FLC Technology - New FLC 8N - Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #106 of 304
Final audio tips in large (for me) are nice also, I use them too. I often end up preferring others for sound (I tend to like tips that make the sound a bit brighter), but they are a good additional option to have, no doubts on it :) .

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #107 of 304
Final audio tips in large (for me) are nice also, I use them too. I often end up preferring others for sound (I tend to like tips that make the sound a bit brighter), but they are a good additional option to have, no doubts on it :) .
If I could remove the filters I probably wouldn't feel so tip dependant. The grey/grey/ gold is pretty "in your face" with wide bore tips. Elevating the sub bass a bit would help. I am not a fan of being on the stage and prefer 1-2 rows back.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #108 of 304
Change sub bass to red and then maybe give gunmetal a try. It is quite easy to change nozzle filters. Gold has a tendency to sound forward in some cases so better give gunmetal a try.

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #109 of 304
Some thoughts on the 8D:

8D with the Gold Filter sounds literally identical to the 8N with the Red+Grey+Gold filter combo. The mids on the 8D is just a smidge (the key word is smidge) forward than on the 8N. Without an A/B test, I doubt anyone would even notice the difference in the mids between the 2 models. As a result, the choice between 8D and 8N basically comes down to the bass quantity and the ability to tune it.

8D has a slightly enhanced bass range (a few dBs north of neutral) and the quantity is not adjustable. As a result, it may not be everyone's cup of tea and might not be ideal for all genres. For example, when I listen to classical, I prefer to have a neutral level bass. This is where the 8N has its advantage, as it lets you adjust the bass to a neutral quantity or enhance it further.

On the other hand, if you are okay with the slightly enhanced bass, and don't see a need for adjusting the bass, just go for the 8D. You not only save $80, you also don't have to deal with those tiny, finicky bass filters.

Btw, when you search for the 8D on the shop.musicteck.com, you need to search for 'FLC8D' (without a space in between the FLC and 8D). Here is the link: https://shop.musicteck.com/products/flc8d-flc8n-fixed-low-frequency

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #110 of 304
Some thoughts on the 8D:

8D with the Gold Filter sounds literally identical to the 8N with the Red+Grey+Gold filter combo. The mids on the 8D is just a smidge (the key word is smidge) forward than on the 8N. Without an A/B test, I doubt anyone would even notice the difference in the mids between the 2 models. As a result, the choice between 8D and 8N basically comes down to the bass quantity and the ability to tune it.

8D has a slightly enhanced bass range (a few dBs north of neutral) and the quantity is not adjustable. As a result, it may not be everyone's cup of tea and might not be ideal for all genres. For example, when I listen to classical, I prefer to have a neutral level bass. This is where the 8N has its advantage, as it lets you adjust the bass to a neutral quantity or enhance it further.

On the other hand, if you are okay with the slightly enhanced bass, and don't see a need for adjusting the bass, just go for the 8D. You not only save $80, you also don't have to deal with those tiny, finicky bass filters.

Btw, when you search for the 8D on the shop.musicteck.com, you need to search for 'FLC8D' (without a space in between the FLC and 8D). Here is the link: https://shop.musicteck.com/products/flc8d-flc8n-fixed-low-frequency
Is Red/Grey/Gold your chosen configuration?

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #111 of 304
My preferred config is the Grey+Grey+Gold as it is very versatile. I never change the Gold filter. When I listen to classical, I go for Grey+White+Gold. For action movies, I like using the Red+Grey+Gold or Red+Black+Gold combos.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #114 of 304
Does the FLC8D have any vent holes like the 8N and 8S?

Reason that I am asking, is about using on a Subway ... The 8S wasn't great at keeping that much noise out. I figured it was because of the ports or vent holes ... So I just wanted to know if the new 'fixed' version was a bit more isolating

Thanks

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #115 of 304
Does the FLC8D have any vent holes like the 8N and 8S?

Reason that I am asking, is about using on a Subway ... The 8S wasn't great at keeping that much noise out. I figured it was because of the ports or vent holes ... So I just wanted to know if the new 'fixed' version was a bit more isolating

Thanks
The FLC8D have 3 little holes for venting the driver. They're quite small. I also use my FLC8D on the subway and I get very good isolation using Sony hybrid tips, not quite on the level of a full closed balanced armature IEM but pretty good.
20180924_145455.jpg

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #116 of 304
I wonder if you have the same issue I have. My ear canals angle upward - not horizontally into my head, so while I think they should fit nicely in the concha bowl like this:

they actually end up a bit more like this:

I've noticed this with several IEMs, including the KSE1500. I don't know if I have atypical ear anatomy or others find this issue too? This is a pretty minor issue for me though. I still find the FLC8N ergonomics better than that of the FLC8S.
Wow, I've been having problems with the FLC8S due to the angle of my ear canal just like your second illustration. It mostly affects my right ear. The cable is rigid so trying to tuck it behind the ear exerts force on the housing which, in turn, breaks the seal. Been using an ear guide which helps but is a pain in the butt. I actually messaged @Flcforrestwei asking for suggestions or if they could make a flexible cable. I think a flexible cable would cure the problem. Actually been thinking about selling the 8S because of this and maybe getting the FLC8N or 8D which would open up flexible cable options. Any suggestions?

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #117 of 304
Wow, I've been having problems with the FLC8S due to the angle of my ear canal just like your second illustration. It mostly affects my right ear. The cable is rigid so trying to tuck it behind the ear exerts force on the housing which, in turn, breaks the seal. Been using an ear guide which helps but is a pain in the butt. I actually messaged @Flcforrestwei asking for suggestions or if they could make a flexible cable. I think a flexible cable would cure the problem. Actually been thinking about selling the 8S because of this and maybe getting the FLC8N or 8D which would open up flexible cable options. Any suggestions?
I made myself a soft silver litz cable for my FLC8S and applied a little heat-treatment to the wire to get it to bend in on both sides. That was way better (more comfy and less microphonic) than the stock FLC8S cable.

FWIW, I find the ergonomics of both IEM and cable are better on the FLC8N. But because of the FLC8N plug housing it's going to be next to impossible to make a custom cable that doesn't look very weird at the connection point. You can make a 2-pin cable fit, but it'll look weird and likely put some strain on the pins. I just use the stock cable with the FLC8N. The FLC8N nozzles aren't angled, but they're slightly shorter than those on the FLC8S, so the IEM doesn't stick out as far.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #120 of 304

Users who are viewing this thread

Back