Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #841 of 2,598
I'm over simplifying but the main source of all of the differences seem to be as result of the 12 being slightly warmer and 10 being cooler. This shapes all other aspects of their presentation, which at their core is very similar, both have excellent imaging, resolving and transparent to the source, virtually linear with the line drawn incrementally above the wamside of the line and they are both two of the most addictive non-tube listens i've had the pleasure of experiencing .

Tonality and Timbre -

FA10 light, clean, and everything sounds natural thanks to a hint of warmth. Everything still has good weight but just less decay and overall body than 12
FA12 Richer, slightly warmer (but never overdone) which gives the whole presentation more body. One key plus of both amps tonality is while they lean towards warm, neither shows any sign of darkness, treble still has just the right amount of sparkle and even though 12 is fuller the mids sound open and immediate.

Not that I have heard any of them, but had a chat yesterday with Fluxlab.
Want an amp with great impact, sweet, tube-like midrange and detailed, but not bright highs. Used to have Burson C3XP, and while I loved the huge scene, great separation and incredible layering and details, it was a tiny bit fatiguing for me, especially when listening a bit louder. My headphones are ZMF-s Eikons. Hope they dont mind if I copy it here:

me: (...) I was thinking about lamp amplifier, but maybe a bit warmer solid stade would be good enough:) Lamps tend to lose some impact with faster genres ..
Flux: So you're looking for some more comfortable sound signature right?
me: yeah, but without losing impact and faster details
F: I think FA-10 would be most preferred for your needs
The sound signature of fa12 is a bit a sparkled with a bit bright mid-range. FA10 is more calm and musical it mids maybe not so detailed as 12 but some unique signature, which is not typical for solid state amplifiers

So from that conversation FA-10 is more laid out? Though it was 12 that is:) Probalby best way is just chat with them on fb.

I have decided to take FA-10, was thinking about FC-10 as well, but is quite a bit more, and would be better to be able to change DAC? Have anyone compared FC-10 with other DAC-s? Is it good, or is it better to buy standalone DAC unit insted ? :)
cheers,
Mirek

It is great we are getting some additional impressions of these amps! However, it appears we have some conflicting info here based on the above posts. Is the FA-10 the warmer amp with a more tube-like presentation or is it the FA-12? I am not saying either of the above impressions is wrong as we all hear things differently, just trying to sort this out so potential buyers can make a better informed decision.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #842 of 2,598
In case anyone is looking for another option to consider here it is:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...wpc-xlr-with-muse72320-volume-control.941047/

Raoul on that thread measure it up to:

Soloist starts to bend its edges (clipping) at around 15W/channel @32Ohms and 1.3W @600 Ohms, so pretty close to the Flux headamps. Burson was always very conservative when publishing the specs for their gear, probably because they don't want to make much fuzz around it.

Key Features:

• 8Wpc XLR, 4Wpc SE Headphone amp / Preamp.
  • Three levels of feedback based gain, matching headphones from 60db to 110db sensitivity.
  • 4 X Burson proprietary Max Current Power Supplies eliminating noise and unveiling micro-details.
  • High current Class-A and fully discrete circuitry, achieving incredible sound.
  • The same MUSE72320 based volume control system used in ultra-high-end preamps such as the Pass Lab XP-30 and the AVM Ovation achieving phenomenal channels balance and soundstage.
  • Headphone power amp mode to remove volume control from the signal path and reach even higher transparency.
  • Opamp rolling to tune Soloist 3X to your preference.
  • Designed to pair perfectly with the Burson Composer 3X DAC https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/composer-3x-performance/

Shipping in late September.
MSRP: 1144USD
Pre-Order Offer: 915USD

11306974.jpg

Here are a few reviews:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #844 of 2,598
Well, if you are pairing with something like the HE-6se or Susvara, it seems to me the FA-10 is definitely the way to go (unless you want to wait for the Volot) despite the FA-10 not being balanced. Even if the FA-12 running balanced does okay with those hard to drive cans, the FA-10 even single ended should do better as 16W vs. 2.6W into 32 ohms is a huge difference, regardless of balanced vs. single ended topology.

PS. I am using the FA-10 to drive my HE-6se, and feel it does a wonderful job! I prefer it to the balanced Liquid Platinum, which is more powerful than the FA-12.
I have the LP as well but mine is modded. At first I liked the LP more, but now the FA-10 is starting to come into its own and is quickly becoming my go to amp. The mods on the LP does make it a close contest when it comes to musical delivery, but the FA-10 is just special in what it does.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #846 of 2,598
I have the LP as well but mine is modded. At first I liked the LP more, but now the FA-10 is starting to come into its own and is quickly becoming my go to amp. The mods on the LP does make it a close contest when it comes to musical delivery, but the FA-10 is just special in what it does.

Well, if the FA-10 seems to be gaining ground over the LP, then I hope it does not wind up making the latter completely unlistenable to you after a few hundred hours of burn-in and head time. :relaxed:

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #847 of 2,598
Not that I have heard any of them, but had a chat yesterday with Fluxlab.
Want an amp with great impact, sweet, tube-like midrange and detailed, but not bright highs. Used to have Burson C3XP, and while I loved the huge scene, great separation and incredible layering and details, it was a tiny bit fatiguing for me, especially when listening a bit louder. My headphones are ZMF-s Eikons. Hope they dont mind if I copy it here:

me: (...) I was thinking about lamp amplifier, but maybe a bit warmer solid stade would be good enough:) Lamps tend to lose some impact with faster genres ..
Flux: So you're looking for some more comfortable sound signature right?
me: yeah, but without losing impact and faster details
F: I think FA-10 would be most preferred for your needs
The sound signature of fa12 is a bit a sparkled with a bit bright mid-range. FA10 is more calm and musical it mids maybe not so detailed as 12 but some unique signature, which is not typical for solid state amplifiers

So from that conversation FA-10 is more laid out? Though it was 12 that is:) Probalby best way is just chat with them on fb.

