FLC Technology - New FLC 8N - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #93 of 304
I'm not sure the price of a headphone is a good correlation with SQ. Price is only really a good indication of placebo effect (which won't work if you don't see the sticker price!). E.g. Utopia MSRP = $4000. KSE1200 MSRP = $2000. There's a big difference in resolution and clarity between the two, but not in the way you'd think, going just by sticker price :wink:

Here's my concern with all these nebulous reviews claiming they've heard things they never heard before with any other headphones. Of course you'll hear things you've never heard before. If you listen intently, you'd near something you'd never heard before even with some of the early pairs of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. And if your new headphone has a bit of a bump at a certain frequency, it's even more likely that that part of the spectrum is going to stick out and expose something you may not have noticed before. But that's not necessarily a good thing. Nasty resonance spikes don't make for a fun long-term listening experience.

I don't want to pick on any individuals here, but some of the recent reviews I've read on the FLC8N could have been written by Steve Guttenberg - the world's most naked Emperor. Here's an example of his nebulous nonsense: "Putting on Satriani’s Shockwave Supernova, Joe’s guitar solos soared and delivered tone, growl and bite. On Chicago II’s Movin’ In, Peter Cetera’s bass digs deep down the fretboard with solid, clear and low bass, while Walter Parazaider’s flute flairs as the intensity of the track rises. On the Dave Brubeck's “Three to Get Ready”, the alto sax was breathy and had that rasp of reedy vibration." You can literally cut and paste this type of crap into a review of any headphone. It tells a potential buyer absolutely nothing.

It's tough to rank these headphones, because they all have strengths and weaknesses, but if I had a gun to my head, I'd probably go with:

Xelento = FLC8S > FLC8N

Xelento and FLC8S are really, really close in terms of my own preferences. The one downside (for me) with FLC8S is that it's sometimes a little too bright-sounding because of the broad resonance peak from about 7-9 kHz. (Your mileage will vary with respect to those peaks, in fact, with a frequency sweep, I tend to hear them at slightly higher frequencies than my coupler measures them - it all depends on ear-canal anatomy.) The one downside (again, this is just for me) with Xelento is it's sometimes a little thick sounding on account of a fairly heavy mid-bass. It's a very tough call, but I find I spend more time with the Xelento just because it's more comfy. As for the FLC8N, I prefer its ergonomics to that of the FLC8S, but it has a tendency to sound even brighter than the FLC8S, on account of still more energy in that ~7-9 kHz region. Will people hear more details with the FLC8N? Almost certainly. It'd be great for those with hearing loss where the consonants in speech (~8 kHz) are starting to get lost. I've not experimented enough with different eartips - and it's possible that foam tips will tame those lower trebles, but they also tend to tame/kill the upper treble, which is where most BA-based IEMs seem to struggle.

I would be very cautious of nebulous reviews, especially the "unbiased" ones that were written in exchange for free merchandise. How much air somebody else claims to hear from Walter Parazaider’s flute is never going to be any kind of substitute for listening to the headphone yourself :)

I Never hear X before till yesterday at Guangzhou Show, but I hear it's predecessor T, last year when Gr09 was launched, it's boss said Gr09 can beat X, at that time I'm kind of believe, but I said nothing because I never hear it.

but now, I can confirm just at a three-minute listen, at 14000 Hz (the frequency of treble extension) X at least 10dB lower than FLC8n and FLC8s.

I can tell you why, see the picture below, the bore of X is not at the center of the speak, treble extension can not come out smoothly.

As I said at the other post, production developing is a compromise, X is very comfortable, but to get a comfortable wearing, they sacrificed the sound.

I'm developing single dynamic speaker IEMs now, I know very well the situation, Byer is a company with decades of earphone experience, I had thought maybe they came out of a way to overcome the treble extension issue, but obviously, they didn't

Now you said : X = FLC8S > FLC8N, I just doubt .........

But I know, feeling to the sound is subjective, just like feeling to the taste, maybe you like the style of FLC8s more than FLC8n's.

Anyway, Thanks for giving FLC8n 4.5 stars at your review, even you don't like it very much.

X.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #94 of 304
I Never hear X before till yesterday at Guangzhou Show, but I hear it's predecessor T, last year when Gr09 was launched, it's boss said Gr09 can beat X, at that time I'm kind of believe, but I said nothing because I never hear it.

but now, I can confirm just at a three-minute listen, at 14000 Hz (the frequency of treble extension) X at least 10dB lower than FLC8n and FLC8s.

I can tell you why, see the picture below, the bore of X is not at the center of the speak, treble extension can not come out smoothly.

As I said at the other post, production developing is a compromise, X is very comfortable, but to get a comfortable wearing, they sacrificed the sound.

