Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #602 of 1,769
Yes i know but anc is always on so you can’t ignore it as is… I don’t use them on street only at work and home but I move around with them so I have to test this more and conclude if this is a real problem for me but I can see that’s gonna be a real problem for much people…
So today I tested and found that was the headband pressure was the problem so I just adjusted for one step down on the cups and every thing perfect so this only affects if I’m with no shoes at all. Loving these in sound department. Anc is pretty average but is not my 1st demand. Microphones on the other hand seem pretty good as others say my calls sound as good or better from iPhones microphone….

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #603 of 1,769
I'm torn between picking up these or the 5090s but honestly the 5090s look so bad I think I would be a little embarrassed wearing them in public since I think the aesthetic is really poor on the Mark Levinson's. Despite the price the 5090s look like off-brain budget headphones.

The Focal isn't exactly a looker either, but it looks expensive which is something I suppose, and the brand is a bit more recognisable as a premium headphone brand so it doesn't feel cheap.

I think in general, all of these upper priced bluetooth headphones need to do better in this regard. Headphones that get used outside become fashion accessories and a lot of people care about their aesthetic. I'd love to see some premium wireless bluetooth headphones that look something like the Meze Lyric.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #604 of 1,769
I'm torn between picking up these or the 5090s but honestly the 5090s look so bad I think I would be a little embarrassed wearing them in public since I think the aesthetic is really poor on the Mark Levinson's. Despite the price the 5090s look like off-brain budget headphones.

The Focal isn't exactly a looker either, but it looks expensive which is something I suppose, and the brand is a bit more recognisable as a premium headphone brand so it doesn't feel cheap.

I think in general, all of these upper priced bluetooth headphones need to do better in this regard. Headphones that get used outside become fashion accessories and a lot of people care about their aesthetic. I'd love to see some premium wireless bluetooth headphones that look something like the Meze Lyric.
I actually disagree with your first statement. I don't think the 5909s look cheap at all (although I get what you mean as each can is pretty wide).

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #605 of 1,769
Deleted.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #606 of 1,769
I actually disagree with your first statement. I don't think the 5909s look cheap at all (although I get what you mean as each can is pretty wide).

The closest headphones that spring to mind when looking at them are the Actis Nova series by Steelseries.

1669380314579.png

The Mark Levinson

1669380338986.png

It's that oddly blocky exterior that makes me feel that way. The leather headband maybe makes them look a bit more expensive (the Nova's aren't entirely cheap at £300) but not by much. The red finish also makes them look like they could be a gaming brand, because a lot of them go with a red finish. For instance I also own the LCD GX and Schitt Hell and those both use red highlights seemingly as a means to communicate that they are a gaming brand.

So maybe not entirely cheap, but certainly I feel that their design language helps communicate them as something in the sub £300 price mark.

Focal avoid that because they have a long established audiophile brand in the headphone space and the Bathys follow the design language of all of their other headphones, with clear branding. So it's likely that anyone that knows much about audio and headphones will recognise the Bathys, even if Focal haven't had much historical success in the bluetooth headphone market. Despite being a bit odd looking when compared to the minimalist designs of most modern bluetooth headphones, I think Focal were smart to mimic a design that looks like their premium wired sets as that helps communicate what they offer to consumers. Audiophile grade sound, in a pair of headphones with bluetooth and ANC.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #610 of 1,769

If sound quality is your primary concern get the Bathys. He'll there are several above the 5909 in sound quality. Tonality and technical ability isn't that great on the 5909 for the price

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #611 of 1,769
According to several HIGHLY respected reviewers, the Bathys beats them handily. So much that even the Final Audio ux3000 beats the 5909. In other words, 5909 are not even worth $300 in sound quality.

I'm not one to get into review debates, but PLEASE send me over a couple of these reviews.

I literally have both on hand and the 5909s are on another level than the Bathys, and it's not even that close. $300 in sound quality?? Dude, have you even listened to the 5909s?

There are even a couple posters in this very thread who agree that the Bathys don't sound as good as the 5909s. I've literally only found one comparison video between the Bathys and 5909s online on YouTube and that person also agreed that the 5909s are on another level (I know because I was trying to do research before buying either one to see which one to buy.

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #612 of 1,769
The 5909's are 'out of the box better by far' than the Bathys. After about 50/60 hours that changes, substantively for some and less so for others, but especially in DAC mode. Take your time, buy whichever sound better to your ears. It's not about proving anyone right or wrong with either set. IMO they both sound amazing but the 5909s edge it for broader musical tastes. There is no contest for EDM, however, it's Bathys all the way.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #613 of 1,769
The 5909's are 'out of the box better by far' than the Bathys. After about 50/60 hours that changes, substantively for some and less so for others, but especially in DAC mode. Take your time, buy whichever sound better to your ears. It's not about proving anyone right or wrong about either set. IMO they both sound amazing but the 5909s edge it for broader musical tastes. There is no contest for EDM, however, it's Bathys all the way.
I was more so going at the other poster saying the 5909s sound like $300 cans lol. That is absolutely preposterous.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #615 of 1,769
I was more so going at the other poster saying the 5909s sound like $300 cans lol. That is absolutely preposterous.
Hey whats wrong with $300 cans? My Sundara cost $299 and that sounds amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back