FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,822 of 7,931
  I'm looking for something to replace my mojo with somewhat cheaper and truly portable gear to use plugged into my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with non-battery powered devices like DragonFly Red that are small and relatively cheap with great performance? I'm just planning to use it at home with my laptop only.

Ive been on the inexpensive FiiO X3ii for a while now, excellent specs, solid build and pairs great with the flcs. I use it on the road, on planes, connected to mac (= plug and play. Have not tried windows but another poster said the FiiO has presigned drivers so all good). Also, FiiO fixes things in fw updates, answer questions, support is good. Interface can be a bit muggy sometimes and you cant see the screen when the sun is out. Either way, definitely recommend you check out their line-up. Good luck. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #5,823 of 7,931
How do these compare to full size cans soundwize? Like say the Denon D600?

Please forgive my ignorance, I have virtually no experience with IEMs and was looking at these or the Fidue A83

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5,824 of 7,931

Please forgive my ignorance, I have virtually no experience with IEMs and was looking at these or the Fidue A83

It's almost impossible to compare IEM's to full size cans, it's a totally different experience. The 8S would be a good place to start if you haven't used IEM's, due to its tunability, assuming you are OK with its not inexpensive price.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #5,825 of 7,931

Ive been on the inexpensive FiiO X3ii for a while now, excellent specs, solid build and pairs great with the flcs. I use it on the road, on planes, connected to mac (= plug and play. Have not tried windows but another poster said the FiiO has presigned drivers so all good). Also, FiiO fixes things in fw updates, answer questions, support is good. Interface can be a bit muggy sometimes and you cant see the screen when the sun is out. Either way, definitely recommend you check out their line-up. Good luck. 

There is a customized firmware from Zweistein for both firmware 1.4 and 2.0 on the X3 II that works better in sunlight.  I think more people are realizing how great his work is; for a period of time he was an "unsung hero" in my view.

For daylight viewing I would suggest the Shanlings, however.  Much easier to see in daylight.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #5,826 of 7,931

I have tried putting full sized cans into my ears but they won't fit.  (Ducks)

These units are very light and comfortable.  Some of the most comfortable IEMs that I am aware of.  Plus customizing them can become a hobby of its own.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #5,827 of 7,931

There is a customized firmware from Zweistein for both firmware 1.4 and 2.0 on the X3 II that works better in sunlight.  I think more people are realizing how great his work is; for a period of time he was an "unsung hero" in my view.

For daylight viewing I would suggest the Shanlings, however.  Much easier to see in daylight.

Had no idea custom fw existed, thanks for the tip!

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #5,831 of 7,931
Using these with an AudioQuest Dragonfly Black and Spotify Premium.

Wow.  These are really incredible.  I'm currently on the red/grey/gold config, and these just sing.  The bass extension is phenomenal, I really love how low these hit and how punchy they are while retaining the overall minute detail of my old Etymotics.  They also extend way up in the treble and can give really sharp highs if called for.  I bought these looking for something portable that would match the quality of my Fidelio X2s, but they ended up being much better.

It's really obvious that these are "sound-first" IEMs though.  The plastic body kind of freaks me out at this price point, and the comfort with the stock tips caused me physical pain.  I have ears that are a tad on the small side, so I got the MEE M6 tip variety pack and a pack of SpinFits in small.  There's no contest, the SpinFits are significantly more comfortable to me and provide similar isolation even to the MEE triple flange tips.

Once the comfort issue was fixed I have to say these are stellar.  I believe Hybrids may be the future.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #5,833 of 7,931
I got a geek out v2+ infinity (the latest revision with aluminium casing) on the way, excited to see how it matches. It has a balanced output also, so maybe I can get myself a balanced cable to try it out. 

I haven't heard FLC8s yet, but as a general observation for v2+inf - strongly recommend reterminating or cable-swap to balanced if your budget allows, as the single-end output sounds almost like a secondary-feature in comparison IMO (I am not of the opinion that single-end necessarily inferior to balanced, but for this particular device that seems to be the case), and if you use any difficult to drive headphones the single end has only half the 1000mW max output.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #5,834 of 7,931
I haven't heard FLC8s yet, but as a general observation for v2+inf - strongly recommend reterminating or cable-swap to balanced if your budget allows, as the single-end output sounds almost like a secondary-feature in comparison IMO (I am not of the opinion that single-end necessarily inferior to balanced, but for this particular device that seems to be the case), and if you use any difficult to drive headphones the single end has only half the 1000mW max output.

I've heard the newest revision with the latest firmware allows better SE output, but I'll have to see. I'll probably get a new cable with the 2.5mm balanced termination. I keep hearing how the v2+ inf. is more analogue sounding than mojo, but I have no idea how that sounds like hehe.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #5,835 of 7,931
Changed tip size of the spinfits from xsml to sml and I've just realized how much proper seal can make a difference to subbass quantity, treble quantity and the overall feel of immersion that I now have to use clear/clear/grey and I think it's the best performance I'm hearing since I've owned the flc8s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back