Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Jan 9, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #796 of 996
The LCD-5 and Volot is a nice pairing. There's a picture of the two on page 41 of this thread if you're interested. I think I prefer the LCD-5 on the Volot over the Formula S and Powerman. The amps sound mostly the same but there are some definite differences especially in the bass region. The Volot has a softer bass with less rumble however the extension is pretty much the same. Since the LCD-5 to my ears has better bass texture than the 1266 I enjoy the pairing with the Volot as the 5 doesn't really benefit much from the more textured bass on the Formula S and Powerman. The 1266 however does. Both amps do imaging and staging quite well with the Volot sounding a bit wider. The only other difference I hear in the amps is with the mids which I think are a bit more forward / intimate on the Volot. However these differences are subtle so both amps are great with the 5 and 1266.

I do have a new dac now so both amps are wired up to the same source. Been trying to do more comparisons between the amps to see which I prefer with my headphones but both amps are very close. Will update if I hear anything new or change preferences of which amp I prefer on my headphones.

Great praise for the Volot knowing Formula S was designed specifically for 1266 (and Formula S is also helped by Powerman).

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #797 of 996
The LCD-5 and Volot is a nice pairing. There's a picture of the two on page 41 of this thread if you're interested. I think I prefer the LCD-5 on the Volot over the Formula S and Powerman. The amps sound mostly the same but there are some definite differences especially in the bass region. The Volot has a softer bass with less rumble however the extension is pretty much the same. Since the LCD-5 to my ears has better bass texture than the 1266 I enjoy the pairing with the Volot as the 5 doesn't really benefit much from the more textured bass on the Formula S and Powerman. The 1266 however does. Both amps do imaging and staging quite well with the Volot sounding a bit wider. The only other difference I hear in the amps is with the mids which I think are a bit more forward / intimate on the Volot. However these differences are subtle so both amps are great with the 5 and 1266.

I do have a new dac now so both amps are wired up to the same source. Been trying to do more comparisons between the amps to see which I prefer with my headphones but both amps are very close. Will update if I hear anything new or change preferences of which amp I prefer on my headphones.
How are you liking the Bricasti MC1 with both amp?

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #798 of 996
Important to note that with May, the bass is definitely textured and felt with my Focal Utopia which is not known to be the most powerful bass but here it does kick and slam when needed. When I asked Vitaliy regarding the bass, he did mention the difference of other amplifiers being more V shaped in their tuning hence why other amplifiers might feel like they do better bass but in reality it's boosted bass.

To really summarize Volot as I have been enjoying it a lot, basically it's a Reference Class A amplifier that gives you exactly what your equipment is giving you, and true to recording. Though be careful with easier to drive headphones, you might damage your hearing :p

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #799 of 996
How are you liking the Bricasti MC1 with both amp?
Yeah it's nice so far. Not as big of a difference as I was hoping for but in comparison to the Pontus I'm hearing more natural timbre, better layering, and slightly less soft treble. The build is much better and I'm happy with it so far. I would still like to try a NOS dac and get more into HQPlayer but for now I'm more interested in tubes and adding that option to my system. It plays well both with Volot and Formula S and Powerman and right now am feeding the Volot with the rca output and the Formula S and Powerman with the XLR output. It's still pretty new to me (about a week of listening) so am still getting used to the sound in my system.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #800 of 996
Yeah it's nice so far. Not as big of a difference as I was hoping for but in comparison to the Pontus I'm hearing more natural timbre, better layering, and slightly less soft treble. The build is much better and I'm happy with it so far. I would still like to try a NOS dac and get more into HQPlayer but for now I'm more interested in tubes and adding that option to my system. It plays well both with Volot and Formula S and Powerman and right now am feeding the Volot with the rca output and the Formula S and Powerman with the XLR output. It's still pretty new to me (about a week of listening) so am still getting used to the sound in my system.
Sounds good. I'm still a little surprise that the FS+P competes with the Volot. Then again, it's not always about power.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #801 of 996
My Volot is now run in with about 200 hours of operation and therefore I can express some personal judgments. It is extremely refined, as well as powerful, perhaps the best solid state on the market today. Despite its size and grandeur the amplifier is extremely musical with a generous headstage, sculpted bass, liquid mids and crystal clear highs. I tried it with Empyrean, SPirit Torino Twin Pulse, Abyss and Susvara and with each of them the match was perfect, a real iron fist in a velvet glove! I was amazed with the Susvara, I thought I had to turn up the volume potentiometer a lot and instead it plays with "a thread of gas" I own many other headphone amps and I have listened to many others and I can say with certainty that the Volot is among the best amp on the market today. If we then consider the selling price, there is no amp capable of countering it. Powerful, refined, musical and economical. What more can you ask for?

