Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #856 of 2,598
What about Flux DAC proposal ? If I’m not wrong I have read on this forum that they are studying a standalone DAC.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #857 of 2,598
Well, given that I just found out I am expected to return to the office full time starting next week, my desktop rig listening will be greatly reduced. If you want to pick up an FA-10 for a good price, send me a message and I might bite. I am leaning towards selling and downgrading to a more budget friendly option since I will primarily be using my portable rig more while working.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #858 of 2,598
Well, given that I just found out I am expected to return to the office full time starting next week, my desktop rig listening will be greatly reduced. If you want to pick up an FA-10 for a good price, send me a message and I might bite. I am leaning towards selling and downgrading to a more budget friendly option since I will primarily be using my portable rig more while working.

Sent you a PM.

Oct 10, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #859 of 2,598
Anyone has tried HD800s with FA-10 ?

I guess that the « tube » sound of the FA-10 would be a great pairing but that is just assumptions.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #860 of 2,598

I guess that the « tube » sound of the FA-10 would be a great pairing but that is just assumptions.
I have a pair of HD800S’s coming with the next couple of weeks. I’ll report back on the pairing. I’m looking forward to hearing them on my FA-10.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #861 of 2,598
Still waiting patiently on an update for the volot along with specs, pricing, and reviews... I've got a few decent opportunities to buy near hifi level balanced amps for my Phi TCs and just was holding out for the Volot. I may not be able to wait much longer though...

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #862 of 2,598
Waiting as well. Depends on the size factor though. Atlas was too big for me. Hoping Volot will not. But the preliminary designs says otherwise. Will see.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #863 of 2,598
Waiting as well. Depends on the size factor though. Atlas was too big for me. Hoping Volot will not. But the preliminary designs says otherwise. Will see.

I want it to be big and beefy with huge quality components and a large set of heat sinks. the bigger the better for this class a beauty.

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #864 of 2,598
It is great we are getting some additional impressions of these amps! However, it appears we have some conflicting info here based on the above posts. Is the FA-10 the warmer amp with a more tube-like presentation or is it the FA-12? I am not saying either of the above impressions is wrong as we all hear things differently, just trying to sort this out so potential buyers can make a better informed decision.

I wouldn’t say either amp is particularly tubelike. Fa12 is a few degrees warmer than fa10, which it’s self is just on the warm side of neutral. I’m not sure how useful “tubelike” is as descriptor, much like “reference” and “musical” it means different things to different people, both positive and negative. My experiences of tube amps such feliks audio euforia and Auris’s Amps are which probably wouldn’t be described as “tubelike” by many, as they are fairly neutral, precise and very resolving with a lot of similarities to good Ss amps on that front. The main difference for me however is Headroom, stage width, depth, Texture and a greater sense of space around the instruments which creates a genuinely holographic 3D image. Then theres old school tube amps which can sound syrupy sweet with bloated leaky bass.

Neither of these 2 amps to my ears at least share these traits good or bad.

having been lucky enough to listen to both at length. The main differences as I initially mentioned are down the varriance in warmth which seems to dictate the key characteristics of the each amp. The 12 being warmer has a fuller sound, slower but perhaps more natural decay on the bass, more lushness in the mids and slightly sweeter treble. These traits are slight and not at the cost of transparency, definition, accuracy or dynamics. The 10 on the other hand while still warmer than neutral, is thinner/ cleaner feels perhaps a little quicker with more air Around the notes, bass decay is quicker mids sound accurate tonally, but again these are important factors but not at the cost the dreaded “musicality”. Neither amp is an analytical tool like the a90, both are musical instruments in their own right, which is what makes them some beguiling and addictive to listen to. They just offer slightly different filters, applied consistently to everything you listen to with them.

obviously we all have different references, music tastes and ways of describing what we hear, but hopefully by reading the whole thread you will find some pretty consistent themes and findings. The different subtleties of each listener reported experiences are kind of what make this hobby so enjoyable, perhaps that’s just me :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #866 of 2,598

I used to have HD800 which i sold it, what i didn't liked about HD800 are it's rough treble, little leaner sound, for many the bass in HD800 would have been satisfactory but not for me.

Last month i borrowed HD800 for 2 weeks and listened with FCN-10/FA-10, good pairing ! sound stage was still wide, treble was still plenty but much more enjoyable, bit more musical and though it didn't boost the Bass much, it was tad more present with FA-10. Overall, HD800 pairing was good and i was doing longer listening with this setup.

I have never listened to HD800S though but what i recalled on my earlier discussions with it's owners were, HD800S has similar DNA as HD800 but with more warmer & musical tone, if that's the case then i am guessing HD800S & FA-10 will also be a good pairing.

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #867 of 2,598
Fuse update: The Hifi Tuning Supreme 2A Fast is working just fine in the FA-10. While the sonic improvement is not as drastic as the SR Orange, it’s less than a 1/3 of the price and actually reliable! In my Sboosters, I’d say the performance is comparable to the SR Blue fuses - based on memory.

In case members in the US are interested to know: Hifi Tuning fuses are a bit cheaper when purchasing from UK/EU even with shipping. MusicDirect has the FA-10 size fuse on sale for $60 if you prefer a domestic source, otherwise, they list at $75 elsewhere. I paid $145 including shipping for 3 from Analog Seduction in the UK. They took less than a week to arrive.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #868 of 2,598
Fuse update: The Hifi Tuning Supreme 2A Fast is working just fine in the FA-10. While the sonic improvement is not as drastic as the SR Orange, it’s less than a 1/3 of the price and actually reliable! In my Sboosters, I’d say the performance is comparable to the SR Blue fuses - based on memory.

In case members in the US are interested to know: Hifi Tuning fuses are a bit cheaper when purchasing from UK/EU even with shipping. MusicDirect has the FA-10 size fuse on sale for $60 if you prefer a domestic source, otherwise, they list at $75 elsewhere. I paid $145 including shipping for 3 from Analog Seduction in the UK. They took less than a week to arrive.
Does a fuse have that great of impact on the sound of the FA-10?

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #869 of 2,598
Does a fuse have that great of impact on the sound of the FA-10?
I feel that it’s lowering the noise floor and providing a more coherent and 3D image. I haven’t switched back to stock yet to compare as I’m just reaching 100 or so hours of burn in on the new fuse. But I will do the A/B soon.

What I can definitely tell you though is in between my days of not having an upgraded fuse, my wife commented that I didn’t seem interested in listening to my head-fi setup anymore, lol. The difference between the SR orange fuse and stock was huge...

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #870 of 2,598
I feel that it’s lowering the noise floor and providing a more coherent and 3D image. I haven’t switched back to stock yet to compare as I’m just reaching 100 or so hours of burn in on the new fuse. But I will do the A/B soon.

What I can definitely tell you though is in between my days of not having an upgraded fuse, my wife commented that I didn’t seem interested in listening to my head-fi setup anymore, lol. The difference between the SR orange fuse and stock was huge...
That’s a pretty big statement as it seems the fuse is adding some improvements to the sound. I might have to try one to see if I hear any changes, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back