Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #706 of 1,769
Hey guys I am considering Bathys but only because of ANC - I want max isolation possible. Can I use ANC with Analog in so I don’t drain the battery?

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #708 of 1,769
Yeah it’s pretty bad.

Hope to see some proper review soon, @Resolve first impressions on headphone.com is by far the best stuff around.
Yeah it’s pretty bad.

Hope to see some proper review soon, @Resolve first impressions on headphone.com is by far the best stuff around.
The headphone show reviewed the Bathys except it wasn’t Resolve but DMS. He compared to the Focal Radiance and praised the Bathys heavily, claiming he would get rid of his Radiance and the Bathys would replace them. Not very credible or objective.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #709 of 1,769
Agreed. As good as Bathys is, no way I’ll get rid of my Radiance and only use Bathys in all situations. They’re just too far apart.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #711 of 1,769
Is the sound quality with usb-connection much better than with 3,5 mm? I ask because I want to buy the Clear and because the Clear doesn't need lots of power there could be no reason to buy the Bathys, too for using it at home. The only disadvantage is Apple's cheap dongle.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #712 of 1,769
The headphone show reviewed the Bathys except it wasn’t Resolve but DMS. He compared to the Focal Radiance and praised the Bathys heavily, claiming he would get rid of his Radiance and the Bathys would replace them. Not very credible or objective.
It's a review -- it's supposed to be subjective. Every good reviewer -- like DMS -- should enter the evaluation process in an objective frame of mind. But offering opinions on a product eventually comes down to subjectivity, augmented by facts such as specs and frequency curves.

For example: You and I could read the same spec sheet and frequency curve from a headphone and agree on those facts or metrics. But we may listen to the same can and perceive the sound differently due to our hearing levels, our brains and what we want from a headphone. That's not a question of credibility or objectivity -- it's purely subjective.

That's why reviews are guideposts in the purchasing process, not the gospel. You must know what YOU want and adjust accordingly. That's why I always flinch when I see rare posts saying: "I'm an audiophile noob and have a $5,000 budget. What's the best headphone I can buy?" That poster has no effing clue what they want and should at least try to take a journey through various sound signatures to learn what they like before dropping four or five kilobucks on their first headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #713 of 1,769
Is the sound quality with usb-connection much better than with 3,5 mm? I ask because I want to buy the Clear and because the Clear doesn't need lots of power there could be no reason to buy the Bathys, too for using it at home. The only disadvantage is Apple's cheap dongle.
The USB quality will be improved as it has fewer DA conventions.3.5 sounds great, but USB is better. I also have Clear and would never say that they don't need power. Listening to them from, say, Apple dongle, Ipad, and so on makes no sense, they will feel bright and weak. Medium-powered good DAC will make them sing, but make no mistake, Clear sounds very much like the source is. They are very transparent.... so...please consider a decent source to get the best of them.

Sound-wise, they are different. Bathys ( placed right on the ears, meaning that the center of the speaker is aimed at the center of the ear canal- reducing unnecessary echoes ) is rather warm, and its mids/treble is polite. They do sound really amazing for ANC closed-back headphones really. Clears have a different base a bit, much smoother and natural mids, and a bit nasal, but the more energetic top end. They are open though and require silence to listen to. Bathys, not really. I love both of them, and as much as they share similarities, they pose different characters. Radiance is more of a direct competition to bathys but from memory more a competent one technically and musiaclly.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #714 of 1,769
Still trying to broaden my knowledge of BT headphones due to being a "wired" veteran of almost 50 years. On this forum and others I've seen reference to DAC/amps such as FiiO BTR5 or 7. Would I be correct in saying that it works similarly to the likes of an iFi GO Bar or a Mojo 2, but also has the ability to connect wirelessly to a mobile phone via Bluetooth removing the need for wires? If so what are the benefits of having such a device and using with the Bathys?
I presume you are still limited to what Codec your mobile phone allows? eg I have a Samsung S22 + which means I cannot get LDAC or APT X HD or APT X Adaptive so I'm guessing that a device like FiiO BTR5 or 7 would not be able to magic these Codecs up for me?

