Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
May 3, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #1,021 of 1,769
May 4, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #1,022 of 1,769
These arrived today, early impressions are really good, using AAC to start with from my iPhone and the sound is impressive. Staging is better than I was expecting over Bluetooth. I've ordered a long Lightning to USB C OTG cable to go with them so I don't need to cart around the camera adapter.

I have a few (...) other BT cans if anyone is after any comparisons once I've given these a good physical and brain burn in period. My over ear BT collection as of today (Senn Momentum 2/3/4, Sony XM4/5, Yamaha YH-E700A/YH-L700A, B&W Px7 / Px7S2 / Px8, B&O H95 / Portal, Apple APM, Technics EAH-A800, Shure Aonic 50, Bose NC700/QC45, Grado GW100x, Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT2, Pioneer MS7BT). I have a problem.

May 4, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,023 of 1,769
These arrived today, early impressions are really good, using AAC to start with from my iPhone and the sound is impressive. Staging is better than I was expecting over Bluetooth. I've ordered a long Lightning to USB C OTG cable to go with them so I don't need to cart around the camera adapter.

I have a few (...) other BT cans if anyone is after any comparisons once I've given these a good physical and brain burn in period. My over ear BT collection as of today (Senn Momentum 2/3/4, Sony XM4/5, Yamaha YH-E700A/YH-L700A, B&W Px7 / Px7S2 / Px8, B&O H95 / Portal, Apple APM, Technics EAH-A800, Shure Aonic 50, Bose NC700/QC45, Grado GW100x, Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT2, Pioneer MS7BT). I have a problem.
Just make sure to adapt the sound with (e.g. the EQ profile of Nomax). Also bear in mind that the Apple camera kit sounds better than a chi-fi Lightning to usb-c cable.

Edit: concerning BT-headphones comparisons also check out this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sid...l-5909-m-d-mw75-focal-bathys-and-more.958727/

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #1,024 of 1,769
May 4, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,025 of 1,769
Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,026 of 1,769
Should i take the left or the rigth one for today? 😎

BBB11B7A-0D36-43A7-B577-892799D8F3B6.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

May 5, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #1,028 of 1,769
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...phones-early-impressions.965153/post-17495082

You can always deviate from his suggestions (like add more bass etc.) but they are great to begin with in my opinion.
Are these generally agreed upon to be the best settings? I've been using the dynamic preset mainly due to laziness but partly a lack of confidence too. Should I reconsider?

OK I just tried them - better than dynamic for sure. Dynamic actually sounds quite subdued/throttled in comparison. I like option 2 the best.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,029 of 1,769
I’m just using the standard no EQ while I get used to them, will try them out later though!

Had them on my head most of yesterday, early days but I think they’ll safely be my favourite Bluetooth cans. Similar to the radiance, just more towards the harman target, assuming the EQ’s linked would correct it back to more of the radiance sound.

May 6, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #1,030 of 1,769
Are these generally agreed upon to be the best settings? I've been using the dynamic preset mainly due to laziness but partly a lack of confidence too. Should I reconsider?

OK I just tried them - better than dynamic for sure. Dynamic actually sounds quite subdued/throttled in comparison. I like option 2 the best.
Hehe, I don’t think the settings are „generally agreed“ to be „the best“ but just trust your ears :wink:
Also they are not cut in stone but I haven‘t found better settings yet (coming from the Focal Stellia). And Nomax, who also owns the Sennheiser HE-1 and has heard multiple (if not nearly all flagship headphones and not seldom helps as a beta-tester to perfect its sound) seems to really know how the harman curve sounds like.

May 6, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #1,031 of 1,769
My preferred settings may please someone...but don't have to
The Stellia just has too much of that woom woom which makes the headphones not really long term usable
Less in this area usually means more....it is always an act of balance...which each user can design for themselves at Bathys
Have Fun my friends 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

May 6, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,032 of 1,769
My preferred settings may please someone...but don't have to
The Stellia just has too much of that woom woom which makes the headphones not really long term usable
Less in this area usually means more....it is always an act of balance...which each user can design for themselves at Bathys
Have Fun my friends 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
At the very least your settings are a useful starting point for folk like myself with little knowledge and experience.

May 7, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,033 of 1,769
Hehe, I don’t think the settings are „generally agreed“ to be „the best“ but just trust your ears :wink:
Also they are not cut in stone but I haven‘t found better settings yet (coming from the Focal Stellia). And Nomax, who also owns the Sennheiser HE-1 and has heard multiple (if not nearly all flagship headphones and not seldom helps as a beta-tester to perfect its sound) seems to really know how the harman curve sounds like.

I am not a big fan of the Harman Target as far as the left side is concerned.
(But on the right side it gets my full approval)
There are only very few models where this increase on the left side also really fits the Earcup
And closed back models fits this not at all.....I'm not a proponent of this Woom Woom, which is just in a closed model much more to the point than
as in an open back headphone
But this is just my opinion about the Harman Target tonality in closed back headphone models

Let's take this track here

With the new dynamic preset.....for me just too much woom woom...not really suitable for the long term

.....or this one

I prefer this preset more,why?less woom woom...to my ears suitable for longer term 😉

-2db/62Hz
-1db/250 Hz
+1db/1KHz
+2db/4Khz
+2db/16khz

NOMAX

PS.there is however an exception....the Stealth,his closed earcup is ingenious 👍

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #1,034 of 1,769
I am not a big fan of the Harman Target as far as the left side is concerned.
(But on the right side it gets my full approval)
There are only very few models where this increase also really fits the Earcup
And closed back models fits this not at all.....I'm not a proponent of this Woom Woom, which is just in a closed model much more to the point than as in an open back headphone

Let's take this track here

With the new dynamic preset.....for me just too much woom woom...not really suitable for the long term

.....i prefer this one more 😉

-2db/62Hz
-1db/250 Hz
+1db/1KHz
+2db/4Khz
+2db/16khz

NOMAX

PS.there is however an exception....the Stealth 👍

Please can you explain left side and right side?

May 7, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,035 of 1,769
I mean that a headphone must sound bright enough (right side to harman)......but the Harman bass,the left side to the target (low end) does not really suit every Earcup
(Especially with complex music pieces as well as levels above 90db )

Wish you a nice day....I will enjoy mine today with Bathys at the lake 👍

CA486451-1F25-4C98-860D-69663D7AE623.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back