I'm developing single dynamic speaker IEMs now, I know very well the situation, Byer is a company with decades of earphone experience, I had thought maybe they came out of a way to overcome the treble extension issue, but obviously, they didn't

Now you said : X = FLC8S > FLC8N, I just doubt .........

But I know, feeling to the sound is subjective, just like feeling to the taste, maybe you like the style of FLC8s more than FLC8n's.

Anyway, Thanks for giving FLC8n 4.5 stars at your review, even you don't like it very much.

Hi @Flcforrestwei, I don't mind arguing. That's how we establish the truth. Besides the supremus status only counts the number, not the quality of posts :)

You are right about the treble extension of the Xelento past 10 kHz. But the Xelento also has less lower treble, so while it can lack a little air, it also doesn't have the brightness of either the 8n or 8s, and that's the overwhelming factor to my ears.

And I do like the 8n. It's a very good headphone. It's just that - for my ears - I still prefer the sound of the 8s. I never like to say one headphone is better or worse. It's all about individual preferences. I'm not going to argue with anybody else who prefers the 8n.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #95 of 304
When does LendMeUrEars.com have the most discounts? Is it Christmas or Chinese New Year?

I would like to get the 8N for the slightly better fit, but I will wait for some type of discount.

I just placed an order for: AudioQuest NightHawks and "BGVP DMG's". I am curious about the earphones and they were $100 cheaper than the 8N. I couldnt swing purchasing the 8N as well.

BTW: I'm getting the NightHawks because I just love the NightOwls. If anyone is looking for a very nice closed headphone then the NightOwl's are the one. The huge price drop by AudioQuest, to get out of the headphone business, makes the NightOwl's a no brainier.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #97 of 304
Hey @Flcforrestwei

Do you have any experience with Vivo smartphones in China? They have 2 really great phones namely Xplay6 and the new Nex S. Do you think these are worth it for their sound quality or daps are better for flc8n?

I want to know your opinion on this.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #98 of 304
Hey @Flcforrestwei

Do you have any experience with Vivo smartphones in China? They have 2 really great phones namely Xplay6 and the new Nex S. Do you think these are worth it for their sound quality or daps are better for flc8n?

I want to know your opinion on this.

Sorry! I haven't tried them yet, I ' ll try This week.

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #99 of 304
My package arrived today...a couple of questions that might save me a little time. Is there a consensus tuning that is a fave and what eartips is everyone using?

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #100 of 304
My package arrived today...a couple of questions that might save me a little time. Is there a consensus tuning that is a fave and what eartips is everyone using?

I don't have 8n but it's previous model 8s. Fave is definitely red, grey and gold. Rest all depends on your source if you have a bassy one then grey, grey gold is better. Other option is gunmetal nozzle filter which can give bettet treble extension if you want that.

My most used tip right now is the stock black silicon tip (one size below medium). It provides better grip then the white tip although white tip tends to little brighter sound.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #101 of 304
@subguy812 same as @Thearcade12 , I have the FLC8s, and for a long time I used and enjoyed the same settings as he (red/grey/gold)... After quite a bit of time, somebody suggested the possibility of also just omitting filters (strangely enough that never even entered my mind, before that somebody opened that door :) ), and I ended up settling on red/none/none, which I preferred to the red/grey/gold... found it a bit airier.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #103 of 304
Thanks guys...what about eartips? Also, any hints to make it easier to remove the gunmetal and swap the red, I cant seem to get underneath it to lift it.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #104 of 304
FLC's plastic tweezers can help in removing. For eartips, FLC's own are nice, I liked them (the white one in large, if memory serves - my ear canals are big :)) ... after long use I experienced some tendency for the IEMs to slip out from my ears during use, though, even after washing them with soap. So I gravitated towards some replacements: Spiral Dots in large were not bad, and Symbio Mandarins W were also nice, but both were less than perfect. Nowadays I use Azla SednaEarfits in large (got them from Amazon Japan), with my 8s, and they stay put :) .

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #105 of 304
FLC's plastic tweezers can help in removing. For eartips, FLC's own are nice, I liked them (the white one in large, if memory serves - my ear canals are big :)) ... after long use I experienced some tendency for the IEMs to slip out from my ears during use, though, even after washing them with soap. So I gravitated towards some replacements: Spiral Dots in large were not bad, and Symbio Mandarins W were also nice, but both were less than perfect. Nowadays I use Azla SednaEarfits in large (got them from Amazon Japan), with my 8s, and they stay put :) .
I have big ear holes...and am using JVC Spiral Dots.. I was thinking a narrower bore might be better. I will try the Final Audio tips maybe. No one warned me I would need a sedative before I started playing with these. Between trying to mess with the tiny little filters that go in the little hole and then trying to get underneath and remove the other filter it's just too much. The FLC tweezers do not appear to allow me to pull them out. So by default I will enjoy grey/grey/gold

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back