FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #7,426 of 7,931
ZOyP9aB.jpg

So my new toy just came in...

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #7,428 of 7,931
I'd love to hear impressions of SQ comparisons between the FLC8S and any of the newer models. The FR graphs that Forrest posted a while back looked awfully similar...

Anybody able to share any comparisons yet?

I'll be doing a review. They're currently burning in on my office table.. If someone has good ideas for a quick cheap measuring rig (I think I have the Dayton IMM6 on hand) I'd also be glad to take some measurements.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #7,430 of 7,931
Do the new models fit a bit better in the ear .. I mean are they comfortable?

For sure. The first thing I noticed today - the corners are rounded and are significantly more comfortable. The cable is also less springy than I remember, although I've been using the silver cable for my 8S so I don't actually remember what the stock 8S cable is like.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #7,431 of 7,931
My 8N just came in today. Been listening for an hour or two and watching the World Cup. I'm not a huge believer in burn in. Dynamic drivers, depending on material, certainly can be a bit stiff and need some time to loosen up, but it's more in the 5-10 hour range. I will also note that while I did own the 8S I sold it back in Jan/Feb in anticipation of the new models so none of my impressions come with an immediate A/B test and should not be relied upon.

Comfort: I don't notice any difference, but I'm not one who ever had problems with the 8S. I know the shape always looked funny, but it fit fine for me. The 8N certainly looks more traditionally shaped for an IEM worn over the ear, but I think the profile it takes up is similar in size just less angular, that may make a difference for some. It's still pretty light too.
Sound: Again, I don't notice any significant differences. I can't say whether the soundstage is any wider without a direct comparison, but it sounds comparable to my memories of the 8S. With a metal housing, different shape and new armatures, physics simply doesn't allow me to assume it sounds the same, but Forrest has clearly attempted to keep a similar sound. Hopefully someone that has both can eventually chime in with how there are definite improvements, even if subtle, my memory from months ago isn't going to be terribly helpful.

Just some quick untrustworthy thoughts.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #7,432 of 7,931
Just want to share some initial impressions on the 8N. My impressions are quite positive, and I want to be careful with my writing, as I don't want to start any hype given the fact that I don't have many other IEMs in the price range to compare. Just the Senn IE80S and the Simgot EN700Pro. And I prefer the 8N over both those IEMs.

First things first, the tuning system. I don't like the bass tuning filters as they are made of rubber-like material and seem quite delicate for continuous swaps. Not only they could easily wear out, but if you are not careful when swapping them, you could easily lose them given their diminutive size and bouncy nature. Especially, DON'T CHANGE THE BASS FILTERS IN A ROOM WITH CARPET FLOORING. The mid-high filters are fine as they are screwable type and are made of metal. But I guess these things are no news for people who already own the 8S.

So the sound... in its default config (Grey, Grey, Gold), 8N has a balanced, slightly warm and a slightly laid-back sound. This kind of tuning is right up my alley. But for someone preferring a neutral sound with detailed treble, the default config will come across smooth and quite laid-back. The placement of the presentation is neither forward nor backward and the stage is very spacious. Definitely wider than deep. So the lateral separation of instruments is very good while the layering is average. The note structure is quite neutral with the right amount of warmth and body. It doesn't display any strong characteristics that would swing the crowd in one direction or the other. Also it is not too neutral to a point it is boring either. A balanced sound that works with most genres and allows for prolonged listening without fatigue is what it is. Actually, for people preferring an exciting sound might find this config a touch boring.

With the DD in place for bass, you do get the nice natural decay and sub-bass rumble. Its just a touch north of neutral and is slightly warm. Actually the warmth really is from the slightly-toned-down treble than the bass itself. The mid-range is sufficiently bodied without favouring either instruments or vocals. While the mid-range is far from being soft, it lacks just a bit of dynamics. Also the upper-midrange is a bit on the smoother side. If you are someone who prefers the female vocals to soar and string instruments to have some bite, the default config may not rock your boat. While the treble is not excellently linear, it doesn't have any annoying peaks in an aim to artificially boost articulation and resolution. The treble extension is average and so is the resolution. Again, this is a $350 IEM, so you can't expect high-end level performance here.

While this IEM doesn't achieve any unparalleled feats, I really can't seem to find any negative aspect about the IEM in terms of the sound. I will test other filters and report back later. For now, I am very much satisfied.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #7,433 of 7,931
Just want to share some initial impressions on the 8N. My impressions are quite positive, and I want to be careful with my writing, as I don't want to start any hype given the fact that I don't have many other IEMs in the price range to compare. Just the Senn IE80S and the Simgot EN700Pro. And I prefer the 8N over both those IEMs.

First things first, the tuning system. I don't like the bass tuning filters as they are made of rubber-like material and seem quite delicate for continuous swaps. Not only they could easily wear out, but if you are not careful when swapping them, you could easily lose them given their diminutive size and bouncy nature. Especially, DON'T CHANGE THE BASS FILTERS IN A ROOM WITH CARPET FLOORING. The mid-high filters are fine as they are screwable type and are made of metal. But I guess these things are no news for people who already own the 8S.

So the sound... in its default config (Grey, Grey, Gold), 8N has a balanced, slightly warm and a slightly laid-back sound. This kind of tuning is right up my alley. But for someone preferring a neutral sound with detailed treble, the default config will come across smooth and quite laid-back. The placement of the presentation is neither forward nor backward and the stage is very spacious. Definitely wider than deep. So the lateral separation of instruments is very good while the layering is average. The note structure is quite neutral with the right amount of warmth and body. It doesn't display any strong characteristics that would swing the crowd in one direction or the other. Also it is not too neutral to a point it is boring either. A balanced sound that works with most genres and allows for prolonged listening without fatigue is what it is. Actually, for people preferring an exciting sound might find this config a touch boring.

