Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #241 of 996
I'm an idiot.... 1st June not July 😒

regards
Ok, then I can see the disappointment. But they stated from the beginning there would have been limited quantities. Don't know what these rare parts are, guess it has to do with the known global chip shortage. The same day I received the Volot I received my much awaited Sony Alpha 1 camera, and that has been a 4 months wait since I ordered it. :xf_eek:

On a sidenote, I wonder what happened to Soundnews's Volot, there must have been some problems with shipping, as he was expecting to receive it several weeks ago

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #242 of 996
My Volot finally arrived in the mail. Here's a picture in my new rack that I'm glad I ordered as this thing is huge especially for a headphone amplifier.
Volot in rack.jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #244 of 996
Positive impressions so far driving the 1266 out of the Volot. Bass sounds fuller, more textured, and has authority to it. Vocals have more presence and don't feel so distant as they did at times on the FA-12. It feels like music sounds more natural and I get more of a feeling like I'm just hearing the music and not listening to headphones. I guess this means that imaging and soundstage is a bit better too. Overall I would say that the Volot sounds natural. The tonality is similar to the FA-12 although I think the FA-12 had a bit more treble energy which was nice on some tracks. The Volot is to my ears an improvement over the FA-12 although it's definitely not a 3x improvement given the price difference. Maybe 1.5x or so.

The buttons don't feel as nice as the switches on the FA-12 however I like the volume control better on the Volot than the FA-12. One thing I noticed is that at the beginning of the volume knob there is about 10 degrees of movement before the relays start clicking and the same at the end. I don't use the volume in that range but just something I noticed when I was playing with the knob before I plugged headphones in. The amp gets much hotter than the FA-12 so I wouldn't stack anything on top.

Going forward I want to try my other headphones and also test the single ended connection between the Pontus and Volot to see if there's any noticeable difference with that. I'm guessing my impressions will change over time especially once I go back to the FA-12 and see what I think of that after adjusting to the Volot.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #245 of 996
I asked Flux which would be closest to the Volot in terms of sound and their reply was that "The circuitry at Volot is closer to the FA-10 (not Pro). But the sound level is much higher in all aspects.". Also on the balanced input they mentioned that "It should also be noted that the balanced inputs are based on an active differential line receiver and are capable of fully working with a balanced signal." When I asked if there would be a difference in sound using either inputs - "We set up so that there was no difference between the inputs."

Let's wait and see if these are validated by the first owners. :)

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #246 of 996
Positive impressions so far driving the 1266 out of the Volot. Bass sounds fuller, more textured, and has authority to it. Vocals have more presence and don't feel so distant as they did at times on the FA-12. It feels like music sounds more natural and I get more of a feeling like I'm just hearing the music and not listening to headphones. I guess this means that imaging and soundstage is a bit better too. Overall I would say that the Volot sounds natural. The tonality is similar to the FA-12 although I think the FA-12 had a bit more treble energy which was nice on some tracks. The Volot is to my ears an improvement over the FA-12 although it's definitely not a 3x improvement given the price difference. Maybe 1.5x or so.

My Volot has been here for a week, powered on the whole time, and now approaching 75 hours or so of pushing signal into various dynamic headphones. Very interesting to read your impressions -- especially because mine are a bit different and I was actually starting to consider adding the FA-12 to the stable :) Everything I read about the FA-12 as well as Vitaliy's own feedback on it as compared to Volot is almost opposite of yours -- in that it has a "darker" delivery with "fuller body" and "meatier mids". Amazing how we all hear differently but also how component pairings come into play? I wonder if any of the below resonates with you.

Initially I found the amp way too bright for my taste, even with some of the softer-sounding cans I have. Coming back to it after 50 hours of play I found the character changed quite drastically and the sound signature became much more balanced and cohesive.

