Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #2,101 of 2,598
I have been revisiting the FCN-10 with the Sennheiser/Drop HD8XX.
Honestly, can't be so good, I could happily keep this as my only end game DAC/amp.
It is amazing what they have done with just two humble AKM4493.
I have installed the latest version of MoOde and I am feeding it with Silent-angel Bonn N8.
Magic.
Only downside is the heat, the room gets hot and smelly!
I totally feel the same about the FCN-10, even though I downsized my headphone collection to just the only one I liked the most, the LCD-4z. The FCN-10 is like an Apple iMac system, everything in one elegant well thought out package. I could have went with the FA-12 since the LCD-4z doesn't need much juice but the idea of cables, separate DAC's and space just put me off and I went with the FCN-10 instead.

Every few days when I'm in the mood to listen to music I turn this thing on and I'm simply amazed at the level of sound coming out of this box. I've toyed with many multi thousand AMP's and DAC's and this seems to put out top tier quality sound with just two AKM4493's. I really wish I didn't sell so many of my HP's before trying with this amp however I have no regrets the LCD-4z was the only pair I liked. The only thing is after a couple hours this amp really heats up but good thing its winter here now.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #2,102 of 2,598
I totally feel the same about the FCN-10, even though I downsized my headphone collection to just the only one I liked the most, the LCD-4z. The FCN-10 is like an Apple iMac system, everything in one elegant well thought out package. I could have went with the FA-12 since the LCD-4z doesn't need much juice but the idea of cables, separate DAC's and space just put me off and I went with the FCN-10 instead.

Every few days when I'm in the mood to listen to music I turn this thing on and I'm simply amazed at the level of sound coming out of this box. I've toyed with many multi thousand AMP's and DAC's and this seems to put out top tier quality sound with just two AKM4493's. I really wish I didn't sell so many of my HP's before trying with this amp however I have no regrets the LCD-4z was the only pair I liked. The only thing is after a couple hours this amp really heats up but good thing its winter here now.
The LCD-4z’s are an excellent choice. They are an excellent all around headphone.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #2,104 of 2,598
My real issue with the FCN-10 is the smell rather than the heat.
Heat is OK but after an hour, I can't stand the smell...
Do you think that the odour will disappear after ‘x’ hundred hours use (pink noise, CD replay…)?

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,105 of 2,598
Do you think that the odour will disappear after ‘x’ hundred hours use (pink noise, CD replay…)?
No I don't think so, mine unit is with hundred hours of use but still smells.
It gets so hot that it is impossible to stop radiating odour from the internal semi conductors.

BTW , I think that it would be great if Vitaliy could offer the FA-12/22 with the option to order with an internal DAC/streamer.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #2,106 of 2,598
It gets so hot that it is impossible to stop radiating odour from the internal semi conductors.

BTW , I think that it would be great if Vitaliy could offer the FA-12/22 with the option to order with an internal DAC/streamer.
It might just be possible if you ask.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #2,108 of 2,598
I don't think it's gonna be an option to order with a DAC, there's a reason there's a separate device that is integrated with a DAC/Streamer.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #2,109 of 2,598

Is the smelly thing related to the "10" models or just the FCN-10? I have heard about how hot the FA-10 gets, but not mention of a smell on those so much. Do the lesser watt 12/22 models get hot as well? It seems like folks don't mention the heat so much with those models, but for the FA-10 and FCN-10 sounds like it is more extreme.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,110 of 2,598
First of all I would like to inform everyone reading this thread that after a communication with Vitaliy, he specifically mentioned that although it is perfectly normal for the FCN-10, FA-10 to get quite hot to the touch , it is not normal to smell like mine.
The issue must be related to some semiconductor of my specific unit which for some reason is emitting odour.
Regular production units don't smell.

Now , regarding the FA-12 / 22 they barely get warm, nothing to talk about.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,111 of 2,598
First of all I would like to inform everyone reading this thread that after a communication with Vitaliy, he specifically mentioned that although it is perfectly normal for the FCN-10, FA-10 to get quite hot to the touch , it is not normal to smell like mine.
The issue must be related to some semiconductor of my specific unit which for some reason is emitting odour.

Does it smell good ? Is it like a hot oven ? That amp can even baked egg toast

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #2,113 of 2,598

Will you be getting a replacement? I had the same thing with a soncoz dac. Stunk up the room instantly. I couldn't stand it and send it back.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #2,115 of 2,598
Come on guys I don't want to continue the discussion any further since it is a single unit related issue.
This is a review sample loaned to me that before that was in another reviewers hands so anything could have happened.
Production units don't smell but yes they get hot like all other high power output class A amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back