FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #391 of 1,010
For some not :).. but I think I will just close the door. Really, I can't possibly see why I would need two of them at any point of time. It's just tempting but obviously unnecessary.
only reason to is Tungsten or Susvara.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #392 of 1,010
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #393 of 1,010
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #394 of 1,010
My understanding is Susvara is fine with just one Mentor. Tungsten maybe needs two..
If that is true, that is a substantial shift in the power requirements versus money spent for amplification for the Susvara.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #395 of 1,010
After long research and even longer waiting for Schiit MJ3 here in Europe, I'm converting to Mentor. Hopefully, it's not a mistake, I still can't be sure. Both seem to be great, MJ3 might be even stronger in bass, looks like. It's just a feeling and I want to support a company like Flux.

Still trying to decide whether to leave the door open and order it with mono input or not. Most likely I will never need it, but what if I will reach that state and age that I will just feel I need to buy it... It would be cool, I never dare to do monoblocks with my speaker systems.

But maybe at that time, I'll rather want to try a different flavour of headamp rather than the same twice.
If adding the mono option is not that prohibitively expensive for you, I think you should add it anyways, it's not going to get in the way either if you never end up grabing another one and run them in mono.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #396 of 1,010
I'm considering being the next. Lol.
I returned my MJ3 and am thinking about the Mentor. I really like my Audio GD Master 19 though...
Why did you return your MJ3 btw?

I think I recall you posting about it but I don't remember exactly what you're reason was for returning it.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #397 of 1,010
For some not :).. but I think I will just close the door. Really, I can't possibly see why I would need two of them at any point of time. It's just tempting but obviously unnecessary.
In anticipation of Ryan of ModHouse releasing Tungsten 2.0 that's going to be 2,000,000 ohms in impedance and -17dB in sensitivity, that's why.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #398 of 1,010
Why did you return your MJ3 btw?

I think I recall you posting about it but I don't remember exactly what you're reason was for returning it.
Eh, it was a little "slow", slightly bright and I heard a lot of quality issues with it. It just put a bad feeling in my gut and I really didn't have a lot of confidence in the product. I thought there was better out there. Better sounding and better made.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #399 of 1,010
If that is true, that is a substantial shift in the power requirements versus money spent for amplification for the Susvara.
I would leave that on Ichos to confirm, as that is my primary source for this statement..

If adding the mono option is not that prohibitively expensive for you, I think you should add it anyways, it's not going to get in the way either if you never end up grabing another one and run them in mono.
oh common.. yea there is some truth to that, 70 is not the end of the world. But I think before building monoblocks for headphones, I would rather do it for speakers. And then I will have no money left for headphones monoblocks anyway :).. But I will let it think through the night just in case..

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #400 of 1,010
My understanding is Susvara is fine with just one Mentor. Tungsten maybe needs two..
I'm sure it will sound amazing af. But- Susvara keeps on scaling up. So, it would definitely sound "better" with 2 Flux. But how much better? Idk, 5%, 10% maybe 15.

Another thing to consider on the $79 mono option-
More than half of anybody looking for a used Mentor at any given time will be wanting one with the mono in order to stack them;
aka, better resell value if thats something you consider. As well as more perspective buyers. Personally when I resell stuff I hate waiting around for it to sell so more prospects is a bonus to me.
That said- I'm likely never selling the Mentor.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #401 of 1,010
One Mentor is going to be perfectly fine for Tungsten, it's giving you 1.6w into 300 ohm, more than enough to drive tungsten SS, the double mentor honestly is for the crazy people that want to squeeze maximun performance out of their system and cans to the last drop possible... and I mean crazy people in the context of audiophilia itself, more than 6w into 300ohm is going to drive any headphone on the face of this planet to it's fullest possible potential and then some.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #402 of 1,010
One Mentor is going to be perfectly fine for Tungsten, it's giving you 1.6w into 300 ohm, more than enough to drive tungsten SS, the double mentor honestly is for the crazy people that want to squeeze maximun performance out of their system and cans to the last drop possible.
Exactly. It's likely ~2.6 to 2.8w @ 150 ohm

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #403 of 1,010
Exactly. It's likely ~2.6 to 2.8w @ 150 ohm
With the stereo version of mentor you're above the recommended 20v to drive tungsten SS. Honestly running mentor on mono mode you could possible get to the point that you start distorting Tungsten SS, I remember Resolve from headphones.com in his review commenting the tungsten drivers start to distort at 116 dB.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #404 of 1,010
With the stereo version of mentor you're above the recommended 20v to drive tungsten SS. Honestly running mentor on mono mode you could possible get to the point that you start distorting Tungsten SS, I remember Resolve from headphones.com in his review commenting the tungsten drivers start to distort at 116 dB.
talk about bragging rights!

"Well, MY amp stack distorts them because Tungsten can't handle all those watts"...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #405 of 1,010
Annnnnnd I just bought a Gungnir MB lol. My wallet is screaming at me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back