Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
May 3, 2011 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

duotone

100+ Head-Fier
Read a review in the newspaper on Friday which gave it 5/5 and was close to booking concert tickets & was planning on immediately going out and buying the cd, until I heard it on Spotify.

After listening to it once all the way through today I must say I am a bit disappointed. After the 1st listen it feels a long way off from the level & quality on their 1st album.

Anyone agree?
Thoughts on the new album anyone? 

May 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 19
Am listenting on Spotify (premium) now - am definitely getting the CD tomorrow. On first impressions it sounds absolutely wonderful so far and I'm on track 5 and haven't found anything to complain about so far, and this is a band whoes music definitely improves with each listen as you start to delve into the harmonies and melodies. Am really looking forward to getting to know this one.

May 3, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 19
Fantastic new album, the opener is the best introduction one could hope for

May 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 19
i think the disappointment upon first listen is understandable.
the album is more complex, and less immediate, for sure...  but, with a few more spins it takes root and starts to reward you...

i think it's going to become a favorite in time.
in a year that is already ripe with great new music, this is a keeper!

May 4, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 19
Had it playing in the background off Rdio while at work, and was a little disappointed. Now that i have taken to the time to actually listen to it I am really enjoying it.

May 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 19
This is definitely one of my favorite albums.  Their first album was amazing and this one definitely follows up well.  In my opinion, the first album has a wintry mood, while the new album has a summery mood.  Maybe that's just me.  Anyway, "Helplessness Blues" is fantastic.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 19
After some more time with it I find this one pretty boring. It just goes on and on with no highs or lows
confused_face.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 19
I loved their first one, so I was a bit disappointed with Helplessness Blues as well. But this album grew on me big time. It's probably my favorite album this year thus far. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 19
Great album. I look forward to the group putting out many years worth of great music. They'll be an automatic purchase for me whenever they release something new.... 

Dukedudez- 
Very nice review. I agree wholeheartedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back