Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Jul 18, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #316 of 996
No issues so far.
What death pop? There's always a pop when turning off, and when turning on as well. Relay related things.
My old Malvalve used to make similar sounds when turning on or off, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #319 of 996
Death pop, almost blew me off my chair. I'm used to a pop on my Aragon monoblocks. They make a pop on turn off but not like this. I have not had this with other amps. I do not hear a pop in the headphones on power up I can hear the soft-start working witch is normal. I did repeat the pop with a cheap pair of buds. However if I use the routine of dac off first I see no reason to be worried. I would absolutely recommend this amp as a great buy.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #321 of 996
Hey everyone just wanted to provide a bit of an update. I decided to get a refund instead of a replacement so I no longer will be receiving a new Volot. After initially requesting the replacement I was getting a little concerned about using something that had failed on me and I decided to purchase another amplifier that meets certain certifications so that I don't have to worry about a failure like this again or at least I can be reassured that the testing was rigorous. Flux was very helpful throughout this return then refund process and let me change my mind a week after asking for the replacement.

The amp I decided on is the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman as it's intended for the 1266 and it has a similar design to the Volot being dual mono and class A. After my brief experience hearing the Volot I would say that it's a great value for money as I do think it competes with the Formula S. From my memory of the Volot both it and the Formula S do a good job with bass reproduction and texture as well as adding more body to the instruments. I'd be interested in someone who owns both amps to do a comparison at some point as I think they are closer than the price would imply and the Volot having more power is a more flexible amplifier.

I've seen some mention of this death pop and for the few hours that I used mine I did not hear anything like that. Although I removed my headphones before turning off the amp so I probably wouldn't hear it if it happened anyways.

Hope those who ordered one enjoy it. Despite my problem with the one I ordered I thought it sounded great for the short time I heard it and bet it sounds even better over time.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #322 of 996
The amp I decided on is the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman as it's intended for the 1266 and it has a similar design to the Volot being dual mono and class A.
Formula S is not a dual mono design, dual mono has a separate power supply for each amp channel, and the Formula S has a common power supply. It would be interesting to compare, because real amplifiers with dual mono like Volot can have a more spacious soundstage.
I guess, the Formula will work in class A only with low output power. It has too small radiators to work in pure class A at the specified power. And external radiators are not connected.

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #323 of 996
Formula S is not a dual mono design, dual mono has a separate power supply for each amp channel, and the Formula S has a common power supply. It would be interesting to compare, because real amplifiers with dual mono like Volot can have a more spacious soundstage.
I guess, the Formula will work in class A only with low output power. It has too small radiators to work in pure class A at the specified power. And external radiators are not connected.
Not necessarily the case. Transformers can have multiple primary windings, which would eliminate the need for separate single transformers. It’s just a design choice. The Formula S is a dual mono design, but built on a different theory than the Volot.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #324 of 996
Hey everyone just wanted to provide a bit of an update. I decided to get a refund instead of a replacement so I no longer will be receiving a new Volot. After initially requesting the replacement I was getting a little concerned about using something that had failed on me and I decided to purchase another amplifier that meets certain certifications so that I don't have to worry about a failure like this again or at least I can be reassured that the testing was rigorous. Flux was very helpful throughout this return then refund process and let me change my mind a week after asking for the replacement.

The amp I decided on is the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman as it's intended for the 1266 and it has a similar design to the Volot being dual mono and class A. After my brief experience hearing the Volot I would say that it's a great value for money as I do think it competes with the Formula S. From my memory of the Volot both it and the Formula S do a good job with bass reproduction and texture as well as adding more body to the instruments. I'd be interested in someone who owns both amps to do a comparison at some point as I think they are closer than the price would imply and the Volot having more power is a more flexible amplifier.

I've seen some mention of this death pop and for the few hours that I used mine I did not hear anything like that. Although I removed my headphones before turning off the amp so I probably wouldn't hear it if it happened anyways.

Hope those who ordered one enjoy it. Despite my problem with the one I ordered I thought it sounded great for the short time I heard it and bet it sounds even better over time.
I'm worried because Denafrips and Musician DACs also lack the CE certification, althought those products are less than 20 Watts of power consumption, but the brands inisist in let them always powered on (or at least 4 hours before listening to music)...

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #325 of 996
I'm worried because Denafrips and Musician DACs also lack the CE certification, although those products are less than 20 Watts of power consumption, but the brands inssist in let them always powered on (or at least 4 hours before listening to music)...
My Pontus has not yet had any issues and I've left in on since I received it a few months ago, only turning it off or putting it in standby to rearrange my desk / audio rack and connecting new devices to it.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #326 of 996
We should not worry. Denafrips and FLA are highly evolved products. Anomalies happen with even the most scrutinized companies, even NASA. I do regret using the word "death" in my description for a potential harmful pop to your headphones in certain circumstances i.e. source on at power down. It was only mentioned to help prevent this from happening to others. This is not a concern to me and simple to do. I also would like to say my Denafrips and FA-22 have been performing beautifully together for over 120hrs continuously.

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #327 of 996
Not necessarily the case. Transformers can have multiple primary windings, which would eliminate the need for separate single transformers. It’s just a design choice. The Formula S is a dual mono design, but built on a different theory than the Volot.
As I understand, you meant multiple secondary windings. Since the primary winding is connected to the mains and always the only one for one transformer (it can have several taps to work with different mains voltages). But the secondary winding is also one here (with a midpoint for bipolar voltage). Thus, the power supply is common for the both channels. I tried to show it in the picture below:

Attachments

• Formula S power.jpg
    Formula S power.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #328 of 996
As I understand, you meant multiple secondary windings. Since the primary winding is connected to the mains and always the only one for one transformer (it can have several taps to work with different mains voltages). But the secondary winding is also one here (with a midpoint for bipolar voltage). Thus, the power supply is common for the both channels. I tried to show it in the picture below:
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. The picture also shows separate left and right amp channels even though they share a single power supply. So maybe it's not a true dual mono in that sense.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #329 of 996
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. The picture also shows separate left and right amp channels even though they share a single power supply. So maybe it's not a true dual mono in that sense.
The amplifier channels will be separate in any case, it's just that here they are made on separate printed circuit boards and not on a common one. But this does not make the amplifier dual mono, dual mono is always an individual power supply.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #330 of 996

For the asking price, the internal view of the XI audio amp is a joke.

Another joke from Ultrasone, the Volcano amp:
1626857121769.jpeg

Asking price is 20 000$

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back