Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #571 of 2,598
He has a very positive approach, but he gives good information. He tries to find why someone might like the device, so his reviews are always something like “you will like this if you like these other things”, only terrible products receive a bad review from him.

It’s like the polar opposite of “no theme reviews”.
That's a charitable interpretation.

No Theme Reviews is a curious one. I appreciate his very thorough reviews - which are at times borderline too analytical - though something about his tone is off-putting. Still, his reviews are significantly more beneficial than most of the other current gen YouTube reviewers, who tend to peddle hype and trends.

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #572 of 2,598
Funny how you guys feel about Z I feel about ASR. I watch him for entertainment he is the stradman of the audio world.

if I want detailed reviews I watch currawong, Sandu (sounds news), Josh Valour, Sean (Zero Fidelity), New Record Day, Thomas, Jay(TNBT), headphones.com guys...

darko and gutt are fine but they skim.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #573 of 2,598
That's a charitable interpretation.

No Theme Reviews is a curious one. I appreciate his very thorough reviews - which are at times borderline too analytical - though something about his tone is off-putting. Still, his reviews are significantly more beneficial than most of the other current gen YouTube reviewers, who tend to peddle hype and trends.
At least that guy dont give BS review

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #577 of 2,598
"No area is lacking, but no area impresses (or overwhelms) over another. Comparatively, I’ve heard amps that had lower and more impactful bass, and I’ve heard more distinctive and shimmery highs."

A bit disappointing with the feedback around the dynamics of this pairing. 1266 Phi TC is a dynamics monster when paired well hence why many/most owners will throw $3k+ amps at it. I was hoping that with additional power the FA-10 would make the TC's "sing" similarly to something to akin to the Xi audio formula s amp/pairing. Would you describe that both highs/lows sound accurate and smooth just lacking a bit of impact?

Power alone won't make the Abyss 'sing' IME. Current and other variables also to consider. And FWIW, synergy plays a big part. The Mjolnir 2 I referenced had plenty of power but sounded terrible.

Would you describe that both highs/lows sound accurate and smooth just lacking a bit of impact?
Accurate and smooth, yes. I don't know about "lacking" impact, I guess it depends on what you mean by impact. There is plenty on bottom and top, but neither seems to really stand out, which I think works well to paint the whole sonic picture. If a track has big bass or airy highs, the FA-10 will deliver.

"I used the FCN-10 as amp only (since I was more interested in the FA-10), bypassing the internal DAC for my own (Aqua La Voce S2). Music was streamed or served via Innous Zen Mk III server using Roon and Tidal. Headphones were Abyss 1266 Phi CC."

Did you happen to quickly sample the FCN-10 DAC just to make sure it would be serviceable in a pinch? If so did you also happen to test the streaming functionality with the built in dac?

Yes, @gancanjam and I listened to the FCN-10 using its built in DAC. I'd say it's more than adequate, definitely worth the $600 extra esp if you consider you get streaming too. Have not tried streaming though.

" If the FA-10 was priced between USD$1k - $1.5k, I wouldn't think it unreasonable. For just $600 more, the FCN-10 gives you a great built in DAC and streaming capabilities. "

So the FA-10 is $750 and if priced $250-$750 higher it would be overpriced. Are there any other Amps in the $1k - $1.5k price point that you have paired the 1266 Phi TCs with that compare favorably to the FA-10? Just wondering the context of this if there are other options in this price range that are possibly a better match and provide by dynamics/impact than the FA-10.

No, I meant if the FA-10 were priced at between $1k - $1.5k I would still consider it reasonably priced for what you get. Other options in this range -- I really haven't tried too many, but from ones I did, the FA-10 is at the top and if $750 - $1000 was my budget, the FA-10 would be hard to beat IMO.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #578 of 2,598
Power alone won't make the Abyss 'sing' IME. Current and other variables also to consider. And FWIW, synergy plays a big part. The Mjolnir 2 I referenced had plenty of power but sounded terrible.

Would you describe that both highs/lows sound accurate and smooth just lacking a bit of impact?
Accurate and smooth, yes. I don't know about "lacking" impact, I guess it depends on what you mean by impact. There is plenty on bottom and top, but neither seems to really stand out, which I think works well to paint the whole sonic picture. If a track has big bass or airy highs, the FA-10 will deliver.

Yes, @gancanjam and I listened to the FCN-10 using its built in DAC. I'd say it's more than adequate, definitely worth the $600 extra esp if you consider you get streaming too. Have not tried streaming though.

No, I meant if the FA-10 were priced at between $1k - $1.5k I would still consider it reasonably priced for what you get. Other options in this range -- I really haven't tried too many, but from ones I did, the FA-10 is at the top and if $750 - $1000 was my budget, the FA-10 would be hard to beat IMO.
Thanks again for all your input, very valuable stuff!

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #579 of 2,598
It does seem a bit optimistic to think that a $750 amp will outperform a Formula S ($3500 without power supply) just because the power specs are higher. I think it goes to show that power specs and loudness aren't the only things that matters when it comes to amps.

I'm pretty satisfied with my FA-10. I totally agree with the reviews that have been posted here. The value of this amp at this price point is pretty high imo and anyone looking to spend 1k on amplification should take a look at this amp.
I'd agree with this in general. Price is typically one indicator of where things fall in any given category.

The value of this amp at this price point is pretty high imo and anyone looking to spend 1k on amplification should take a look at this amp.
Boom. ^This

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #580 of 2,598
FA-10 pro is just released, 749$

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #581 of 2,598
FA-10 pro is just released, 749$

Having heard the regular FA-10, I'd very interested to compare to the Pro. My guess is that those looking for a more linear and neutral amp might find their answer? I think it's great Flux offers options for different tastes, and that they are obviously working hard for us!

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #582 of 2,598
i just want to know what the fa-12 sounds like and everyone buying the fa10 T_T

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #584 of 2,598
Funny how you guys feel about Z I feel about ASR. I watch him for entertainment he is the stradman of the audio world.

if I want detailed reviews I watch currawong, Sandu (sounds news), Josh Valour, Sean (Zero Fidelity), New Record Day, Thomas, Jay(TNBT), headphones.com guys...

darko and gutt are fine but they skim.

Man ..you all guys started reviewing the reviewers in this thread huh ..LOL

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #585 of 2,598
Man ..you all guys started reviewing the reviewers in this thread huh ..LOL
Right, can we get back on track and talking about the amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back