Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Jul 1, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #316 of 2,598
Have any FA-10 owners yet heard this with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC yet? I'm itching to pull the trigger on this but want to get feedback first... My current amps aren't driving the 1266's properly and am hoping this unit with 16 watts will handle the bass better. I'm also concerned what trade-off on noise/resolution there might be with the FA-10. I don't want t a bright/analytical sound like the THX/A90 amps but also don't want a ton of distortion to go with the 16 watts/class A.

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #317 of 2,598
Have any FA-10 owners yet heard this with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC yet? I'm itching to pull the trigger on this but want to get feedback first... My current amps aren't driving the 1266's properly and am hoping this unit with 16 watts will handle the bass better. I'm also concerned what trade-off on noise/resolution there might be with the FA-10. I don't want t a bright/analytical sound like the THX/A90 amps but also don't want a ton of distortion to go with the 16 watts/class A.

Take a look at Headfonia, I don’t think you will be worried with any noise with FA-10.

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #318 of 2,598
Take a look at Headfonia, I don’t think you will be worried with any noise with FA-10.
Not to be dense... Is this a "trusted source" and not a shill source? I'm not familiar with them just wondering if typically their takes are an accurate representation.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #319 of 2,598
Not to be dense... Is this a "trusted source" and not a shill source? I'm not familiar with them just wondering if typically their takes are an accurate representation.

I generally trust Headfonia reviewers like Linus and Lieven, same for George at Audiophile Heaven or Marcus at Headfonics.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #320 of 2,598

Two days back, I auditioned Abyss 1266, Focals, Mezze, HiFimans with 3 setups Simaudio moon neo 430, Chord Qutest & Woo audio WA22 and ifi DSD & ifi iCan . Yeah Abyss 1266 need lot of power amongst the lot, only Neo 430 could drive it effortlessly, ifi iCan did a decent job but WA22 struggled. I liked the way it sounded with Neo 430. My feedback in general is Moon audio Neo 430 being a SS & neutral amp had better details/resolution/dynamics while WA22 being a Tube amp was better refined/musical/easier to listen. I am hoping FA10 or FCN 10 or FA12 will sound in between these two to inherit the best properties of SS amps still musical & non fatiguing. I have not received my FCN-10, will listen it to confirm this theory. BTW Abyss 1266 Phi TC was the best HP I had listened to in person, I liked Utopia as well for the dynamics and details but it ran too hot with Moon Neo 430, while it was tamed with WA22 it lost some magic the SS amps had to offer

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #321 of 2,598
Two days back, I auditioned Abyss 1266, Focals, Mezze, HiFimans with 3 setups Simaudio moon neo 430, Chord Qutest & Woo audio WA22 and ifi DSD & ifi iCan . Yeah Abyss 1266 need lot of power amongst the lot, only Neo 430 could drive it effortlessly, ifi iCan did a decent job but WA22 struggled. I liked the way it sounded with Neo 430. My feedback in general is Moon audio Neo 430 being a SS & neutral amp had better details/resolution/dynamics while WA22 being a Tube amp was better refined/musical/easier to listen. I am hoping FA10 or FCN 10 or FA12 will sound in between these two to inherit the best properties of SS amps still musical & non fatiguing. I have not received my FCN-10, will listen it to confirm this theory. BTW Abyss 1266 Phi TC was the best HP I had listened to in person, I liked Utopia as well for the dynamics and details but it ran too hot with Moon Neo 430, while it was tamed with WA22 it lost some magic the SS amps had to offer

thx.. yeah it's my hope that FA-10 can handle the Abyss low-end.. I also need to buy a new DAC so if I can keep the amp to ~ $750 I can spend a bit more on a DAC. Thinking of a MHDT Orchid or Holo Audio Spring 2 Lvl 2 /KTE with the FA-10. If the FA-10 doesn't work I'll go Bifrost 2 and likely the xi audio formula s but that wouldn't be my preferred route.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #322 of 2,598
Two days back, I auditioned Abyss 1266, Focals, Mezze, HiFimans with 3 setups Simaudio moon neo 430, Chord Qutest & Woo audio WA22 and ifi DSD & ifi iCan . Yeah Abyss 1266 need lot of power amongst the lot, only Neo 430 could drive it effortlessly, ifi iCan did a decent job

Yup, Abyss isn't exactly easy to drive, nope :) Not as tough as Susvara, but close :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #323 of 2,598
Yup, Abyss isn't exactly easy to drive, nope :) Not as tough as Susvara, but close :)

We talked about 1266 & Susvara, fine … now lets not talk about HE6 .. it may need a mini nuclear reactor to power it :) but i guess drivability is just one aspect but it will boil down to Sound signature preference and pairing to choose the right DAC/Amp. BTW, are you an official from iFi ? if yes then I like the iFi iCan versatility to cater to different needs with Bass/3D/Amp type options.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #324 of 2,598
We talked about 1266 & Susvara, fine … now lets not talk about HE6 .. it may need a mini nuclear reactor to power it :) but i guess drivability is just one aspect but it will boil down to Sound signature preference and pairing to choose the right DAC/Amp
If 16w can't power the HE-6, there is something wrong with the amp

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #326 of 2,598
Am in SF Bay area, Pleasanton to be precise. we can even meet once I get FCN-10, if time permits then we can even try your bad boy Abyss 1266 with FCN-10
No kidding, cool! Totally, I'm down. PM me :) :thumbsup:

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #328 of 2,598
Maybe adapt a speaker amp to them?

Or just plug one straight in, I'm sure they can take that too 🤣

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 2, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #329 of 2,598

FA-10 can provide 10.5w at 50ohm (measured by Flux)

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #330 of 2,598
How dark is the background on the FA-12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back