FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #7,036 of 7,931
You are right, the shape of SF tips is sharp, They can be inserted deeper, so the room of the ear channel is smaller, sound pressure of the subbass is a little higher, but channel of SF tips are longer, so frequencies around 6k to 10K Hz are higher, so it sounds brighter, but the frequency response of SF tips over 10khz( I call them as treble extension) is much lower than the stock tips.

I found my previous eartip measurements. I'm not seeing or hearing any benefits in the >10 kHz region with the stock tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flc...ressions-thread.777158/page-443#post-13726751

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #7,037 of 7,931
Here are the FR of two tips:
Eartip FR.png

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #7,038 of 7,931
Jan 25, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #7,039 of 7,931
Here are the FR of two tips:
Let me preface this by saying I have tremendous respect for you, having designed my favorite non-electrostatic IEM :)
I'm just trying to learn and understand.

Assuming this is a repeatable measurement and not just a small error from having too few sample points in your FFT...
Do you think this would even be audible? I can't see your y-axis, but I'm guessing this a ~2 dB shift over a very narrow range and almost 20 dB lower than the resonance peak. And even if it is repeatable and measureable and audible - it still looks like SpinFits are ahead from about 9-11 kHz, which is arguably more important than the 11-13 kHz region, no?

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #7,040 of 7,931
Please see the FR I just tested above, I think if you check the album "Seaside solo piano" (by
Richard Evans), compare the sound of sea wave, you can easily tell the difference of the treble extension.

I'll let others post back on that comparison. I can 100% guarantee that my own ears would not be able to hear the differences shown in that graph.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #7,041 of 7,931
Let me preface this by saying I have tremendous respect for you, having designed my favorite non-electrostatic IEM :)
I'm just trying to learn and understand.

Assuming this is a repeatable measurement and not just a small error from having too few sample points in your FFT...
Do you think this would even be audible? I can't see your y-axis, but I'm guessing this a ~2 dB shift over a very narrow range and almost 20 dB lower than the resonance peak. And even if it is repeatable and measureable and audible - it still looks like SpinFits are ahead from about 9-11 kHz, which is arguably more important than the 11-13 kHz region, no?

To me, the answer is: no. I can improve from 9~11K Hz easily, change a filter will achieve that, but it's very hard to improve the frequency response over 11 K Hz.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #7,042 of 7,931
I'll let others post back on that comparison. I can 100% guarantee that my own ears would not be able to hear the differences shown in that graph.

You may not hear it, but you can still feel it, if you hear a music with excellent treble extension with the stock tip for half an hour, let your ears gets used to the sound, then, you change to the SF tips, you'll easily feel the difference.

We always underestimating our sensation, actually our sensation is very sensitive, for example, if you keep drinking one kind of water for months, then change to another, you can easily tell the difference of the two waters.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #7,043 of 7,931
To me, the answer is: no. I can improve from 9~11K Hz easily, change a filter will achieve that, but it's very hard to improve the frequency response over 11 K Hz.

I completely agree, but don't you think most of the problem lies in the inherent mass of the balanced armatures used?
I'd imagine what we'd all like is to see that FR continuing to go out at a level (or even a gentle rise) up to 20+ kHz.
A single tiny resonance (if it's even that) in a narrow band around 12 kHz, 20 dB below the resonance peak, isn't really very significant, IMHO. Given how amazing the FLC8S were/are, I guess I was/am just expecting more than this from the FLC9 or Celeste...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back