FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #6,302 of 7,931
Has anyone seen a big difference in SQ by adding a DAP like the fiio x3? Currently running my 8s off an iPhone 6s+ and they sound great and get plenty loud. Is a DAP really worth it?

I noticed a significant bump in performance when using my Oppo HA-2 over phone or PC jack.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #6,305 of 7,931
Its gonna depend on the DAP, though. I'll take my HTC M9 over my M1 if I'm using the FLC8s (and not my Mojo for whatever reason), which is not the case for every IEM I have, but e.g if I had bought the M1 just as an upgrade to the phone, that would not have been a great investment.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #6,306 of 7,931
Its gonna depend on the DAP, though. I'll take my HTC M9 over my M1 if I'm using the FLC8s (and not my Mojo for whatever reason), which is not the case for every IEM I have, but e.g if I had bought the M1 just as an upgrade to the phone, that would not have been a great investment.

Oh yeah, of course. Something like an HTC where they focus on high SQ could beat an entry level DAP fo sho. But a good mid-tier DAP beats the iOS and Android phones I've heard to date. Can we agree on that, or do you think your HTC phone can take on DAPs in the $3-600 range?

BTW, I've always said M1 has just good enough sound to be used standalone. It's real strength is in its flexibility. And it certainly sounds better than my OnePlus 3,lol :p

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #6,308 of 7,931
Oh yeah, of course. Something like an HTC where they focus on high SQ could beat an entry level DAP fo sho. But a good mid-tier DAP beats the iOS and Android phones I've heard to date. Can we agree on that, or do you think your HTC phone can take on DAPs in the $3-600 range?

BTW, I've always said M1 has just good enough sound to be used standalone. It's real strength is in its flexibility. And it certainly sounds better than my OnePlus 3,lol
tongue.gif

Nah, its about on par with the M1. M1 has clearer bass, for instance, and makes a good pair with the sets I often exercise with. Really good with the TFZ series (of which I only have the 1s but it seems that they're all tuned similarly, I should try a 'better' model at some point). But with the FLC8s, I don't like the treble presentation, sounds a little stronger with the phone. I would imagine - and hope - that DAPs worth their price in the $300+ range would provide more noticeable improvement across the board.

But, the DAP bjj51 mentioned was the FIIO X3, and while it should be a step above their entry level offerings, it is still only $200. I've not heard it myself, so I can't say it won't sound better - I just prefer caution in such a range where the improvement may not live up to what someone might think $200 is worth (which also may not be what you or I think $200 should be worth in this mad hi-fi world).

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #6,310 of 7,931
Just wanted to thank the users in this thread for the tuning combos. Just switched from the ever popular red/grey/gold to grey/clear/gun and I'm absolutely loving it. So balanced with a sparkle in the highs without being harsh at all, I don't know how they do it!

Are there any other magic combos out there? I never would have thought to try grey/clear/gun but I'm glad I did.

On a side note I got the spinfit meds and couldn't get a good seal in my right ear so I'm back to the stock meds. Made me appreciate how good the stock tips are! Cheers to everyone in here, loving these iems!

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #6,311 of 7,931
Just wanted to thank the users in this thread for the tuning combos. Just switched from the ever popular red/grey/gold to grey/clear/gun and I'm absolutely loving it. So balanced with a sparkle in the highs without being harsh at all, I don't know how they do it!

Are there any other magic combos out there? I never would have thought to try grey/clear/gun but I'm glad I did.

On a side note I got the spinfit meds and couldn't get a good seal in my right ear so I'm back to the stock meds. Made me appreciate how good the stock tips are! Cheers to everyone in here, loving these iems!

Grey/Red/Gunmetal is my favorite combo for bass. Wonderful sound, too!

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6,312 of 7,931
My two cents.  Find a combination that works for you in general and then one by try changes.  E.g. maybe go to black from clear on the mids.   A simplified version of the scientific method.

I tend to live in red or grey for ULF; grey for mid; and gunmetal blue or gold for MF/HF.  

Right now I am digging grey - grey - gunmetal which I believe is considered something of a reference tuning.  I had been in red - gray - gold for quite a while.

Tips do make a difference in how everything is perceived.   With spiral dots size large, bass is strong for me.  So I had to back off from the red.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #6,314 of 7,931
  Just wanted to check again if anyone could help me to find a vendor who sells the stock tips.

Also, replacement rubber gasket for the ULF filter. I love the FLC8s, but man it is impossible to get ahold of anyone to get some replacement parts.

LMUE doesn't offer it, I e-mailed forrest without any reply back, and I just PM'd him here, hopefully I get a reply.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #6,315 of 7,931

Also, replacement rubber gasket for the ULF filter. I love the FLC8s, but man it is impossible to get ahold of anyone to get some replacement parts.

LMUE doesn't offer it, I e-mailed forrest without any reply back, and I just PM'd him here, hopefully I get a reply.

I can't remember if you bought them used or new.  In general, your original vendor is the best place to go for support.   Surprised LMUE can't help; that is where Forrest sends most people.  Forrest should know where to go or can arrange for a vendor to get in the parts you need.

Perhaps Musictek in New Jersey can help.  They sell these now.   That vendor also sells some great product lines including Cayin.   No, I am not affiliated with them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back