FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #421 of 1,084
I would like to hear opinions of Mentor vs Master 19 but from more recent experience. A post from above said the Mentor had better dynamics and control. At the master 19's 9.5 watts into 40 ohms, I can't imagine how much more dynamics and control something can have.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #422 of 1,084
I would like to hear opinions of Mentor vs Master 19 but from more recent experience. A post from above said the Mentor had better dynamics and control. At the master 19's 9.5 watts into 40 ohms, I can't imagine how much more dynamics and control something can have.
Yeah, you are right, head to head, the result can be different, the memories can lie, Is I said in my post, I had the M19 some time ago...

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #424 of 1,084
So guys today arrived my Mentor, Christmass is here😀. My first impresions are great, absolute ink-black background, excellent dynamics, great texture, detail-monster, great exponential volume control (you can use iems and also susvara) BIG 3D space... So it was great choice.. This is my most expensive amp I had and I have not very big experiences (Burson conductor 3xr, S17 Pro, Earmen Ch-amp, Master19, Smsl sh9) , but I cant imagine, that something can be better..
Big sound stage is why I ordered the Mentor. Supposedly 2 Mentors have a slightly bigger stage in dual mono mode. Uggg but i didn’t want to order another one without knowing how the amp sound like.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #425 of 1,084
If it is more than enough even for Tungsten, for whom is really the stack of 2? What I see is the opposite trend today, headphones are getting more sensitive and with lower impedance than in the past. Or put it in another way, are there already any more real-life comparisons between single and double Mentors?
Soundnews attempted to do this comparison, but I struggled to get from that some clear takeaway.
I think it'll be noticeably better with Tungsten and maybe Susvara, but, horribly bad cost to improvement ratio. Like always; diminishing returns.
But LORDY 33w is some serious power and if there ever are anymore Tungsten-like cans you'll be set.
But, yeah- unnecessary for sure.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #426 of 1,084
If Mentor could be also used as a preamp, then the stack would have a much higher value, because then I could use it at the same time also for dual monoblocks for speakers. But solely for the headphones, I think it's mainly for die-hard fans (which is still great that this option exists).
yeah you nailed it.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #427 of 1,084
So guys today arrived my Mentor, Christmass is here😀. My first impresions are great, absolute ink-black background, excellent dynamics, great texture, detail-monster, great exponential volume control (you can use iems and also susvara) BIG 3D space... So it was great choice.. This is my most expensive amp I had and I have not very big experiences (Burson conductor 3xr, S17 Pro, Earmen Ch-amp, Master19, Smsl sh9) , but I cant imagine, that something can be better..
Well, there you go @devilboy

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #428 of 1,084
Yep, for me the fact that it doesn't have any pre-amp functionality it's kind of a big issue, fortunately I already have a solution in place for that. Either my current setup it's used for my 2.1 speaker system and I get the cyan 2 and mentor for critical headphone listening or I pre-amp the mentor with my S17 using it's balanced pre-outs, while still using the single ended pre-outs of the S17 for my 2.1 speaker system, the Cyan 2 replacing my current DAC the SMSL SU8s, which I suspect it's going to be audio nirvana.
Oh yessir!@ You are on a mission too, i see. Cyan2 + Mentor is going to be fabulous.
The Cyan 2, The Pontus II, and the Yggy GS2 were my targeted DACs, but, finding a used Gungnir for $750 was too go to pass up- So, Yggy Lite.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #430 of 1,084
Oh yessir!@ You are on a mission too, i see. Cyan2 + Mentor is going to be fabulous.
The Cyan 2, The Pontus II, and the Yggy GS2 were my targeted DACs, but, finding a used Gungnir for $750 was too go to pass up- So, Yggy Lite.
I'm on the Cyan 2 thread also reading and learning stuff about it, apparently one guy accidentally bricked his unit by downloading the wrong driver so it seems, that's concerning tbh fam

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #431 of 1,084
I'm on the Cyan 2 thread also reading and learning stuff about it, apparently one guy accidentally bricked his unit by downloading the wrong driver so it seems, that's concerning tbh fam
???

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #432 of 1,084
yikes!
Luckily you know your way around a PC and hopefully a bios update lol.
That is crazy though. Every time I do a GPU firmware update (very rare and almost never needed) but, i did have to do on on my old Asus RTX 3090 a couple years ago when Re-sizable BAR came out and it was a bit nerve racking.

Why would a brand new product even need a firmware update though??

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #434 of 1,084
Ooh, lucky bugger on the Gungnir.
Oh, yeah, they told me it had only been posted for about an hour and the last time they got one in (music store in Denver Colorado area called The Music Room) they sold it the same day as well.

I just looked as I'm typing this and there isnt a Gungnir for sale on Ebay, Headfi Classified, nor any other store I can find with a Google Search. Pretty lucky indeed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back