Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Aug 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #647 of 2,598
Why VC over Stellia ?

just to chime in on this. i had the stellias for about a year then bought the VC's blind based on a friends recommendation, with a view of keeping the pair i preferred. Initially the VC's blew me away, they are a real show stopper, super wide "must be open backs" stage, visceral bass, rich tonal balance without any loss of high end extension. I didnt even pick the Stellias up again for about a month.

Only when i decided the Stellia's were the one to be sold, i thought i should have quick listen and wow distance really had made the heart grow fonder. I had been slightly less enamoured by the VCs, but could put my finger on, but listening again to the Focals, it's the slightly recessed mids which create a lack of immediacy in the VCs which the Stellias have. The VCs to my ears are slightly W-shaped where as the Stellias apart from a slight bass hump are much more even. They're less romantic but more of sophisticated hifi presentation, edging it on resolution, dynamics and imaging and i just found them more nourishing over the long term.

I know i'm in the minority here and neither HP is better of worse, just as you'd expect at this level it comes more down to matching your preferences. Sadly i had to sell the stellias too in the end, with my TT2 and euforia so i havent got to hear them them with the FA12... yet!

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #648 of 2,598
just to chime in on this. i had the stellias for about a year then bought the VC's blind based on a friends recommendation, with a view of keeping the pair i preferred. Initially the VC's blew me away, they are a real show stopper, super wide "must be open backs" stage, visceral bass, rich tonal balance without any loss of high end extension. I didnt even pick the Stellias up again for about a month.

Only when i decided the Stellia's were the one to be sold, i thought i should have quick listen and wow distance really had made the heart grow fonder. I had been slightly less enamoured by the VCs, but could put my finger on, but listening again to the Focals, it's the slightly recessed mids which create a lack of immediacy in the VCs which the Stellias have. The VCs to my ears are slightly W-shaped where as the Stellias apart from a slight bass hump are much more even. They're less romantic but more of sophisticated hifi presentation, edging it on resolution, dynamics and imaging and i just found them more nourishing over the long term.

I know i'm in the minority here and neither HP is better of worse, just as you'd expect at this level it comes more down to matching your preferences. Sadly i had to sell the stellias too in the end, with my TT2 and euforia so i havent got to hear them them with the FA12... yet!
They are both great, but vastly different style and more complementary than substitute imo. I would have a hard time deciding.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #649 of 2,598
They are both great, but vastly different style and more complementary than substitute imo. I would have a hard time deciding.

absolutely agree, id have kept both if i could.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #650 of 2,598
Currently running SMSL M200/SP200 stack with Sennheiser HD 700 (with a bit of EQ) and I love the open wide sound stage and details, but I am looking for something a little more fun.

So while I'm waiting on my new Audeze LCD-2 Classic to arrive I'm considering picking up one of the FA amps. Anyone have FA10 or FA12 with LCD-2s and/or HD700 that can chime in on how it sounds?

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #651 of 2,598
Hi all, new here and a bit of lurker. I appreciate all the great info this site provides.

I ordered an FA-12 back in June and got it on August 3. I have really enjoyed it since and believe it clearly outperforms both my EL AMP II and my Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear. At least terms of how much more energetic and musical the sound is to my untrained ears. I just enjoy listening more and have done some A/B to verify (as best I can - the true test would be blind) that I am not imagining it.

Anyway, today the left channel (SE) started giving a kazoo like buzz. I have changed cables, dacs, headhones etc; it's the amp. Ugh.

I have emailed them and we will see what happens next. But sharing my experience for anyone interested.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #652 of 2,598
Hi all, new here and a bit of lurker. I appreciate all the great info this site provides.

I ordered an FA-12 back in June and got it on August 3. I have really enjoyed it since and believe it clearly outperforms both my EL AMP II and my Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear. At least terms of how much more energetic and musical the sound is to my untrained ears. I just enjoy listening more and have done some A/B to verify (as best I can - the true test would be blind) that I am not imagining it.

Anyway, today the left channel (SE) started giving a kazoo like buzz. I have changed cables, dacs, headhones etc; it's the amp. Ugh.

I have emailed them and we will see what happens next. But sharing my experience for anyone interested.
Not good at all. This is also the kind of things I'm waiting for. Hope you get it sorted out.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #653 of 2,598

Sorry to hear about this. If you haven’t heard back yet, try messaging via Facebook I have found they come back much quicker this way. I hope there’s a simple resolution, but keep us posted :)

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #655 of 2,598

They are responsive support team for sure. Reach out through FB or add their Ukraine number in Whassap tp chat with them. I see the Amp was built very well and they do hand testing for several weeks before releasing so bit surprised to see an issue in the equipment.. hey it's electronics right ?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #656 of 2,598
I'm a bit late to the party, but how good is the new'ish album by Clap! Clap!, electronica and techno meets world music, sounds pretentious but it isnt and the Fa12's keeping pace perfectly :):):)

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #657 of 2,598
I'm a bit late to the party, but how good is the new'ish album by Clap! Clap!, electronica and techno meets world music, sounds pretentious but it isnt and the Fa12's keeping pace perfectly :):):)

Checking it out now. First track, that is some meaty bass!

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #658 of 2,598
Checking it out now. First track, that is some meaty bass!

track 2 is the best way in. The FA12 learly demonstrates here a warm'ish amp doesnt have to have an unextended/ dark top end, it copes with the intricacies and change of direction without missing a beat... that said i've moved on to stalwart Technique/ NewOrder .. always a sign i've had one more glass of red than intended :wink:

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #659 of 2,598
Stumbled across FLUX only recently... I'm intrigued by the positive response of the amps so far. I'm also listening to Electronic in one form or another for most of my listening and judging by the comparison between the FA-10 and FA-10 Pro, the Pro seems as though it might be more suited to my needs with the Verite C being a somewhat darker headphone. After reading @saadi703's comparison, I'm thinking the A90 might be a better choice if you're not after the extra warmth... has anyone else compared it with any of the FLUX FA-XYZ offerings?

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #660 of 2,598
Stumbled across FLUX only recently... I'm intrigued by the positive response of the amps so far. I'm also listening to Electronic in one form or another for most of my listening and judging by the comparison between the FA-10 and FA-10 Pro, the Pro seems as though it might be more suited to my needs with the Verite C being a somewhat darker headphone. After reading @saadi703's comparison, I'm thinking the A90 might be a better choice if you're not after the extra warmth... has anyone else compared it with any of the FLUX FA-XYZ offerings?

I have the FA-10 and I'm using it with my Verite Opens. I've also used it with HE-6SE, Utopias and Aeolus. All of those headphones paired well with the FA-10. The only headphone that didn't do as well was my DT990 600ohm but I think most high impedance Beyers lean heavily towards tubes when compared to SS.

I wouldn't call the FA-10 overly warm but it's definitely not as neutral and dry as the A90 based on what people have said about the A90. Power-wise, I think they're both very comparable. I don't think you can really go wrong with either but I've been enjoying my FA-10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back