FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #406 of 1,012
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #407 of 1,012
Slow down…Tungsten will take a long long time to come.
I'm ready now :gs1000smile: . All that's left is It's Immanence Tungsten's arrival this summer.

But, yeah, Mi billetera already laid down the law. May have to get some house special next dispensary run as it is haha

I have been saving for Yggy GS2 but I still didnt have enough to get one silver & Unison and then I found a great used Gungnir MB in Silver, with Unison (i only listen from PC) and then they knocked $50 off when I asked, so, it actually puts a few bucks back in my pocket and is a more realistic dac for me right now anyway. $750 is a steal to me since you can't hardly find them in the config I want used, and they don't sell them anymore new.

So, now we wait...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #408 of 1,012
If that is true, that is a substantial shift in the power requirements versus money spent for amplification for the Susvara.
The Susvara is more than fine with one Mentor and leaving power aside, they are also a match made in heaven.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #409 of 1,012
The Susvara is more than fine with one Mentor and leaving power aside, they are also a match made in heaven.
You are going to be like a proud Papa when we all get our Mentors in.
Your review definitely helped seal the deal for me.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #410 of 1,012
You are going to be like a proud Papa when we all get our Mentors in.
Your review definitely helped seal the deal for me.
I am just a honest reviewer, Flux Lab Acoustics are going to be the proud papas!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #411 of 1,012
If it is more than enough even for Tungsten, for whom is really the stack of 2? What I see is the opposite trend today, headphones are getting more sensitive and with lower impedance than in the past. Or put it in another way, are there already any more real-life comparisons between single and double Mentors?
Soundnews attempted to do this comparison, but I struggled to get from that some clear takeaway.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #412 of 1,012
If it is more than enough even for Tungsten, for whom is really the stack of 2? What I see is the opposite trend today, headphones are getting more sensitive and with lower impedance than in the past. Or put it in another way, are there already any more real-life comparisons between single and double Mentors?
Soundnews attempted to do this comparison, but I struggled to get from that some clear takeaway.
I was reading up on this and the comparison was about soundstage being bigger on the dual stack vs single. They only do better as a dual vs the previous highly regarded amp, the Volot.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #413 of 1,012
I was reading up on this and the comparison was about soundstage being bigger on the dual stack vs single. They only do better as a dual vs the previous highly regarded amp, the Volot.
If Mentor could be also used as a preamp, then the stack would have a much higher value, because then I could use it at the same time also for dual monoblocks for speakers. But solely for the headphones, I think it's mainly for die-hard fans (which is still great that this option exists).

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #414 of 1,012
If Mentor could be also used as a preamp, then the stack would have a much higher value, because then I could use it at the same time also for dual monoblocks for speakers. But solely for the headphones, I think it's mainly for die-hard fans (which is still great that this option exists).
So guys today arrived my Mentor, Christmass is here😀. My first impresions are great, absolute ink-black background, excellent dynamics, great texture, detail-monster, great exponential volume control (you can use iems and also susvara) BIG 3D space... So it was great choice.. This is my most expensive amp I had and I have not very big experiences (Burson conductor 3xr, S17 Pro, Earmen Ch-amp, Master19, Smsl sh9) , but I cant imagine, that something can be better..

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #415 of 1,012
Yep, for me the fact that it doesn't have any pre-amp functionality it's kind of a big issue, fortunately I already have a solution in place for that. Either my current setup it's used for my 2.1 speaker system and I get the cyan 2 and mentor for critical headphone listening or I pre-amp the mentor with my S17 using it's balanced pre-outs, while still using the single ended pre-outs of the S17 for my 2.1 speaker system, the Cyan 2 replacing my current DAC the SMSL SU8s, which I suspect it's going to be audio nirvana.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #416 of 1,012
So guys today arrived my Mentor, Christmass is here😀. My first impresions are great, absolute ink-black background, excellent dynamics, great texture, detail-monster, great exponential volume control (you can use iems and also susvara) BIG 3D space... So it was great choice.. This is my most expensive amp I had and I have not very big experiences (Burson conductor 3xr, S17 Pro, Earmen Ch-amp, Master19, Smsl sh9) , but I cant imagine, that something can be better..
I'm gonna send you my DT880s to see if they sound good in that amp and it's not a treble cannon, that would be the ultimate test.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #417 of 1,012
Yep, for me the fact that it doesn't have any pre-amp functionality it's kind of a big issue, fortunately I already have a solution in place for that. Either my current setup it's used for my 2.1 speaker system and I get the cyan 2 and mentor for critical headphone listening or I pre-amp the mentor with my S17 using it's balanced pre-outs, while still using the single ended pre-outs of the S17 for my 2.1 speaker system, the Cyan 2 replacing my current DAC the SMSL SU8s, which I suspect it's going to be audio nirvana.
My setup will be similar, just instead of Cyan 2 it will be Pontus 2 - balanced outs to Mentor and single ended to Usher P-307A and Usher R1.5 combo. Although I have a feeling Pontus can accept only one at a time.. will need to check this if I need to physically disconnect one of the outputs.

Just out of curiosity, I think I will try to preamp Mentor with P-307A what it will do. I guess nothing overly great but who knows :D.

Today I sent the money so the finish line is ahead.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #418 of 1,012
I'm gonna send you my DT880s to see if they sound good in that amp and it's not a treble cannon, that would be the ultimate test.
😀👍 that should be expensive.. the trebles seems to be to me awsome, not offensive but every detail is there..

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #419 of 1,012
How would you compare it to the Master-19?

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #420 of 1,012
How would you compare it to the Master-19?
It is from memory and at that time I had also another HPs, so it is not very worthy.. but I believe, that Mentor has better control, dynamics, details, texture and a blacker background. There is a video on YT (comparison of some amps incl. Master19) from midfi guy, I agree with him... But Master19 is also great preamp (I used it at that time as preamp mainly) also with excelent volume implementation like Mentor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back