FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #6,946 of 7,931
From my experience, balanced does absolutely nothing audibily. The changes are mostly because of the extra power the unit provides. Headroom is nice and all, but with the super-low impedance of the FLC8s, this is something which barely matters. However, the one thing I'd keep an eye on is output impedance. Both ports can have differences in OI, which in the case of the FLC8s can matter greatly. There is no real answer to what you should consider purchasing, electrical implementation is key. I had cases where the Balanced Output caused some wierd jitter and distortion. (mostly because QC was bad or using some unwise resistor/cap values to safe a couple of bucks). I use the Aune M1S, which has been my go-to player. Simple U.I., decent power for most headphones and no issues in terms of reliablity.

@Flcforrestwei what are the specs for new FLC8n, FLC9 and Celeste?
I've had the exact same experience with balanced connections. In theory, you might gain some additional channel separation too, but what I've found is my Hugo 2's single-ended output sounds (and measures) better in every regard (levels of THD+N, channel separation, noise floor, noise-floor modulation, etc.) than any balanced output device I own. Although I was a bit skeptical initially, I now believe Chord is 100% correct in this regard. If you can do it right with a single-ended connection, you don't need to go balanced.

I'm seriously second-guessing the amount of time I spent re-terminating most of my headphone cables with balanced connectors :wink:

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #6,947 of 7,931
I've had the exact same experience with balanced connections. In theory, you might gain some additional channel separation too, but what I've found is my Hugo 2's single-ended output sounds (and measures) better in every regard (levels of THD+N, channel separation, noise floor, noise-floor modulation, etc.) than any balanced output device I own. Although I was a bit skeptical initially, I now believe Chord is 100% correct in this regard. If you can do it right with a single-ended connection, you don't need to go balanced.

I'm seriously second-guessing the amount of time I spent re-terminating most of my headphone cables with balanced connectors :wink:

At least something we can agree on. :wink:

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #6,948 of 7,931
To clarify/reiterate: I couldn't actually care less about having a balanced connection. I only have the balanced version of the cable for the FLC8s because I didn't realize I could have made a choice when I purchased the set on Amazon. The listing for the earphones said that it came with a conversion connector to the normal 3.5mm, but I never actually got one because, as the seller, later, told me he was out of stock on that extra part and so he gave me a small refund - which I used to buy the Fiio L26. I'm using the Fiio L26 this very moment.

More to the point, I'm curious if there are any DACs that don't provide amplification. Basically all amplifying headphone devices say not to use any headphones that are below 16ohm (the FLC8s being 11ohms). With my very minimally amplifying USB DAC (AudioEngine D3) it absolutely blasts the audio (it doesn't have it's own volume control - it just amplifies whatever your computer's digital volume is set to) if I set it to anything over 20 of 100. Only as a secondary thought I figured if I could find one I might as well get a DAC with a balanced inut, since I have the ability to utilize the feature.

I can plug my FLCs into my audio interface, which I use for all of the audio equipment at my workstation (an M-Audio Profire 2626) and just use the mixer to set volumes properly, like I do with everything else. But, the Profire is a rackmount unit, making it only an option when sitting at this particular PC. The D3 gives me a DAC/Amplifier anywhere I go, but with the FLCs super low impedance there's simply no need for any amplification, especially considering all that usually adds is hiss to the line. Plus, I have to use a headphone extension cord to connect the FLCs to the Profire since, again, it's a rackmount unit.

Lastly, I do not want nor need a portable player. I just want something that I can sit beside my Koss E/90 amplifier on my desk to go from PC to DAC to FLC8s.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #6,950 of 7,931
u can unstretch the pinholes withba decent fine needle, perhaps one for sewing.
thats what i did after my crappy null audioncable broke in 3 different joints

and, get ultrafine needles that they use to take ur blood for checking sugar.. u can get em off of a drugstore.. and superglue.
idea is to get the needle dipped into the superglue and then into the transparent ulf filter's hole to make it small (which i hate anyway)
end result? sub bass thats intermediate to the black and red filter

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #6,954 of 7,931
Loving the flc8s. Just hoping they will make an all BA iem in the future.
I've never tried a hybrid yet. I'm waiting for the 8n to release before deciding between all the new hybrid IEMs from different brands coming out this month. But I like the idea of a dynamic driver handling the bass. BA drivers I've tried just never had enough rumble and warmth in the low end for me. They are fantastic for mids and highs though.

I know the LZ Big Dipper is a 7BA driver tunable IEM. Could be interesting to look at while you wait for some info on here.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #6,955 of 7,931
I've never tried a hybrid yet. I'm waiting for the 8n to release before deciding between all the new hybrid IEMs from different brands coming out this month. But I like the idea of a dynamic driver handling the bass. BA drivers I've tried just never had enough rumble and warmth in the low end for me. They are fantastic for mids and highs though.

I know the LZ Big Dipper is a 7BA driver tunable IEM. Could be interesting to look at while you wait for some info on here.
Well, I'm a mid/treble guy. So a quality bass would just be fine for me.

Read the review of brooko about the big dipper, but I'm waiting if it will be included on crinacle's ranking.

Eyeing now for Noble Sage.

I'm already happy with the 8s. But if they will make an all BA iem with a fix sound signature, no more tuning, then I might get one. And also hoping the pins they will use a standard 2 pin 0.78mm.

Having a problem with the 8s. Want to change into a standard pin size, but I'm afraid it might break the female.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #6,956 of 7,931
Well, I'm a mid/treble guy. So a quality bass would just be fine for me.

Read the review of brooko about the big dipper, but I'm waiting if it will be included on crinacle's ranking.

Eyeing now for Noble Sage.

I'm already happy with the 8s. But if they will make an all BA iem with a fix sound signature, no more tuning, then I might get one. And also hoping the pins they will use a standard 2 pin 0.78mm.

Having a problem with the 8s. Want to change into a standard pin size, but I'm afraid it might break the female.

I think crinacle's ranking is a decent place to start. But for example, I have the ER4XR (which is pretty high on the list, especially considering price), and though they are amazing, they just aren't my thing.

Forrest confirmed that the new models will have 0.78mm pins. And the FLC9 will have fixed bass (nozzle will probably still be tunable).

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #6,957 of 7,931

I just got the new FIIO FH1 ... Really is petty good ... Amazon has them on sale for $75 ...

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #6,959 of 7,931
The FLC8n seems like it's going to be a slight upgrade in material types and drivers from the 8s. So it'll probably stay hybrid.

Not much info on the 9 yet though.

Not much info yet on anything tbh.

FLC8n's housing is made of metal, the connetor pins are 0.78, the armature is different, sound stage is bigger than FLC8s, the sound is more "stereo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back