FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 18, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #3,842 of 7,931
Okay, so I've decided that I've got to have a new cable.

-Is the FLC silver upgrade cable available on fulfilled-by-amazon or anywhere in the US, or do I have to ship from LMUR store directly in SG?  It's not on LMUR Amazon USA store front.  If shipping directly from SG to USA, how long does it take?  Is the customs clearance process onerous?

-Alternatively, what third-party cables are recommended?  I'd be interested in something about 12" longer, better build quality (especially the cinch), and less microphonics.  I'm not sophisticated enough to be able to discern audio quality difference with cables, I don't think.

Thanks, and I'm still blown away by these headphones.

May 18, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #3,843 of 7,931

-Is the FLC silver upgrade cable available on fulfilled-by-amazon or anywhere in the US, or do I have to ship from LMUR store directly in SG?  It's not on LMUR Amazon USA store front.  If shipping directly from SG to USA, how long does it take?  Is the customs clearance process onerous?

-Alternatively, what third-party cables are recommended?  I'd be interested in something about 12" longer, better build quality (especially the cinch), and less microphonics.  I'm not sophisticated enough to be able to discern audio quality difference with cables, I don't think.

red grey gold?

May 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #3,844 of 7,931
Sorry, I meant to post my opinions on red grey gold earlier and forgot.

I went back to grey grey gold.  Red was just too much for me, outside of some pop and EDM type songs.  Reminds me of M50X a bit, which I love for that type music but not much for anything else. I don't find the sub-bass on grey grey gold to be anemic at all really, even for hip-hop (I mainly only listen to 80s/90s hip-hop though which may be different).

I felt like red grey gold downplayed the mids a little bit which is what I love so much about this headphone.

It's good to have the option whenever I want to go on an EDM binge though.  I don't find changing out the filters (the sub bass at least) to be that onerous really.

One thing is for sure, the gold nozzle is the star of the show.  I'm listening to leonard cohen right now and it's really amazing.

I'm also using comply tips, so not sure if that colors the sound at all.

May 18, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3,845 of 7,931
  Sorry, I meant to post my opinions on red grey gold earlier and forgot.

I went back to grey grey gold.  Red was just too much for me, outside of some pop and EDM type songs.  Reminds me of M50X a bit, which I love for that type music but not much for anything else. I don't find the sub-bass on grey grey gold to be anemic at all really, even for hip-hop (I mainly only listen to 80s/90s hip-hop though which may be different).

I felt like red grey gold downplayed the mids a little bit which is what I love so much about this headphone.

It's good to have the option whenever I want to go on an EDM binge though.  I don't find changing out the filters (the sub bass at least) to be that onerous really.

One thing is for sure, the gold nozzle is the star of the show.  I'm listening to leonard cohen right now and it's really amazing.

I'm also using comply tips, so not sure if that colors the sound at all.

i get what you mean. personally i dont use comply bc it tames the treble too much.

May 18, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,846 of 7,931
Does flc 8s need an amp when playing thru phone?

My iPhone 6 can drive it well and loud enough. And there really isn't all that much difference between portable amps and DAPs to the decent sounding phones - I haven't felt the need to use portable amps in a long time. YMMV

May 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #3,847 of 7,931

My iPhone 6 can drive it well and loud enough. And there really isn't all that much difference between portable amps and DAPs to the decent sounding phones - I haven't felt the need to use portable amps in a long time. YMMV

When they start using DACs like ESS SABRE 9018 and up on smartphones, difference is indeed marginal even to $1000 DAPs. Chord Mojo makes a more significant difference though.

May 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #3,848 of 7,931

I can easily believe that. I received mine today and have been pretty impressed with the sound straight out of my smartphone. I was thinking of picking up a cheap DAP, but for these I doubt it'll make a great deal of difference.

May 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,849 of 7,931

I couldn't find the Crystal Silver cable anywhere but on LMUE's site. I ordered through them along with some extra filters and Crystal tips. It took about 4 days to receive via DHL. I did have to pay duties but it was only about $12 CDN if I recall. The cable is excellent, imo. I couldn't be happier with LMUE's quality of service.

The only other cable that I've read about being compatible with FLC8S is Null Audio Arete. It has recieved good reviews from users here. I ordered one from their site but have not received yet, as I chose the "slow boat" option for shipping.

May 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,850 of 7,931

When they start using DACs like ESS SABRE 9018 and up on smartphones, difference is indeed marginal even to $1000 DAPs. Chord Mojo makes a more significant difference though.

