FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #7,097 of 7,931
@Flcforrestwei

Hi forrest. i sent my flc 8s to flc for repairs some time ago. Since the lunar new year is coming, how should i contact flc technology about repairs of my flc 8s? Can i just send you a private message on headfi or should i send an email to the email address you provided me with? Thanks.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #7,098 of 7,931
@Flcforrestwei

Hi forrest. i sent my flc 8s to flc for repairs some time ago. Since the lunar new year is coming, how should i contact flc technology about repairs of my flc 8s? Can i just send you a private message on headfi or should i send an email to the email address you provided me with? Thanks.
Holle, I sent an email to you two days ago, but didn ' t see you reply, we haven't got it yet, Please provide tracking no.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #7,102 of 7,931
I used the MKII in the past, and besides one of the connectors disintegrating on me after about a year of use (which Null Audio fixed even though it was a couple weeks out of warranty), I liked it. That issue is hopefully eliminated in the new version with the "copper bodied" connectors, but it's unclear to me from the website whether their TF10 connectors are also "copper bodied" (it looks like it might be the "2PIN/MMCX/A2DC" connectors only...)

In any event, FWIW, I thought the MKII was a worthwhile upgrade in sound and especially ergonomics over the stock cable I had at the time (the stiff blue one with the memory wire).

FWIW #2: I currently use the Moon Audio Black Dragon and prefer it to the MKII, in case you want to check that one out.
its crappy. broke in 3 months. microphonics was good tho. sound improvment was okay. get the silver crystal cable instead.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #7,103 of 7,931
whats the price of 8n gonna be?
where can a canadian purchase that puppy?
and does it come with silver single crystal cable as stock? or is it copper?
and if not, will there be an adapter to use the cable from the 8s? is the polarity reversed for left and right, like in the 8s?
@Flcforrestwei i have soo many questions senpai, for i have been patiently waiting for.this moment for years.
also, how significant of a upgrade is 8n from 8s l, in terms of sound quality? what aspects of the ssound are different and how?

also, my work around for the subbass rubber gasket was to use superglue to expand the diameter of the filter itself. @someonewhoaskedaboutthisafewpostsback

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #7,104 of 7,931
whats the price of 8n gonna be?
where can a canadian purchase that puppy?
and does it come with silver single crystal cable

Ordered 8n at Penon Audio for $369 with crystal copper cable, option was 2,5 balanced or 3,5 Single ended. Some hours after ordering the order was cancelled as 8n was not ready to be delivered.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #7,105 of 7,931
anbody uses rha single flange tip? have to force it onto the nozzle slightly but i find soundstage is increased and it is pretty comfy too (although sleeping with rha tips are not ok). i own spiral dots too, both are pretty good in my opinion!

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #7,106 of 7,931
Here are the FR of two tips:

I went back and tried to do a more careful measurement of the stock white vs SpinFit CP800 tips, using a common configuration of the FLC8S, which was Red/Modded Black/Gunmetal. I took four measurements with each tip, trying to re-seat the IEM carefully at the same depth in the coupler each time, and then took averages. These are diffuse-field compensated curves:

flc8s_eartips.png

Apart from a little discrepancy around 8 kHz, these are fairly consistent with those measurements I reported earlier: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flc...ressions-thread.777158/page-443#post-13726751

I agree with @Flcforrestwei that the wider-bore tips (stock FLC8S white tips) should give a better treble extension, but the picture here is a little mixed, showing higher amplitude than SpinFit CP800s around 10 kHz, but lower at around 12-13 kHz. Curiously, this trend seems to be reversed in the measurements @Flcforrestwei showed. The crucial thing is still getting that good, consistent comfortable seal. I need to spend more time listening to the FLC tips, because the treble peak around 10 kHz looks notably (audibly) different in the above measurements. I've also consistently measured a marginally elevated sub-bass with the stock FLC tips (to my ears, that's usually a good thing).

I also re-visited my measurements on the effects of the LF filter (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flc...ressions-thread.777158/page-469#post-13999835) and reproduced the measurements I made before almost exactly. I hear the differences between all three filters, but my measured differences aren't large. As @dc655321 pointed out, the differences in my measurements appear substantially small than those shown by @Flcforrestwei (@Flcforrestwei, were these actual measurements, or generic sketches designed to emphasize the trend?). Anybody else with a measurement rig out there like to take a shot at this?

I also wanted to say thanks to @dc655321 for sharing that video. I'd not seen it before. I'll link to it again in case anybody missed it. It shows the incredible feat of engineering that the FLC8S is - far beyond any other IEM, as far as tuning options are concerned:

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #7,108 of 7,931
Hi, guys.

I've been reading the thread thoroughly because i'm looking for a true upgrade from my Eph-100s, but i'm still deciding between the FLCs and the Ethymotic ER4XR.

Any advice would be really grateful.

I own both the FLC8S and the ER4XR. The ER4XR beats anything for isolation on account of its deep-insertion fit, but in every aspect of the sound I prefer the FLC8S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back