Flip Tips (or FlipTips) - Prepare to have your mind blown
May 9, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 84
@Slater Thanks again for the idea. Just tried it KZ Starline M tips. Wow. What a PITA!! :joy:

I used a 3.5mm impedance adapter similarly to @crtninja to push the tube up and out but I was extremely carefully to not tear the tube or go through the side of the outer part. I guess my index finger or grip isn't strong enough to work it out. No tips were lost in this attempt though who knows with future tips.

Using these on my T2 now, similar sound to Auvio M tips, maybe a touch more airy/spacious sounding.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 84
Reminds me of something I tried doing back in the days, basically I'd take one soft really pliable silicone tip and flip it and then jam its stem into a wide bore, essentially stacking them and creating a kind of make-shift dual flange style, you can try with a combination of arrangements and it helps if you have some wide-bore tips to play around with because the stems of other tips fit like a glove within the wider bore.. this is funky, it reminds me of the shape those memory foam tips have. this might be especially good with those really soft starlines.

May 10, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #19 of 84
May 10, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #21 of 84
This is great idea :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Anyone success to flip S size starline ?

I got a S Starline to flip.

I don’t know how usable it is though. It’s basically a cylinder with squared off edges. It looks like the tire from a Hot Wheels toy car. Very uncomfortable looking.

Top of tip (the part that goes into your ear):
image.jpg

Bottom of tip (part that goes onto IEM nozzle):
image.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #22 of 84
Yeah, starlines are not good for flip-tip when using S-size.

May 10, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #25 of 84
confirmed. inside grip is great to stay into the coupler without help.
it will probably affect to high frequencies, due to the new shape, wider bore.
used a simple screw to flip them, @Slater hint about golf tee is spot on, as usual. guess any screw with appropriated head diameter will serve. first, pull the flanges while holding the screw. then, pull the screw while holding the tip.
unable to flip s size, though (fortunately, i don't need it).
forgive the camera focus.. low light here now
flip-tip_01.jpg flip-tip_02.jpg flip-tip_03.jpg flip-tip_04.jpg

May 10, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #26 of 84
I usually use L Starlines but flipped a bunch of Med Starlines and they work great on TRN V20, Kinera BD005 and Advanced S200 that I previously had difficulty getting a consistently good seal with because of these have a shorter than normal nozzle. Thanks this was a great idea.

May 11, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #28 of 84
I flip tipped a bunch of Starlines today and passed them out to a couple of friends.

The screw method @hakuzen shows above is the easiest method by far. You can also use a large nail (sometimes called a penny nail), which does the same thing.

I did a bunch of them in about 10 seconds each.

May 14, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #29 of 84
longer core/inner tube is an advantage for many iems. and you can cut it off a bit if needed.
found another advantage. old grey starlines use a thicker and stiffer silicone than "new" black, plus some rugossity. used to get better seal with grey, but they irritated my sensitive skin. found they don't irritate when flipped =))

May 14, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #30 of 84
longer core/inner tube is an advantage for many iems. and you can cut it off a bit if needed.
found another advantage. old grey starlines use a thicker and stiffer silicone than "new" black, plus some rugossity. used to get better seal with grey, but they irritated my sensitive skin. found they don't irritate when flipped =))

Ah, super idea. I haven’t flipped a grey one yet. Nor the one that came with ZS4/ZS3E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back