Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 26, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #617 of 1,728
The Mark Levinson no. 5909 has dropped by £100 in UK:
ML5909 = £899 inc tax in UK. (REDUCED FROM £999)
Focal Bathys = £699 inc tax in UK.
PX8 = £599 inc tax in UK.

Can i ask if all 3 headphones were the same price as PX8 = £599 which would you choose?

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #618 of 1,728
The idea that price is a guarantee, or even reliable metric of how good a headphone sounds, which is subjective to a large extent anyway is an oversimplification. I think somebody mentioned because the 5909 was $200 more you would expect it to be noticeably better. That just has nothing to do with anything. That extra $200 might be accounted for by factors, many factors, that have nothing to do with sound quality. A well designed headphone with good materials is likely to cost more, that isn't controversial, but once you get to a certain level of sound reproduction fidelity, the cost to performance relationship is anything but linear.

The idea that a headphone driver changes in anyway that is audible after several hours of use is simply misguided. Even when manufacturers post statements like the headphone needs x hours of burn-in, they say that because they realize there is so much audio myth about that anyway, so they might as well write it because so many people are under that unfounded and completely unsubstantiated assumption. It doesn't hurt them to post it as people like it, and it can't be tested in anyway that would ever come back to hurt them legally anyway so why not use it as marketing material? They know full well that it is the user who adapts given a little time so this marketing technique of silly burn-in claims buys them time with their customer who will now wait long enough for their brain to adapt hence avoiding many returns from people who don't like the initial perception of the sound signature.

The driver's and dampening/suspension system are not changing audibly, your brain is adapting to a new sound signature. We have mountains and mountains of evidence about how our sensory system changes and adapts, we have ZERO evidence that these proposed mechanical changes that can happen ever, ever reach any level close to audibility. Just measuring a change due to mechanical change does not mean it is audible, it means that the equipment is sensitive enough to measure extremely tiny changes.

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #619 of 1,728
I was more so going at the other poster saying the 5909s sound like $300 cans lol. That is absolutely preposterous.

In fairness I had a chat with a few folks local to me at an audio store and they said they liked the 5090s quite a bit less than the airpods max's. Not just one of them either, a group of three guys spoke in agreement about really not being impressed with them. I think there are a lot of people especially in audiophile spaces who don't like that kind of Harman tuning.

I went in to see if I could audition the Bathys but they don't have them and said they couldn't get stock for a while, so if I want them I'll probably have to take the plunge without listening. I've never bought a Focal before so I don't have any idea about their 'house sound' either. I booked auditions for the Celestee and Radiance, as I might go for one of those. Really not too sure, would like to try the Bathys as I'd prefer bluetooth if I can get a pair with a satisfactory sound quality.

If I buy the Bathys online does anyone know if I would be able to return them if I dislike them? I looked at for instance John Lewis' returns policy and it seems like the answer would be no, as they don't allow returns for unsealed items.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #620 of 1,728
In fairness I had a chat with a few folks local to me at an audio store and they said they liked the 5090s quite a bit less than the airpods max's. Not just one of them either, a group of three guys spoke in agreement about really not being impressed with them. I think there are a lot of people especially in audiophile spaces who don't like that kind of Harman tuning.

I went in to see if I could audition the Bathys but they don't have them and said they couldn't get stock for a while, so if I want them I'll probably have to take the plunge without listening. I've never bought a Focal before so I don't have any idea about their 'house sound' either. I booked auditions for the Celestee and Radiance, as I might go for one of those. Really not too sure, would like to try the Bathys.

If I buy the Bathys online does anyone know if I would be able to return them if I dislike them? I looked at for instance John Lewis' returns policy and it seems like the answer would be no, as they don't allow returns for unsealed items.
Amazon has the best return policies.

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #621 of 1,728

I went in to see if I could audition the Bathys but they don't have them and said they couldn't get stock for a while, so if I want them I'll probably have to take the plunge without listening. I've never bought a Focal before so I don't have any idea about their 'house sound' either. I booked auditions for the Celestee and Radiance, as I might go for one of those. Really not too sure, would like to try the Bathys.

Are you near London? Selfridges and Sevenoaks Sound and Vision should have the Bathys for you to demo. Maybe Richer Sounds too.

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #622 of 1,728
Are you near London? Selfridges and Sevenoaks Sound and Vision should have the Bathys for you to demo. Maybe Richer Sounds too.

I'm not unfortunately. I'm in York. Richer sounds don't have them (any stores), I've asked.

I do go to London from time to time though but it's usually a work thing and I usually don't have a lot of time spare when I do.