Below is how it sounds to me so far and the related thoughts I have. Most of the listening was done with a lot of (well -produced) electronic stuff of various genres, even though I am normally a jazz fanatic. I just can't for now peel myself away from the sheer fun that Volot's slam-factor brings to that music. All the cans are dynamic and closed (save for HD650), as such has been my general preference. It has yet to be seen how this amp does gentle finesse and delicacy of tone -- a lot more listening to do, and it'll be put through its paces.

- I agree very much that it has a natural character but it definitely has a very highly resolved top end; not to say harsh but definitely resolved and full of nuance. Or at least that's how I hear it :) Detail freaks should be happy. I am not one, and would not want the highs any hotter.
- amazing grip in the bass. Took almost every headphone I tried to the next level in that department. If the cans are capable, this thing delivers bottomless, hard-slamming bass, with incredible control.
- the amp is incredibly fast all across the frequency range. Incisive edges to all transients. No exaggerated decays or overhang in the lows and just a sense of precision everywhere. Not clinical by any measure; maybe a hint of warmth if anything but not at all a "rosy" presentation if one were looking for that.
- it conveys the sense of volume and depth rather well. It's not the most 3D-like presentation I have heard from a headphone amp -- that would go to some tube units I heard and owned -- but it surely isn't flat and is very engaging, and can step quite a bit outside of your head in all directions -- strongly depending on the recording and the headphones probably. All in all I'd say that while undoubtedly solid-state, this is solid state at its best, and the kind that when it's good, it's real good. And I am a long-time tube fiend when it comes to music reproduction.
- the headphone pairings. I feel that this is where the rubber meets the road with this amp in a sense that it will, I think, squeeze the max out of all but the most hard-to-drive cans, enhancing their qualities to a degree that one might not have expected, possibly more so than with other amps due to the immense power reserve and headroom and high current. Depending on the pairing, the result may be amazing, or it may be too much of a good thing. There probably may also be too much of a bad thing, although I have not yet encountered that with my headphone stash. Some headphones will scale more than others no doubt. I love and have a bunch of Foster-based cans, and not just because I am indeed a basshead but also due to their quality of tone and their spatial presentation. The one that deserves a special mention in connection to Volot IME so far is EMU Teak. I do love the Teaks in general despite their various shortcomings in comparison to either the th900 or 9200, or the Phonon, for that matter but they generally have remained for me a bit of a guilty pleasure in light of having these other cans. Until the Volot. This amp makes the Teak into a convincing TH900 beater in just about every aspect: the bass and subbass firm up, the bleed into the low mids is all but eliminated, a whole new level of clarity and resolution is obtained through the mids and highs, etc. Interestingly -- or maybe expectedly so -- the TH900 seems to become almost too much of a good thing, in contrast, and does not seem to scale just as well here -- but that's more of gut feeling, as I have not yet listened enough with them. Another can that's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me is the Z1R, and so far I am also REALLY liking what Volot is doing with it. On a different note, plugged in the HD650s -- always been a fan of them -- expecting them to find a whole new bass foundation, lose the veil, etc. -- and found out that the Jot 2 is a much better pairing with them to my ears: both amps easily lift the proverbial veil but with the Jot they sound more expansive and organic. Volot did NOT make them into bass monsters -- Jot does better there, too -- and somehow the pairing just sounded constrained. Which brings us to the last point:
- Volot makes you understand just how much of a value something like a Jot 2 is at 5x+ less money but at the same time it also clearly presents to you that next level of sound quality where some will see nothing but strongly diminishing returns and others will feel is worth every penny. No doubt a great amp -- that's for sure.

It makes me curious indeed how some hard-to-drive planars would sound with this amp. If anyone here in SF Bay wants to bring over a Susvara or some such to hear with the Volot, I can accommodate that, and I'd love to hear the cans :) Just shoot me a PM...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #247 of 996
Everything I read about the FA-12 as well as Vitaliy's own feedback on it as compared to Volot is almost opposite of yours -- in that it has a "darker" delivery with "fuller body" and "meatier mids". Amazing how we all hear differently but also how component pairings come into play? I wonder if any of the below resonates with you.
Definitely interesting and maybe my thoughts of the FA-12 and Volot will change once I do a direct comparison. My impressions I posted so far were just immediate thoughts I had when listening to the Volot for the first time. The mids that I referred to as thin were more a quality of the 1266 and FA-12 pairing then it was of the FA-12. Moving to the Volot, the 1266 mids sounded closer and more real, with less of a distant feeling to them. The treble presentation could be a volume thing and am interested in what I think when I try the FA-12 again