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #802 of 996
My Volot is now run in with about 200 hours of operation and therefore I can express some personal judgments. It is extremely refined, as well as powerful, perhaps the best solid state on the market today. Despite its size and grandeur the amplifier is extremely musical with a generous headstage, sculpted bass, liquid mids and crystal clear highs. I tried it with Empyrean, SPirit Torino Twin Pulse, Abyss and Susvara and with each of them the match was perfect, a real iron fist in a velvet glove! I was amazed with the Susvara, I thought I had to turn up the volume potentiometer a lot and instead it plays with "a thread of gas" I own many other headphone amps and I have listened to many others and I can say with certainty that the Volot is among the best amp on the market today. If we then consider the selling price, there is no amp capable of countering it. Powerful, refined, musical and economical. What more can you ask for?
Do you use any power management or filtering with your VOLOT or is it plugged directly into your mains?

I'm interested as I'm considering getting some additional power supply cabling and / or filtering.

Thanks

Ade

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #803 of 996
Glad you are liking it, it's definitely a great amp for the price. In your initial post you mentioned the headamp gsx mk2. Any thoughts on how the Volot compares to it?

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #804 of 996
My Volot is connected to an Oehlbach XXL Powerstation 909
Do you use any power management or filtering with your VOLOT or is it plugged directly into your mains?

I'm interested as I'm considering getting some additional power supply cabling and / or filtering.

Thanks

Ade
My Volot is connected to an Oehlbach XXL Powerstation 909

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #805 of 996
Glad you are liking it, it's definitely a great amp for the price. In your initial post you mentioned the headamp gsx mk2. Any thoughts on how the Volot compares to it?
The Headamp gsx mk2 has a more neutral sound and less accurate channel separation. However, I had the capacitors changed by a specialized technician with Elna Silmic silk and Mundorf as regards the power supply and now it is unrecognizable. He has acquired an incredible musicality approaching the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold as regards listening pleasure . Too bad it can't drive the Susvara and the he6 like the Volt, but on the other hand the gsx has only 6 watts in class A despite being a true balanced.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #806 of 996

Sandu will be doing his 3rd part review in a couple weeks comparing the Volot (non preamp module) vs. Oor + hypsos vs. Soloist 3GT. They are all about the same price range and similar performance specs and characteristics. We'll see what the outcome is but he's pretty non-biased in his reviews and will do both an extensive yt video as well as a written review. My bet is he will favor (slightly) the feerum over both flux and burson.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #808 of 996
Lo penso anch'io. Definirà Volot più rigoroso e Oor più divertente.
Nel frattempo ho ordinato Volot per Susvara e avrò 4 settimane di attesa.

Congrats, you'll be really happy :)

Sandu will be doing his 3rd part review in a couple weeks comparing the Volot (non preamp module) vs. Oor + hypsos vs. Soloist 3GT. They are all about the same price range and similar performance specs and characteristics. We'll see what the outcome is but he's pretty non-biased in his reviews and will do both an extensive yt video as well as a written review. My bet is he will favor (slightly) the feerum over both flux and burson.

Maybe he will like Oor more because he said it's hitting harder, but he seems to like Volot for its black background / good staging/imaging.
But Volot for me does plenty of bass both in headphones and in preamp mode :)
With my Utopia's they have excellent macro/microdynamics and rumble as well as slam when it needs to.
Also important to note, that while he's one of the only ones who have done more of a pro review about it, he's still just 1 person and talks about his opinions and likes in his own setup.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #809 of 996
Congrats, you'll be really happy :)

Maybe he will like Oor more because he said it's hitting harder, but he seems to like Volot for its black background / good staging/imaging.
But Volot for me does plenty of bass both in headphones and in preamp mode :)
With my Utopia's they have excellent macro/microdynamics and rumble as well as slam when it needs to.
Also important to note, that while he's one of the only ones who have done more of a pro review about it, he's still just 1 person and talks about his opinions and likes in his own setup.
Oh I agree he’s one person his primary set of headphones is the susvara and his own personal preference will be toward transients and slam over neutrality. He’s gone into great detail about the Volot at least 3 times in his videos and written articles and he certainly sings the praises of it.

I do find two things confusing about what Volot. His review referenced that Volot is pure class A and deeper class A topology (forgot of it was related to capacitance). Then he goes on to say that Volot is tuned more neutrally than FA-10 and other traditional class A amp signature (luxman / accuphase). Then he goes on to compare the Oor + hypsos which is A/B but it has a more traditional warm A tuning as the mids are thicker and punch/slam are better. While the Volot is more neutral a bigger stage and perhaps greater perceived resolution. Although in his Oor write up it seems he believes the Oor has been resolution.

i lean more towards warmth over a studio monitor like presentation so it makes me a bit more interested in Oor or even luxman p750. either way looking forward to his review and final comparison of the 3.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #810 of 996
I think Sandu has made an effort to explain the differences between Volot and Oor in words and it's not always easy to do that.
I am convinced that at these levels the differences are quite subtle and easily detectable only with an A / B comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back