I have decided to take FA-10, was thinking about FC-10 as well, but is quite a bit more, and would be better to be able to change DAC? Have anyone compared FC-10 with other DAC-s? Is it good, or is it better to buy standalone DAC unit insted ? :)
cheers,
Mirek

"Want an amp with great impact, sweet, tube-like midrange and detailed, but not bright highs", seems Flux support recommended FA-10 for this need of yours, that's a right recommendation from Flux.

You had a question on FCN-10 with inbuilt DAC Vs FA-10, I have FCN-10. In short go with FA-10 and get an external DAC of your preference, FCN-10 inbuilt DAC sounds similar to FA-10 so adds an extra layer of FA-10 characteristics i.e. more smoothness to the sound, treble is more buttery with certain HPs, instruments is not present on the face but gently away, other DAC can dig out more details than in built DAC, a meaty/refined/in offensive still fun presentation is what you get from FCN-10. So if you want more of FA-10, then FCN-10 is still a good choice but all else go with external DAC.

One main reason i use in built DAC in FCN-10 is more forgiving even with Youtube videos and low res songs which i listen to from 1980s/90s and international music, i do not use in built DAC for any other purpose.

My friend listened to FA-10 with the holy grail DAC Chord Dave last week, he seem to like it and says FA-10 scales well to a good extent

It depends on your HPs also, what HP you use ?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #849 of 2,598
Thanks a lot for the answer! It explains me a lot:) have ordered just an amp and will try to find some good but not to expensive DAC for now.
Will always have a chance to upgrade :)
My headphones are ZMF Eikons.
Cheers!

Have never listened to RME or Topping D90 DACs but the community seem to love it for relatively inexpensive but solid option and to pair with FA-10. The $650 you sink into FCN-10 DAC you can sink into either of those DACs. All the best

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #850 of 2,598
Well, if the FA-10 seems to be gaining ground over the LP, then I hope it does not wind up making the latter completely unlistenable to you after a few hundred hours of burn-in and head time. :relaxed:
The LP still beats in painting a 3D holographic image and spaciousness. That’s one of the magic of tubes. The LP also can match the bass impact, slam and midrange presence with the right tubes. So it’s a nice change of pace amp with crazy power as well. Mainly in part because the gain is set so high on the LP with no way to control it without using a DAC with controllable output. So I still enjoy it And it’s not going anywhere.

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #851 of 2,598
Have never listened to RME or Topping D90 DACs but the community seem to love it for relatively inexpensive but solid option and to pair with FA-10. The $650 you sink into FCN-10 DAC you can sink into either of those DACs. All the best
I'm in Miro5lav same quest. I'm deciding between FA10 and FA12 and want a separate DAC. Now I have an Asus Xonar Essence One and I want to upgrade it because I think it does not do justice to my T1 rev3 and my HD 800 and I want to get their "full" potential.

I can order RME ADI2 for 975 € in Thomann, but I do not consider to EQ my HPs... Do you know another similar DAC in the same price range (or cheaper)?

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #852 of 2,598
I'm in Miro5lav same quest. I'm deciding between FA10 and FA12 and want a separate DAC. Now I have an Asus Xonar Essence One and I want to upgrade it because I think it does not do justice to my T1 rev3 and my HD 800 and I want to get their "full" potential.

I can order RME ADI2 for 975 € in Thomann, but I do not consider to EQ my HPs... Do you know another similar DAC in the same price range (or cheaper)?

Thanks.

Topping D90 or Schitt Bifrost 2 have good reviews in that price range but many prefers Topping D90, it is clean, neutral, resolving and you dont want a colored DAC so just leave all the colors a.k.a. sound signature addition to the amplifier. I have listened to Denafrips Ares 2 but did not liked the sound. If you like Chord sound then buy an used one which may be more than $1000 but if you bite that extra few hundreds it may work for you, I liked Hugo 2 for IEMs/portability but not for full size HPs , Other option is to find an used Chord Qutest and have seen it coming up for $1100 to $1500.

My choice will a new RME, used RME do not get much discounts, sellers buy it for $1100 new to use it for 2 years and sell it for $950 and people still buy it as soon at is posted so you are better off getting a new RME or used Qutest. If you dont get either then Topping D90 is a good choice.

But please do research on these DACs or better, try to listen to it before making a decision.

BTW have listened to FA-10 & HD800, it sounds good especially it offsets all treble peaks of HD800

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #853 of 2,598
This is interesting and informative. Thanks. What I need to determine with some precision are the exact specs of the Fa12, especially its output power. I find it interesting that Flux Labs like to hit one upfront with the Fa 10's 16 watts into 32 ohms credentials and yet opts to remain silent on the exact specs of the Fa-12. I am not necessarily saying that there is some conspiracy or something fishy going on... I just want to be sure whether the Fa 12 can muster the same muscle in output wattage as the Fa 10 when handling loads that are more difficult than typical, in situations where each last watt counts, such as the He6SE or the Susvara. So far, I do not see anything I do not like in your description of either amp. However, these extremely hard to drive cans can always bring some sonic differences to the table, if it should turn out that the output power of one amp (e.g. the 10), significantly exceeds that of the other (e.g. the 12). That is why i want to make sure the 12 is not under-spec'ed in this particular area.

That's a good point, power is a differentiator here as many tend to overlook this

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #854 of 2,598
Hello,

I have been chatting with Flux and they were quick to respond to my questions.

One question I have is are these amp direct or cap coupled?

Which may or may not help attribute to the differing sounds?

Thanks
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back