Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
May 24, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,266 of 2,605
So I just got the Flux FA-10. I'm comparing it with my Jot 2. Both connected to my Bifrost 2. So far there is no really noticeable difference between the two amps. The vocals are perhaps a bit more forward on the Jot 2 and maybe a bit more bass as well. The FA-10 perhaps gives a bit more separation between instruments while vocals are a touch more recessed. Details are the same for both amps. Despite the FA-10 boasting 16 watts per channel I have to put the volume between 12 and 1 o'clock compared with the Jot 2 which is between 10 and 11 o'clock. I also didn't anticipate the FA-10 being so much bigger in size compared with the Schiit gear.

Attachments

• IMG_4155.JPG
    IMG_4155.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #2,267 of 2,605
So I just got the Flux FA-10. I'm comparing it with my Jot 2. Both connected to my Bifrost 2. So far there is no really noticeable difference between the two amps. The vocals are perhaps a bit more forward on the Jot 2 and maybe a bit more bass as well. The FA-10 perhaps gives a bit more separation between instruments while vocals are a touch more recessed. Details are the same for both amps. Despite the FA-10 boasting 16 watts per channel I have to put the volume between 12 and 1 o'clock compared with the Jot 2 which is between 10 and 11 o'clock. I also didn't anticipate the FA-10 being so much bigger in size compared with the Schiit gear.
Are your headphones the ones you have listed ? If so I probably wouldn’t have picked up the flux FA-10 just my opinion.

May 24, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #2,268 of 2,605
Are your headphones the ones you have listed ? If so I probably wouldn’t have picked up the flux FA-10 just my opinion.

My headphones are the HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus. Why would you have not chosen this amp for these headphones?

May 24, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2,269 of 2,605
My headphones are the HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus. Why would you have not chosen this amp for these headphones?
I believe that amp was tailored to planar or highly inefficient hps and you have a dynamic and what I believe is a bio cellulose driver which I don’t think you are getting the most out of that amp with said hps.

May 24, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #2,270 of 2,605
I believe that amp was tailored to planar or highly inefficient hps and you have a dynamic and what I believe is a bio cellulose driver which I don’t think you are getting the most out of that amp with said hps.

So I should buy planar or highly inefficient headphones? I think the only planar I've had was the Audeze LCD-2C.

May 24, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #2,271 of 2,605
I’m not trying to tell you to buy anything I’m just saying might not be a real synergy purchase for what you currently own and I’m sure enjoy. If you’re venturing into planar and something like the he6 or susvaras I think it’ll add value to your flux FA-10 amp.

May 24, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #2,272 of 2,605
If you want a good Solid State option for those, I’d think the FA-10, with its spaciousness and detailed upper frequencies, would bring some life to both of those headphones. That being said, its sound is fairly neutral, so a higher end OTL or other tube amp might let you enjoy the 6XX and Aeolus more than a higher end solid state would.

I also agree with wazzupi, this amp really is built for harder to drive planars, or anything with a low-ish impedance but also low sensitivity.

May 24, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,273 of 2,605
I have HE6SE, which is extremely hard to drive, and that is the major reason why I bought FA-10 since at the power level FA-10 is relatively cheaper. For 6xx, you do have a lot more choices to make.

May 24, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,274 of 2,605
I’m not trying to tell you to buy anything I’m just saying might not be a real synergy purchase for what you currently own and I’m sure enjoy. If you’re venturing into planar and something like the he6 or susvaras I think it’ll add value to your flux FA-10 amp.

What about the Hifiman Ananda? I got the FA-10 cause it seems to have overall positive reviews. I've also been looking at amps like the SingXer SA-1 or Rebel Amp or Bottlehead Crack.

May 24, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #2,275 of 2,605
What about the Hifiman Ananda? I got the FA-10 cause it seems to have overall positive reviews. I've also been looking at amps like the SingXer SA-1 or Rebel Amp or Bottlehead Crack.
BHC is a definite win with your headphones! I enjoy mine with my Aeolus and 6XX regularly 👍🏻

May 24, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #2,280 of 2,605
• When you read those reviews, did you gather for what headphone(s) the FA-10 might be a best match? Was there anything in those reviews to indicate a great FA-10/HD-6XX or FA-10/Aeolus match? I sense mixed motivations in your acquiring the FA-10.
• Do you really like your Aeolus and 6XX? Do you plan to keep them? Yes? Let’s work ‘upstream’. @wazzupi, just above, understands one of headphone audio’s basic ‘laws’. So for your Aeolus and 6XX, it is high output impedance OTL tube h/p/a time. In this arena, there are a number of reasonably (non exorbitantly) priced candidates: Bottlehead Crack + Speedball, Eufonika (a few models), Feliks Echo, Feliks Elise, Woo WA2, Woo WA3 just to start. [Note: Valhalla 2 does not qualify here since it is a low output impedance OTL tube h/p/a.] This is where you should be looking if you want to maximise the musicality of what you hear from your system.
Matching a amplifier to a headphone is far more likely to bring musical satisfaction than matching a headphone to an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back