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #623 of 1,728
I'm not unfortunately. I'm in York. Richer sounds don't have them (any stores), I've asked.

I do go to London from time to time though but it's usually a work thing and I usually don't have a lot of time spare when I do.
Ah fair enough. Hifonix in Birmingham is another option - he definitely has a set you could arrange to demo although appreciate that isn't exactly around the corner from York either...

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #624 of 1,728
Nov 26, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #625 of 1,728

I went in to see if I could audition the Bathys but they don't have them and said they couldn't get stock for a while, so if I want them I'll probably have to take the plunge without listening. I've never bought a Focal before so I don't have any idea about their 'house sound' either. I booked auditions for the Celestee and Radiance, as I might go for one of those. Really not too sure, would like to try the Bathys as I'd prefer bluetooth if I can get a pair with a satisfactory sound quality.

Amazon. I bought B&W PX8 the same time as the Bathys and returned the PX8 with no issue thru amazon.

Nov 26, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #626 of 1,728
Amazon. I bought B&W PX8 the same time as the Bathys and returned the PX8 with no issue thru amazon.

I don't think they have the Bathys on amazon.co.uk unfortunately. Else that would work.

Actually, both of these sites seem to have returns policies that would allow you to refund within 30 days even if you open/try them out. Worth having a closer look yourself:

https://petertyson.co.uk/focal-bathys-headphones

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/focal-bathys-noise-cancelling-wireless-headphones

Nice I'll have a look.

Just a quick glance, it looks like the first one strictly specifies that their returns policy only applies to open and unused items, it says that specifically at least in the context of the 'extended Christmas returns policy'.

Looks like audioaffair would be fine though, looks like they could charge you a 20% restocking fee if the item is returned damage, but they will accept it back opened provided it is 'like new'.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #627 of 1,728
The idea that a headphone driver changes in anyway that is audible after several hours of use is simply misguided. Even when manufacturers post statements like the headphone needs x hours of burn-in, they say that because they realize there is so much audio myth about that anyway, so they might as well write it because so many people are under that unfounded and completely unsubstantiated assumption. It doesn't hurt them to post it as people like it, and it can't be tested in anyway that would ever come back to hurt them legally anyway so why not use it as marketing material? They know full well that it is the user who adapts given a little time so this marketing technique of silly burn-in claims buys them time with their customer who will now wait long enough for their brain to adapt hence avoiding many returns from people who don't like the initial perception of the sound signature.

The driver's and dampening/suspension system are not changing audibly, your brain is adapting to a new sound signature. We have mountains and mountains of evidence about how our sensory system changes and adapts, we have ZERO evidence that these proposed mechanical changes that can happen ever, ever reach any level close to audibility. Just measuring a change due to mechanical change does not mean it is audible, it means that the equipment is sensitive enough to measure extremely tiny changes.
DMS did a pretty thorough test and found burn-in noticably affected the FR curve of a brand new pair of headphones. It's worth a look.
If we have this single test, and headphone manufacturers, what we need is more tests or at least one showing the opposite, e.g., no burn in. I trust DMS knows what he's doing, but perhaps you can figure out why the FR changed noticably, especially given he even used new pads after the 200hrs to make sure pads were not the source of the change. It's a very complex issue and I don't have a firm opinion either way, it's just interesting to see some data. I do agree, companies must be aware of brain burn-in and will encourage customers to go that route.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #628 of 1,728
I don't think they have the Bathys on amazon.co.uk unfortunately. Else that would work.

Nice I'll have a look.

Just a quick glance, it looks like the first one strictly specifies that their returns policy only applies to open and unused items, it says that specifically at least in the context of the 'extended Christmas returns policy'.

Looks like audioaffair would be fine though, looks like they could charge you a 20% restocking fee if the item is returned damage, but they will accept it back opened provided it is 'like new'.
I read the first one as only limiting the extension to the return period to unused items. The normal return period continues to apply which should cover you fine. Can maybe call them to check!

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #629 of 1,728
Maybe a stupid question, but I will try anyway :)

How is the focal Bathys while riding a bike / walking outside while it is windy?
My old Bose ANC headphones were unbearable on a bike. The noise canceling was either on, which really didn't work well with wind, or in transparrency mode, which again doesn't work with wind. Increasing the volume also increased the wind noises in both modes.

My wired non ANC closed headphones do just fine. You can hear the wind, but with some volume it almost disappears.

Since the Bathys don't have a "No-ANC" mode, I was wondering if people have experience wearing them outside / on a bike. A no ANC mode is the only thing that seems to be missing from his pair of headphones. Any insights in this topic is very welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back