Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 1,708
Also perhaps a silly question, but regarding AptX adaptive: If my source has AptX HD is the Bathys backwords compatible to allow 24 bit?

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #33 of 1,708
Wonder what the battery replacement options are like. This is a big investment for something with a built-in battery and will eventually require servicing.
I also like to know the answer to this when it comes to high end active headphones. Hate to see them go down as disposable tech like smart phones.

So you can't use the Bathys as passive wired headphones via the 3.5mm audio jack. Does this means it has an A/D converter and applies DSP and DAC out again? or is it just an analog to analog stage?

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #35 of 1,708
The problem I have with these is all focal headphones have been incredibly sensitive to deal and my day to day glasses are a no go. I have specific glasses for headphones at home but they are a no go when traveling. The AirPods Max are great because they eq to adjust for breaking the deal dynamically.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #38 of 1,708
Can anyone confirm that you can plug these into an iPhone and use the built in DAC?
Bathys USB-C cable termination - to -> USB-A adapter - to -> Apple lightning "Camera adapter" - to -> iPhone lightning port. Bulky and approximately $40 USD more on top of the Bathys' cost.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #39 of 1,708
Another good comparison would be to see how it sounds next to the B&W PX8.
Indeed.
I had Celestee and P9 both for a while, they were staggeringly different listens. I don't feel like review sites do justice to the difference in sound signatures usually, and just get into technicalities. On that it's likely Bathys will likely be better, as Celestee was better than P9, in about every metric. Especially tonal balance, B&W tend to be overbearing in the lows. But P9 rendered vocals and instruments with a delicious, warm quality I've not heard elsewhere, the headphone equivalent of vinyl to me. Maybe PX8 will be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back