Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #2,116 of 2,598
Come on guys I don't want to continue the discussion any further since it is a single unit related issue.
This is a review sample loaned to me that before that was in another reviewers hands so anything could have happened.
Production units don't smell but yes they get hot like all other high power output class A amplifiers.

This guy is a troll (NickT23) he's trolling on the Volot thread as well for the same reasons.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,120 of 2,598
On a whim, I connected the Schiit Audio Valhalla II (Foton 6N6P / RFT ECC81) as a preamplifier to the Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22 via custom silver interconnects by Arctic Cables. The respective strengths of vacuum tube & solid state with no perceivable weaknesses so far. Another tasty sonic ‘flavour’…
2F5D82A3-ABE3-4320-9DD1-8B74B1537AD5.jpeg

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,121 of 2,598
On a whim, I connected the Schiit Audio Valhalla II (Foton 6N6P / RFT ECC81) as a preamplifier to the Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22 via custom silver interconnects by Arctic Cables. The respective strengths of vacuum tube & solid state with no perceivable weaknesses so far. Another tasty sonic ‘flavour’…2F5D82A3-ABE3-4320-9DD1-8B74B1537AD5.jpeg
HI what a setup ! Got dedicated CD even...

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #2,122 of 2,598
You might be smelling solder flux (Not to be confused with Flux), and possibly oxidized metal removed by the flux, burning off as the amp heats up. I get this smell on several of my hot running amps, for instance, my Wells Audio Milo and Audio-gd NFB-1AMP will have a faint flux smell once they've been on for a while. It's more likely to occur on equipment where some of the soldering is done by hand on parts that get very hot.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,123 of 2,598
You might be smelling solder flux (Not to be confused with Flux), and possibly oxidized metal removed by the flux, burning off as the amp heats up. I get this smell on several of my hot running amps, for instance, my Wells Audio Milo and Audio-gd NFB-1AMP will have a faint flux smell once they've been on for a while. It's more likely to occur on equipment where some of the soldering is done by hand on parts that get very hot.
How does your Milo stack up compared to the FA-10?

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #2,124 of 2,598
My real issue with the FCN-10 is the smell rather than the heat.
Heat is OK but after an hour, I can't stand the smell...
I usually leave mine running for 6+ hours (listening on and off, sometimes even forgetting to turn it off overnight) and I never detect any smell coming out if it.

Maybe have it run for a few hours and then unplug the power and open the cover and have a look try to pinpoint where the smell is coming from, maybe some solder flux is somewhere where it shouldn't be? I don't know but I never had an issue with a smell coming from it or overheating or anything like that, however it does get hot on the vented side where the heatsinks are which is normal for Class-A... even my Denon AVR receiver gets like 2 to 3 times as hot

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,125 of 2,598
I usually leave mine running for 6+ hours (listening on and off, sometimes even forgetting to turn it off overnight) and I never detect any smell coming out if it.
I think that it must be clear by now and my previous replies that there is something wrong with the review sample.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #2,128 of 2,598
Coming back to the topic about my FCN-10 smelling and overheating.

We found out that the device is faulty, now we are working on solving this issue.

So, normal production FCN-10 and FA-10 don't get overheated and certainly don't smell.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #2,129 of 2,598
Coming back to the topic about my FCN-10 smelling and overheating.

We found out that the device is faulty, now we are working on solving this issue.

So, normal production FCN-10 and FA-10 don't get overheated and certainly don't smell.
Is it possible that another, fresh review is needed? If only to determine whether FCN-10 sonics were affected by the faulty/damaged devices. 🤷🏻

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #2,130 of 2,598
Is it possible that another, fresh review is needed? If only to determine whether FCN-10 sonics were affected by the faulty/damaged devices. 🤷🏻
No, the affected components are not in the signal path but only for protection.

Anyway how higher could I rate the FCN-10 from my already highest review? :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back