Thanks. (also posted on the other headfi Bathys thread)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #716 of 1,769
Still trying to broaden my knowledge of BT headphones due to being a "wired" veteran of almost 50 years. On this forum and others I've seen reference to DAC/amps such as FiiO BTR5 or 7. Would I be correct in saying that it works similarly to the likes of an iFi GO Bar or a Mojo 2, but also has the ability to connect wirelessly to a mobile phone via Bluetooth removing the need for wires?
Yes, it is. The way IFI GO Bar work is that it takes DIGITAL input from USB and does D/A conversion and amplification and exports that to headphones. The BTR5 has additional BT output, capable of exporting audio to BT receivers like headphones.
If so what are the benefits of having such a device and using with the Bathys?

Hmm, not much of a benefit the way I see it. If You use Mojo 2 for example and export audio to Bathys via 3.5mm You will do:

Digital-> Mojo 2 ( Digital to Analg conversion ) -> Bathys ( Analog to Digital Convertion / DSP / Digital to analog conversion) -> Speaker.

So You add extra conventions and those are never a good thing really regardless of the quality of conversion.

Using FIIO BTR 7 You gain potentially an AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX Adaptive/aptX HD/LDAC codec list, so if You listen from iPhone using BT You will gain an APTX Adaptive in the portfolio and that's a good thing. You do lose a bit of convenience here though due to the additional dongle.

But, for pure quality, it is best to connect USB-> Bathys and get no additional conversions and HiRes Audio. And compared to iPhone AAC the difference is MASSIVE to my ears.
I presume you are still limited to what Codec your mobile phone allows? eg I have a Samsung S22 + which means I cannot get LDAC or APT X HD or APT X Adaptive so I'm guessing that a device like FiiO BTR5 or 7 would not be able to magic these Codecs up for me?

Thanks. (also posted on the other headfi Bathys thread)
From what I saw only BTR7 adds new codecs but could be wrong. Hope that makes sense ( guys correct me if I am wrong here ) and is helpful.

Kuba

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #717 of 1,769
Yes, it is. The way IFI GO Bar work is that it takes DIGITAL input from USB and does D/A conversion and amplification and exports that to headphones. The BTR5 has additional BT output, capable of exporting audio to BT receivers like headphones.

Hmm, not much of a benefit the way I see it. If You use Mojo 2 for example and export audio to Bathys via 3.5mm You will do:

Digital-> Mojo 2 ( Digital to Analg conversion ) -> Bathys ( Analog to Digital Convertion / DSP / Digital to analog conversion) -> Speaker.

So You add extra conventions and those are never a good thing really regardless of the quality of conversion.

Using FIIO BTR 7 You gain potentially an AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX Adaptive/aptX HD/LDAC codec list, so if You listen from iPhone using BT You will gain an APTX Adaptive in the portfolio and that's a good thing. You do lose a bit of convenience here though due to the additional dongle.

But, for pure quality, it is best to connect USB-> Bathys and get no additional conversions and HiRes Audio. And compared to iPhone AAC the difference is MASSIVE to my ears.

From what I saw only BTR7 adds new codecs but could be wrong. Hope that makes sense ( guys correct me if I am wrong here ) and is helpful.

Kuba
Thanks for the explanations Kuba.

Edit - I have a Mojo 2, and while I appreciate what you are saying about extra conversions, aren't there still gains to be made by getting better amplification from the Mojo 2? And also I'm not being limited to 48khz sample rates from my Samsung S22 plus, the Mojo 2 gives you much higher rates than that.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #718 of 1,769
Thanks for the explanations Kuba.

Edit - I have a Mojo 2, and while I appreciate what you are saying about extra conversions, aren't there still gains to be made by getting better amplification from the Mojo 2? And also I'm not being limited to 48khz sample rates from my Samsung S22 plus, the Mojo 2 gives you much higher rates than that.
Final amplification is done by Bathys. Mojo one is... "neglected" by later A/D conversion - that's how I understand it.

Jan 3, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #720 of 1,769
Hey there,

I'm really interested in buying the Focal Bathys because I'm looking for a decent dynamic closed-back ANC headphone for walking, travelling and hiking. Does anybody happen to know how to compare the Focal Bathys with the Focal Clear (OG) Professional?

Besides, the most listened music will be Symphonic Metal, Melodic Death Metal and Metalcore. Are these headphones well suited for this? I really enjoy those genres with the Focal Clear, that is why I am asking. :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back