FM Tuner?
Jul 19, 2010 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

darknessproz

100+ Head-Fier
Is it just me, or is it incredibly hard to find a cheap FM Tuner (not A/V receiver) these days? Anyone has any to suggest? Something cheap that will allow me to pick up local radio stations, budget <SGD50.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 15
Yes, but you might need to spend a little more money.  I think that SDG50 works out to about $35 USD, and the Sony XDR-F1HD runs about $75-$100USD over here.  I'm a lover of radio and the XDR-F1HD is one of the best tuners out there - it uses DSP and a few other tricks to dramatically improve reception and performance.  You can find a detailed technical explanation and a few mods here.

I've owned one for a couple of years and remain impressed with it.  I also have an old all-tube FM stereo receiver which I also love, but the XDR-F1HD is pretty wonderful.  Shame it isn't more widely loved - I think every audiophile should have a good tuner.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 15
Hmm, i won't mind spending that amount of money, but does Sony still sell it? The official site does not give any details on it. It SO hard to find a good FM tuner nowadays, and i don't really want to drop a whole bunch of money on a receiver as i use active speakers(Audioengine A2's)

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 15
I'll check around, but i doubt i can find a decent one, anyone who lives in Singapore knows where i could get such a tuner? :D Or is willing to sell me one for that matter.

I do have an uncle who's working in America ATM, i could buy on Amazon and get him to pass it to me, but i'll explore my other options.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 15
I ran a search on the Sony tuner - it appears to be in stock at a number of US retailers. See if your uncle can't find one - they are quite good.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, let me tell you as I can really contribute something of substance finally- try the Sangean HDT-1X. This a HD tuner, not super solid build, but the best sound I have heard from a radio ever. Granted, I run it thru mt Audio-gd Ref-1 via it's optical output, but radio sounds so natural and real. It's completely worth the $150. I had a problem with it just past it's 1 year warranty and a call to them in CA got a me a new unit without hassle of any kind.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 15
I agree that used is the way to go with tuners, unless HD radio or satellite radio is desirable. I grabbed a used Sansui TU-217 a few weeks back for $20 at my local vinyl shop. It was far from top of the line when new, but it's head and shoulders above what you find built into today's receivers.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 15
  I have had NAD and Cambridge Audio tuners but nothing compares to the sound quality of HD radio thru the Sangean- check the reviews.

Unfortunately, HD Radio has been corrupted in the United States and will most likely never succeed as an audiophile medium.  It has actually ended up with worse quality than analog FM.  This is because almost all stations that use it choose to chop up the bandwidth to broadcast more channels.  The result is that the available bandwidth for HD Radio is often 24-48kHz, much worse than even the lowest mp3 rate that anyone around here would accept.  Tests have shown that 300+kHz rates are needed to sound as good as a truly quality analog FM broadcast (like a live concert on NPR).  HD Radio is not anywhere capable of that even if they don't chop it up into HD1, 2, and 3 channels.

Add that to the Ibiquity fees and the format is going to die.  GM stopped providing HD radio in some of their trucks and cars in 2015.

It is true that the digital format offers the most convenience and fair sound is easier to achieve.  Great sound with analog FM takes a lot of work requiring a great tuner, a quality broadcast/station, and a really great antenna.  All of those are getting harder and harder to obtain these days.  However, given the way HD Radio has been implemented in the US (and DAB in Europe), the audiophile quality potential of analog FM is still greater.*

Yes - another old thread I resurrected.
wink.gif

* Another issue that HD Radio has created is that the some of the frequencies broadcast are low enough to cause phase and distortion effects in an analog FM signal.  If an analog FM tuner doesn't have something known as a post-detection filter or similar, you get what is now known as HD Radio noise in your analog FM.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 15

Unfortunately, HD Radio has been corrupted in the United States and will most likely never succeed as an audiophile medium.  It has actually ended up with worse quality than analog FM.  This is because almost all stations that use it choose to chop up the bandwidth to broadcast more channels.  The result is that the available bandwidth for HD Radio is often 24-48kHz, much worse than even the lowest mp3 rate that anyone around here would accept.  Tests have shown that 300+kHz rates are needed to sound as good as a truly quality analog FM broadcast (like a live concert on NPR).  HD Radio is not anywhere capable of that even if they don't chop it up into HD1, 2, and 3 channels.

Add that to the Ibiquity fees and the format is going to die.  GM stopped providing HD radio in some of their trucks and cars in 2015.

It is true that the digital format offers the most convenience and fair sound is easier to achieve.  Great sound with analog FM takes a lot of work requiring a great tuner, a quality broadcast/station, and a really great antenna.  All of those are getting harder and harder to obtain these days.  However, given the way HD Radio has been implemented in the US (and DAB in Europe), the audiophile quality potential of analog FM is still greater.*

wink.gif

* Another issue that HD Radio has created is that the some of the frequencies broadcast are low enough to cause phase and distortion effects in an analog FM signal.  If an analog FM tuner doesn't have something known as a post-detection filter or similar, you get what is now known as HD Radio noise in your analog FM.

my local HD broadcasts in Chicago are substantially better quality than the standard feed through the sangeon (it is not subtle), just my direct experience. I was never looking for audiophile sound just a quieter, more refined feed
what is your experience with HD radio?

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 15

wink.gif

my local HD broadcasts in Chicago are substantially better quality than the standard feed through the sangeon (it is not subtle), just my direct experience. I was never looking for audiophile sound just a quieter, more refined feed
what is your experience with HD radio?

There's nothing that says the standard feed in the Sangean is of any great quality.
wink.gif
  You are correct, though, that HD probably provides a more convenient, dependably quiet signal.  However, the audiophile potential is not there, whereas in analog FM - it still is.

I've got a Sony XDR tuner and a Best Buys Insignia HD portable.  Both are interesting and I've played around with HD radio quite a bit, but a great analog FM tuner with a good broadcast is still superior.  Mathematically, the HD Ibiquity format just doesn't have the basic analog FM capability, especially when the typical station chops up the bandwidth into 1 or 2 more channels.  Interestingly, most people do not buy the Sony XDR for its HD capability.  Instead, it happens to be one of the most sensitive analog FM tuners ever made.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 15

There's nothing that says the standard feed in the Sangean is of any great quality.
wink.gif
  You are correct, though, that HD probably provides a more convenient, dependably quiet signal.  However, the audiophile potential is not there, whereas in analog FM - it still is.

I've got a Sony XDR tuner and a Best Buys Insignia HD portable.  Both are interesting and I've played around with HD radio quite a bit, but a great analog FM tuner with a good broadcast is still superior.  Mathematically, the HD Ibiquity format just doesn't have the basic analog FM capability, especially when the typical station chops up the bandwidth into 1 or 2 more channels.  Interestingly, most people do not buy the Sony XDR for its HD capability.  Instead, it happens to be one of the most sensitive analog FM tuners ever made.

Well the difference in HD vs analog on the Sangean is substantial here in Chicago, not even close, it's like 1950s vs. a CD and NPR is like you're in the studio with them on my system- maybe try a Sangeon, they are on eBay here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back