If there are 800 Apple engineers working on their phone cameras, there has to be a sizable number whose sole purpose is to work on the DAC and built in amp too. Given that they have so many resources vs the much much smaller DAP design teams, it is no wonder that their implementations rival dedicated DAPs - with such small footprints and highly efficient power usage to boot. 

Together with my on the go satisfaction with just the phone output is also my disdain at having to carry around (awkwardly with the CCK and usb cable) and worry about keeping a portable dac/amp charged. The Mojo for me still doesn't justify stuffing my pants - not that I'm putting it down in any way. It's just that for portable use, these days I'm all about convenience. 

I can easily believe that. I received mine today and have been pretty impressed with the sound straight out of my smartphone. I was thinking of picking up a cheap DAP, but for these I doubt it'll make a great deal of difference.

I recently had a DX80 on loan, which is an excellent SQ DAP with a sad UI. A-B-ing my phone and it, the phone was actually the more engaging of the two. And that is a $350 DAP that I would not call cheap, despite the $1-2K DAPs out there.

The other thing of course is that if you want to stream with Tidal lossless or any other streaming service - compatible android DAPs start at $700. I've only heard the $1000 Sony ZX2 in this category and that didn't impress me all that much either, with only marginal improvements in SQ. It was more of a side-grade than an upgrade.

On the flip side, if you absolutely must listen to hi-res audio (DSD, 24bit/192khz, etc), phones aren't there yet and only DAPs will fill that gap.

May 18, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #3,851 of 7,931
If there are 800 Apple engineers working on their phone cameras, there has to be a sizable number whose sole purpose is to work on the DAC and built in amp too. Given that they have so many resources vs the much much smaller DAP design teams, it is no wonder that their implementations rival dedicated DAPs - with such small footprints and highly efficient power usage to boot. 

Together with my on the go satisfaction with just the phone output is also my disdain at having to carry around (awkwardly with the CCK and usb cable) and worry about keeping a portable dac/amp charged. The Mojo for me still doesn't justify stuffing my pants - not that I'm putting it down in any way. It's just that for portable use, these days I'm all about convenience. 

I recently had a DX80 on loan, which is an excellent SQ DAP with a sad UI. A-B-ing my phone and it, the phone was actually the more engaging of the two. And that is a $350 DAP that I would not call cheap, despite the $1-2K DAPs out there.

The other thing of course is that if you want to stream with Tidal lossless or any other streaming service - compatible android DAPs start at $700. I've only heard the $1000 Sony ZX2 in this category and that didn't impress me all that much either, with only marginal improvements in SQ. It was more of a side-grade than an upgrade.

On the flip side, if you absolutely must listen to hi-res audio (DSD, 24bit/192khz, etc), phones aren't there yet and only DAPs will fill that gap.

I think it depends on the earphone in question and you can usually tell pretty soon after plugging them in whether your phone is up to the task. The FLC8S sound excellent out of my Galaxy S5 and for on the go I'm certain any improvements to SQ would be minimal if I were to pair them with an expensive DAP.

That's not the case for some of the earphones I own/have owned though. The Rhapsodio Galaxy sounded abysmal out of my phone. My multi driver, ultra sensitive Empire Ears Athena sound okay but definitely nowhere near as good as they can.

Hi-res audio is not something I attach a lot of importance to but even there smartphones are making inroads.

May 18, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3,852 of 7,931
I couldn't find the Crystal Silver cable anywhere but on LMUE's site. I ordered through them along with some extra filters and Crystal tips. It took about 4 days to receive via DHL. I did have to pay duties but it was only about $12 CDN if I recall. The cable is excellent, imo. I couldn't be happier with LMUE's quality of service.

The only other cable that I've read about being compatible with FLC8S is Null Audio Arete. It has recieved good reviews from users here. I ordered one from their site but have not received yet, as I chose the "slow boat" option for shipping.

Here's the link for the silver crystal cable
http://www.lendmeurears.com/flc8s-single-crystal-silver-upgrade-cable-balanced/

May 18, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3,855 of 7,931

Depends is you like Sabre sound. I'm finding I'm not much of a fan. Prefer AKM DAC sound.

Anyone have a dunu 2002 here? How is it compared to flc 8s?

I've got both and can comment further if HiFiChris didn't adequately answer your question about DN2002 sound and ergonomics vs. FLC8S. Just PM me.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back