FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #5,809 of 7,931
Well I have been having fun trying out various combinations.   

Just now I went for Brooko's combo mentioned in his review; Clear -  None  -   None.

I had been in red - gray - gold.  

So far this does seem to be a somewhat universal combination; it sounds pretty good with classical, jazz and rock.  

It sort of reminds me of the combinations that I had been using that brought in the green filter.

For some reason this particular combination does not seem to get much mention.

Follow up Edit:  Decided that the clear - none - none was a bit too much treble for me.

Went back to red - grey -gunmetal.   

And yes, another ULF went flying away...this time the spare clear one.   I have emails out to LMUE asking to purchase replacements.  So far no response to two different emails.  Hopefully the third will be the charm.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #5,810 of 7,931
I'm looking for something to replace my mojo with somewhat cheaper and truly portable gear to use plugged into my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with non-battery powered devices like DragonFly Red that are small and relatively cheap with great performance? I'm just planning to use it at home with my laptop only.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #5,811 of 7,931
I'm looking for something to replace my mojo with somewhat cheaper and truly portable gear to use plugged into my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with non-battery powered devices like DragonFly Red that are small and relatively cheap with great performance? I'm just planning to use it at home with my laptop only.

Love the dragonfly red...Use it much more than the mojo due to its unobtrusive and lightweight footprint. Some say there is a sound different...Others feel not so much ..I've not done an a,b comparison.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #5,812 of 7,931
Love the dragonfly red...Use it much more than the mojo due to its unobtrusive and lightweight footprint. Some say there is a sound different...Others it so much ..I've not done an a,b comparison.

Also found geekout v2a, didn't know about until an hour ago. Really had me intrigued, but one thing what puts me off is that there is no physical volume control on these. Do you control the volume like the windows one on screen?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #5,814 of 7,931

Hmmmm......seems to me that a FIIO X3II or Shanling M1 or M2 would do the job nicely and give you some flexbility.  Yes, they are battery powered.  But all need no drivers with a mac and have signed drivers for Windows.

Have heard good things about the dragonfly.  Computer Audiophile speaks highly of them if I recall. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #5,815 of 7,931

Love the dragonfly red...Use it much more than the mojo due to its unobtrusive and lightweight footprint. Some say there is a sound different...Others it so much ..I've not done an a,b comparison.

Also found geekout v2a, didn't know about until an hour ago. Really had me intrigued, but one thing what puts me off is that there is no physical volume control on these. Do you control the volume like the windows one on screen?

I would've recommended the Geek Out DACs from LH Labs as well - I've got their discontinued IEM 100 DAC and can definitely recommend it. I wouldn't see why their newer gear should be any inferior in terms of sound quality and measurements.

I can only speak for the IEM 100 here, but yes, controlling the volume through the Windows volume slider is possible, however very imprecise (the increment steps are way too large with the Windows tool and listening at low volume levels is impossible with it as well). The "Light Harmonic Control Panel" software is the best solution for this job because it allows for fine adjustment steps (of course the drawback is that it is more inconvenient to use that software each time the volume should be changed).

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #5,818 of 7,931
Is there any way to check if my FLC 8s is faulty? Am abit of paranoid. Thank you.

Well, whats the issue with your pair?......not sounding at all?both sides or one side has no sound? Is there a sound cut when you touch the ear-pieces or the jack?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back