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #248 of 996
My impression is that treble improved quite a bit after some hours. Still far from the recommended 100h.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #249 of 996
Had a problem with the Volot today unfortunately. I left it on from 10 am to 4 pm and then I smelled smoke. Turns out one of the transformers started smoking and melted a bit. I reached out to FLA and they are working on a solution. Not sure what caused it as there was nothing apparently wrong like shorting of wires or anything when I removed the lid. I hope this problem is only with my unit as I know FLA does extensive testing with each unit. I hope they will be able to find a fix or at least replace my unit. If not I may have to look elsewhere for an amp. Despite this problem the little that I did listen to the amp it sounded quite good. I hope I can listen to it again. Here's a pic of the melted part.
Volot problem 2.jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #250 of 996
Had a problem with the Volot today unfortunately. I left it on from 10 am to 4 pm and then I smelled smoke. Turns out one of the transformers started smoking and melted a bit. I reached out to FLA and they are working on a solution. Not sure what caused it as there was nothing apparently wrong like shorting of wires or anything when I removed the lid. I hope this problem is only with my unit as I know FLA does extensive testing with each unit. I hope they will be able to find a fix or at least replace my unit. If not I may have to look elsewhere for an amp. Despite this problem the little that I did listen to the amp it sounded quite good. I hope I can listen to it again. Here's a pic of the melted part.Volot problem 2.jpg
Sorry to hear that. I hope the folks at Flux Lab resolve this issue ASAP.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #251 of 996
Had a problem with the Volot today unfortunately. I left it on from 10 am to 4 pm and then I smelled smoke. Turns out one of the transformers started smoking and melted a bit. I reached out to FLA and they are working on a solution. Not sure what caused it as there was nothing apparently wrong like shorting of wires or anything when I removed the lid. I hope this problem is only with my unit as I know FLA does extensive testing with each unit. I hope they will be able to find a fix or at least replace my unit. If not I may have to look elsewhere for an amp. Despite this problem the little that I did listen to the amp it sounded quite good. I hope I can listen to it again. Here's a pic of the melted part.Volot problem 2.jpg
Man what a bummer. I hope for you a speedy replacement.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #252 of 996
Ugh, that sucks! Right after you got it too, can't imagine the disappointment. Hopefully Flux can help you with haste. Bummer. Feel for you

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #254 of 996
While I wait to hear from Flux about a fix for the Volot I have plugged back in the FA-12 to my system. The sound feels a little smaller and less dynamic. Also the 3d sense of the sound is much less than what I remember from before with the Volot. Bass is still punchy but feels a little loose and not as controlled as before. Overall tonality is pretty much the same though but less natural sounding. The treble might be a little harsher on the FA-12. I think I was mistaking treble harshness for treble energy and the Volot treble presentation was actually better now that I've gone back and listened to the FA-12. Despite the differences the FA-12 is still a good amp and can drive the 1266 well enough.

Couple things about the transformer issue from earlier with my Volot. It was just sitting there powered on and nothing was connected to the output. Maybe I would have caught the issue sooner with headphones plugged in but I don't want to know what could have happened to my headphones especially the 1266 if the transformer had failed when it was connected. Also the rest of the amp does not appear to be damaged at least from a visual inspection so that's good too. Thanks for the kind words about my issue I experienced today and I too hope that FLA can provide a fix shortly.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #255 of 996
You may have taken it a bit too literally with the burn in thing... :wink:

Interesting you went for the FA12 instead of the 10 for the Abyss? Flux would recommend the latter for that headphone. But having a Volot and the 12 makes for a nice selection to choose from. Hope it gets sorted quickly and professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back