Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #601 of 2,598
buyer pay paypal fee? it is unusual on the market.
As far as I know that is against PayPal terms of service.

from: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments
No surcharges
You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #602 of 2,598
Aug 10, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #603 of 2,598
While it is against paypal ToS, flux isn't the first company that I've seen do this. AFAIK, plenty of individuals also do this when you look through the sale posts on head-fi. Regardless, 749 is not the price to get an amp to your door for anyone.
That is against head-fi rules/guidelines, and Paypal terms of service. But I guess people don't like to follow rules.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #604 of 2,598
While it is against paypal ToS, flux isn't the first company that I've seen do this. AFAIK, plenty of individuals also do this when you look through the sale posts on head-fi. Regardless, 749 is not the price to get an amp to your door for anyone.
I never thought shipping was free. My point is, sellers are selling used units for new price. If they all are including shipping, I get that's a discount. I've just never seen used items sell for the new price before. Seems strange to me. I suppose the market will be the judge of that.

My real question is if the warranty is transferrable or not? The website lists 2 years but doesn't mention anything about transferring.

Also -- yes indeed strange that Flux would pass on PP fee to customer. I've never seen that from a company. Bit of a dig

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #605 of 2,598
My real question is if the warranty is transferrable or not? The website lists 2 years but doesn't mention anything about transferring.
They lack detailed warranty terms. I believe legally they are tying themselves to offer 2 years of unconditional warranty (other than the cable connection order). But they are in Ukraine, so if they reject your warranty I don't think you would have any resources other than public shaming to make them comply.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #606 of 2,598
They lack detailed warranty terms. I believe legally they are tying themselves to offer 2 years of unconditional warranty (other than the cable connection order). But they are in Ukraine, so if they reject your warranty I don't think you would have any resources other than public shaming to make them comply.
If it is transferrable, then the used units going for full price w/free shipping make some sense. If not, I'd rather have the warranty. Also, I'd rather give Flux the money if the price is that close, but that's just me.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #607 of 2,598
If it is transferrable, then the used units going for full price w/free shipping make some sense. If not, I'd rather have the warranty. Also, I'd rather give Flux the money if the price is that close, but that's just me.
As long as they don’t make a profit, it should comply with head-fi rules. Buyers will decide if it’s worth it or not.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #608 of 2,598
If you spend a few seconds on the website, you can see how much it'll cost you to get a new one over to the states...

Yes and also the wait times is another factor for the prices to be high. In some countries, there may be duties also though in USA there was none to me. Regular shipping is $100 which will take several weeks apart from several weeks of build time. DHL is much more expensive but will come more quickly

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #611 of 2,598
While I agree on many of the points given here, I'd just like to give my two cents from a point of view from other hobbies.

If there is a product that is low volume but has high demand, used prices sometimes will be the same as new or even higher than new if there is a limit on quantity. One hobby that this principle is extremely apparent is in the mechanical keyboard hobby. While vendors continue to offer multiple rounds of products, buyers are willing to spend 3-4x more than the retail price in order to get one in the aftermarket due to the low volume and high demand.

One thing that someone brought up and I believe has been mentioned many times is that this company is in Ukraine. I don't know how things operate in Ukraine but even Schiit in the US charges shipping on their products. For reference, their cheapest rate to ship a yggdrasil to me is ~$40. $100 from Ukraine does not seem to be a stretch to me. Either they break out the shipping or they just include it in their price. So if you would like to look at it this way, the FA-10 is a $849 product with free shipping.

Paypal fees are something that can definitely rack up when you're dealing with high priced items. If you run a business, transaction fees are just one of those hidden costs that customers do not see. It is possible that since the company is from Ukraine, they don't understand how people in the US normally see prices but I can assure you that transaction costs are baked into any price that you see. I've seen various small businesses break out fees whenever a customer purchases an item. Whether or not you want to purchase the item because of that is up to you.

While I own a FA-10, I have no relation to flux at all. I just wanted to give a different perspective as a small business owner.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #614 of 2,598
When I ordered my FA-10 back in March, Flux threw in DHL shipping in exchange for waiting. Once it shipped, I had it in 1 week to MD, USA.

In terms of the PayPal fee, it's pretty expensive for businesses to accept PayPal in certain countries (like 4.5+% and that's for a bank funded purchase, even more for a credit card). I sent them 749 USD for my purchase using TransferWise, it only cost $6 vs $38 for PayPal.

Sure, they could raise the price to 799 USD and include the PayPal fees, but at least they are being upfront. It's up to the customer how much they want to pay for PayPal convienince and shipping speed. For some reason, DHL is reasonable out of the UK and stupid expensive out of other countries. $250 is the real cost from Ukraine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back