With the DD in place for bass, you do get the nice natural decay and sub-bass rumble. Its just a touch north of neutral and is slightly warm. Actually the warmth really is from the slightly-toned-down treble than the bass itself. The mid-range is sufficiently bodied without favouring either instruments or vocals. While the mid-range is far from being soft, it lacks just a bit of dynamics. Also the upper-midrange is a bit on the smoother side. If you are someone who prefers the female vocals to soar and string instruments to have some bite, the default config may not rock your boat. While the treble is not excellently linear, it doesn't have any annoying peaks in an aim to artificially boost articulation and resolution. The treble extension is average and so is the resolution. Again, this is a $350 IEM, so you can't expect high-end level performance here.

While this IEM doesn't achieve any unparalleled feats, I really can't seem to find any negative aspect about the IEM in terms of the sound. I will test other filters and report back later. For now, I am very much satisfied.

Weill, I find it quite tip and insertion depth dependent, so you can play with that rather than just the filters. Personally I did quite the extensive tip rolling to find the best option for my taste. Right now I'm using the blue-core Noble tips that don't compress at the bore and due to the somewhat tighter core can easily by adjusted at a specific place on the nozzles, so I can get just the right insertion depth and seal. This way I get a clearer and rawer sound with sharper edges of the notes while still retaining natural presentation and timbre. My second favorites are the mee m6's single flanges, they give a smoother and more musical presentation that is still more focused than with the stock tips. The Noble ones are the winners for me with the extra rawness in the vocals and instruments. It is a less forgiving sound for bad recordings, but is also more realistic.

IMG_20180617_123839.jpg IMG_20180617_124201.jpg IMG_20180617_123759.jpg

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #7,434 of 7,931
I've been looking at these and the Oriveti New Primacys as replacements to the shocking Fiio F9 Pro's I just got but am sending back (I've had better low end on £20 sets! But they do have a damn sexy case :wink: ).

It would be great to get people's feedback on the two if anyone has heard both sets. Bottom end is massive for me, I mainly listen to Drum & Bass, electro soul amd a lot of sub bass heavy tracks, but also want good clarity, vocals and instrumentals.

So I'm after a really good low, smooth and buttery bottom end that you can really feel, but still have that clarity and definition of a multi driver.

These are about as high as I'd like to spend, but wpukd be great to get some feedback on the bass on these - or any other suggestions as alternatives if you have any.

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #7,435 of 7,931
Weill, I find it quite tip and insertion depth dependent, so you can play with that rather than just the filters.

Totally agree here. It's the Nr.1 biggest impact on sound in IEMs no matter the price, so you should have ALOT of different shapes to try with. And if you find a favourite doesn't mean it will work on a different IEM. All about spending those 30 mins testing different tips with your reference tracks, sorting out what does'nt work and ending up with the best canditates to compare one final time. Perhaps fiddling slightly with EQ and this this special case fiddling with filters.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #7,436 of 7,931
Totally agree here. It's the Nr.1 biggest impact on sound in IEMs no matter the price, so you should have ALOT of different shapes to try with. And if you find a favourite doesn't mean it will work on a different IEM. All about spending those 30 mins testing different tips with your reference tracks, sorting out what does'nt work and ending up with the best canditates to compare one final time. Perhaps fiddling slightly with EQ and this this special case fiddling with filters.
I completely agree! In fact, I've had pleasant surprises from tip rolling even after years of owning certain IEMs. Tips can have a bigger impact on FR than tuning filters.

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #7,437 of 7,931
lol 30 mins - more like 3 hours

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #7,439 of 7,931
I was gonna say, it's been a few days and I still can't settle on a tip.

Also of note, after messing with filters I wish I hadn't clipped my fingernails last week, lol.
Well, I settled on the tips just a few days ago, so technically I couldn't settle on the tips for two weeks. I narrowed the choice down to a handful of pairs but just when I thought I had found the perfect tips I would hear a certain song that didn't sound quite right and back to the piles of tips, which resulted in playing with tips I didn't think would work initially and then came the extra pain of fiddling with the insertion depth.

With that said, it's possible that you just don't have the right tips for you in your tip collection.

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #7,440 of 7,931
Weill, I find it quite tip and insertion depth dependent, so you can play with that rather than just the filters. Personally I did quite the extensive tip rolling to find the best option for my taste. Right now I'm using the blue-core Noble tips that don't compress at the bore and due to the somewhat tighter core can easily by adjusted at a specific place on the nozzles, so I can get just the right insertion depth and seal. This way I get a clearer and rawer sound with sharper edges of the notes while still retaining natural presentation and timbre. My second favorites are the mee m6's single flanges, they give a smoother and more musical presentation that is still more focused than with the stock tips. The Noble ones are the winners for me with the extra rawness in the vocals and instruments. It is a less forgiving sound for bad recordings, but is also more realistic.

Yes, that is the case with most IEMs. But there is a bracket within which the sound changes with tip rolling, and my impressions are based on the average of how the 8N sounds across many tips. Every IEM has its own general characteristics and there are aspects that are independent of the tips, such as; resolution, imaging precision, layering etc. Also, it is all relative. When I say 8N is smoother than the EN700Pro, then it means the 8N is generally smoother across multiple tips, compared to EN700Pro across multiple tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back