Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #586 of 2,598
Took another Neutral Transparent Solid state DAC/Amp Simaudio Moon Neo 430 HAD to compare with Musical Solid state DAC/Amp FCN-10, used Neutral Highly resolving HP Utopia as pairing for this comparison. With Neutral Amps, Utopia is tad brighter and not necessarily Neutral though. Utopia morphs to the DAC/Amp and sounds different with different setup. Also added brief Abyss 1266 & HE1000 comparison below

The table looked good in preview but not showing well in this message so had to attach the comparison as a spreadsheet

Attachments

• Comparison.xlsx
    16 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #587 of 2,598
You really gotta take the dac out of these amp comparisons. Meaning same dac for both amps.

But then again I guess this is a comparo for aio units.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #590 of 2,598
No Theme Reviews is one of the best, IMHO. I purchased my NAD HP 50 after watching one of his reviews. The HP 50 are awesome. Thinking of buying another pair, just for reserve.
Not one of best, probably the best ! Kinda fact IMHO. No BS but my problem with him is this following: too honest to the point he is not making a name for himself which results in lack of sponsors by manufactures. He needs to be bias a little to get more products as his channels are so limited to gears which is VERY sad.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #591 of 2,598
Not a review, just another data point. Received my Fa-10 2 days ago, so the amplifier is not burn-in yet. Having said that, I think I already found which headphone I like with the amplifier.

My current reference set-up is Rockna Wavedream dac- DNA Stratus- Hifiman HE-1000SE. Yes, I prefer HE-1000SE with Stratus over HD800 and Focal Utopia. The reason why I bought FA-10 was because I wanted a solid-state amplifier sound where the image is sharper, bass is more defined and background is blacker, to compliment my tube amplifier.

I tried the Fa-10 with HE-1000SE, ZMF Auteur, Zenith PMx2, HD-650 and Meze Rai Panta iem. I had wanted to use Fa-10 primarily with HE-1000SE, but I was disappointed that the combination didn't turn out to be what I like. While there is sharper image and more details, the tonality just did not sound as organic. HE-1000SE on my Stratus sounds more realistic.

Next I tried ZMF Auteur. It is a headphone that I hardly use because it just can't match up with HE-1000SE, whether with Stratus or with Cayin iHA-6 which I previously owned. However, on Fa-10, the headphone was elevated to my new end game combination. I never expected that Auteur can sound so good! With Fa-10, the combination provided everything I wish for: big soundstage, highly musical, realistic and non-fatiguing. To think I almost thought of selling the Auteur away a few months ago.

No doubt Fa-10 is a very capable amplifier, but I think alot still boil down to synergy and your other equipment. I am glad that I found a very high performing combination with the Fa-10. Thus it is a keeper in my book :)

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #592 of 2,598
I had wanted to use Fa-10 primarily with HE-1000SE, but I was disappointed that the combination didn't turn out to be what I like. While there is sharper image and more details, the tonality just did not sound as organic. HE-1000SE on my Stratus sounds more realistic.

Interesting, I have HE6se which is even more technical than HEKse. Thru FA-10, HE6se is so lifelike and natural that I really don’t feel the need for a more organic or realistic sound.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #593 of 2,598
Not a review, just another data point. Received my Fa-10 2 days ago, so the amplifier is not burn-in yet. Having said that, I think I already found which headphone I like with the amplifier.

My current reference set-up is Rockna Wavedream dac- DNA Stratus- Hifiman HE-1000SE. Yes, I prefer HE-1000SE with Stratus over HD800 and Focal Utopia. The reason why I bought FA-10 was because I wanted a solid-state amplifier sound where the image is sharper, bass is more defined and background is blacker, to compliment my tube amplifier.

I tried the Fa-10 with HE-1000SE, ZMF Auteur, Zenith PMx2, HD-650 and Meze Rai Panta iem. I had wanted to use Fa-10 primarily with HE-1000SE, but I was disappointed that the combination didn't turn out to be what I like. While there is sharper image and more details, the tonality just did not sound as organic. HE-1000SE on my Stratus sounds more realistic.

Next I tried ZMF Auteur. It is a headphone that I hardly use because it just can't match up with HE-1000SE, whether with Stratus or with Cayin iHA-6 which I previously owned. However, on Fa-10, the headphone was elevated to my new end game combination. I never expected that Auteur can sound so good! With Fa-10, the combination provided everything I wish for: big soundstage, highly musical, realistic and non-fatiguing. To think I almost thought of selling the Auteur away a few months ago.

No doubt Fa-10 is a very capable amplifier, but I think alot still boil down to synergy and your other equipment. I am glad that I found a very high performing combination with the Fa-10. Thus it is a keeper in my book :)

You are absolutely right, pairing is very important for Flux FA-10

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #594 of 2,598

I adore the ZMF Verite C on the FA-10 also!

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #597 of 2,598
Curious - I'm seeing a few FA-10s pop up on the used market lately. Everyone is selling their units for the same price as brand new. How, why, and what am I missing?

When you buy new don't you have to pay for import fees + shipping? The listings I've seen included PP & shipping with the price. My assumption is the lots of demand and limited supply and keeping used prices high.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #598 of 2,598
When you buy new don't you have to pay for import fees + shipping? The listings I've seen included PP & shipping with the price. My assumption is the lots of demand and limited supply and keeping used prices high.
I don't know what the total cost would be buying new, I haven't bought one. I would assume shipping etc, but I've never seen a used product sell for the price of new before... Is the warranty transferrable? If so, I suppose I could see the value.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #599 of 2,598
If you spend a few seconds on the website, you can see how much it'll cost you to get a new one over to the states...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back