Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
May 26, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #2,296 of 2,598
All the flux amps seem to look the same (except the really expensive ones). At least outwardly except the face can be ordered with different colour options. What makes them different from each other aside from one of them being "truly balanced" according to their website?
Fa-12 and volot are the only balanced amps. Fa-10 has a crap ton of power. Fa-22 is a re-tuned fa-10. Fa-12s is singled ended and has half the power of the fa-12.

May 27, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #2,297 of 2,598
Fa-12 and volot are the only balanced amps. Fa-10 has a crap ton of power. Fa-22 is a re-tuned fa-10. Fa-12s is singled ended and has half the power of the fa-12.

So would any of the Flux amps be a good match for headphones like the ZMFs or Sennheiser 6 series?

May 27, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,299 of 2,598
All the flux amps seem to look the same (except the really expensive ones). At least outwardly except the face can be ordered with different colour options. What makes them different from each other aside from one of them being "truly balanced" according to their website?
I think nothing. I guess difference would be the sound signature. Others may have a better answer for that.

May 27, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,301 of 2,598
From everything I’ve read you should go high end tubes for those. Efficient planar is my choice so I bought the fa-12.

That's why I'm looking into a BHC with speedball (though I have no idea what "speedball" is).

May 27, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #2,302 of 2,598
Did you go to the website and check out the different typology of these amps. Mosfet, Bi-polar, J-fet you can do some research. I recommend the FA-22 with your headphones for the mosfet beauty.

Well I looked at the various amps on their website. But I would have to look more into what each type of amp is.

May 27, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #2,304 of 2,598
What type of sound are you looking for? More detail? Layering of instruments? Sound stage? Micro-details? More emotion? I think that should dictate what kind of amp you buy.

Well I'm not really good at describing all those things. But I can't know what an amp sounds like unless I hear it or get an idea through reviews.

May 27, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #2,305 of 2,598
Well I'm not really good at describing all those things. But I can't know what an amp sounds like unless I hear it or get an idea through reviews.
Than imo find a local shop where you can audition what high end solid state/tube sounds like so atleast you have an idea of what you’ll be spending all this money on for.

What I think sounds good might be really different from what you think sounds good.

May 28, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,306 of 2,598
If this helps, my fa-12 was a warm mid forward presentation. I find that this paired with an ares 2 dac can make the vocals too forward on a 6xx and somewhat sibilant. On my Ananda which some say can come off as a bit thin on the mids it’s a perfect pairing. It also works great on my lcd2f.

My understanding is that the fa-22 was supposed to have the power of a fa-10 with more similar tuning to the fa-12 so I’m not sure it would work well with your 6xx and already warm Bifrost 2.

Imo as you get to more expensive gear synergy and taste become much more important than anything else. For example, I’d take my Ananda over a hd800s, focal clear or even he-1k.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,307 of 2,598
Well for now I think I'm going to sell my FA-10 and put that money towards a BottleHead Crack. Although you saying the Bifrost 2 is a "warm" DAC has me wondering if it would be a bad pairing with the BHC.

May 29, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #2,308 of 2,598
Well for now I think I'm going to sell my FA-10 and put that money towards a BottleHead Crack. Although you saying the Bifrost 2 is a "warm" DAC has me wondering if it would be a bad pairing with the BHC.
Take this with a cup of salt again as I haven’t heard a BHC, but I do intend to buy one.

The 6xx is lacking in bass extension so a lot people make up for that with more “slam” in the mid bass that the 6xx can provide. The Bifrost 2 is a good pairing with that since almost everything Schiit makes has a bass focus.

I’ve read that the bhc is a good pairing for the Bifrost 2 and HD600, but the 6xx is a bit bloated in the bass in that combo. I haven’t heard this gear together myself. This is news is from ears I do trust though. If you KISS mod your 6xx it should sound a lot like a 600 and hopefully being you to that audio bliss you’re looking for.

With all that said, I would be looking for an amp that can complement your much more expensive ZMF headphone and not your 6xx. You already have a Valhalla 2 which a more neutral but competent tube amp. Time to swing for the fences to see what your Aeolus can really do.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,309 of 2,598
Take this with a cup of salt again as I haven’t heard a BHC, but I do intend to buy one.

The 6xx is lacking in bass extension so a lot people make up for that with more “slam” in the mid bass that the 6xx can provide. The Bifrost 2 is a good pairing with that since almost everything Schiit makes has a bass focus.

I’ve read that the bhc is a good pairing for the Bifrost 2 and HD600, but the 6xx is a bit bloated in the bass in that combo. I haven’t heard this gear together myself. This is news is from ears I do trust though. If you KISS mod your 6xx it should sound a lot like a 600 and hopefully being you to that audio bliss you’re looking for.

With all that said, I would be looking for an amp that can complement your much more expensive ZMF headphone and not your 6xx. You already have a Valhalla 2 which a more neutral but competent tube amp. Time to swing for the fences to see what your Aeolus can really do.

Well my HD6XX have the Dekoni sheepskin perforated pads so the bass is plenty for me. Doesn't seem to affect the mids or highs in my experience. I am looking to get an HD600 though. But I don't know if the current revision is a good as the classic "marble finish" version. Well hopefully the Aeolus would pair well with the BHC I'm looking to get. But what other options would you suggest? Feliks Audio Echo I've heard is a good pairing.

May 29, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #2,310 of 2,598
Well my HD6XX have the Dekoni sheepskin perforated pads so the bass is plenty for me. Doesn't seem to affect the mids or highs in my experience. I am looking to get an HD600 though. But I don't know if the current revision is a good as the classic "marble finish" version. Well hopefully the Aeolus would pair well with the BHC I'm looking to get. But what other options would you suggest? Feliks Audio Echo I've heard is a good pairing.
You should probably hang out in a ZMF thread for advise on the amp pairing. I know sbaf is pretty in love with ZMF so they could help you there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back