FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 6, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #7,336 of 7,931
Anybody with FLC 8/8s has actually tried 8n to see how much of an upgrade it is/may be over the original, and where the differences are? I find myself going back to the Penon page with the (obvious, since we're on head-fi :) ) temptation to buy, but I still enjoy my original 8 quite a bit... the .78mm pins might justify a buy by themselves, at least in part, as they open up an easier use of different cables (like a 4.4mm balanced termination for my sony ZX300), but I'd really be interested in finding some additional "sonic" reasons to go on.

May 6, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #7,337 of 7,931
I have listened to the 8s at a shop but it was like 1 month ago. From what I remember it's very similar to the 8n. From what I read 8n is supposed to have better separation and layering. I don't remember enough the 8s to compare but it is definitely true that the Soundstage and separation is really good on 8n.

If i have time maybe I'll go back to a shop try 8s and compare for you guys. Otherwise a big plus for me was buying the 8n with a balanced cable directly included

May 6, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #7,338 of 7,931
@DidouPower I did not originally ask you directly your opinion, because I did read that you had no opportunity to do an A/B comparison, and I also thought that your time with the FLC 8s was limited, and was probably also some time before, so I thought that your input on this might be relatively limited as well. It most definitely was not intended as a slight :) ... if you should have the time to go to the shop again and do an A/B comparison, especially once your 8n is fully burned in, that would be really great, and something that I, at least, would really appreciate (and probably some other people in the same position as me)!!! I love the 8/8s, and having some more idea on how much the 8n may be an improvement would really help in deciding on whether to get them or pass

And I can see how, for you, also getting a balanced cable thrown in the mix would definitely help in deciding. For me it's a litlle bit different, as FLC does not offer a 4.4mm cable (last I saw, at least), though having standard .78mm pins should open up aftermarket cable use, at least, which is definitely a plus.

May 6, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #7,339 of 7,931
I received the flc8n 3 days ago. I'll post some pictures soon. So far I am very pleased with the sound (which isn't a surprise since I tried Flc8s in a shop before purchasing 8n). Right now I am using red clear gunmetal combination which gives me good clarity in mids and highs and retains some punch in the bass with the red.

My only concern right now is the eartips. I'd like to find some good ones that are comfortable for long term use because right now the stock ones hurt me a bit after 30 mins of listening.

Could you provide some photos of the earphones here? Does the filters look the same like in 8S model?
Thank you.

May 7, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #7,341 of 7,931
Hi,

So I finally tried out the red ULF filter, and I have to say I really love the low end rumble. However, the lack of the vent hole due to the complete seal from the red filter now causes significant driver flex. The DD pops whenever I'm trying to put my FLCs on, and whenever I adjust them every 10 minutes or so.

Should I be worried about damaging the driver, or am I just being paranoid?

May 7, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #7,343 of 7,931
Nothing to be concerned about.
Many dynamic driver iems with significantly restricted airflow will show driver flex: it's normal.
Good to know! It's just a bit wierd hearing popping noises on a $300 IEM when my cheaper RHA doesn't.

May 8, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #7,345 of 7,931
So here are the pictures of the FLC8n as i received it. These are quick pictures i didn't bother to make beautiful ones it's just to show you guys what to expect in the package. The filters are the same as the ones used by flc8s if i'm not mistaken, so are the ear tips (black and transparent ones). I think the only thing that changes are actually the IEMs and maybe the cable too (i don't remember how the flc8s cable was when i tested it at the shop).

20180503_085925_HDR.jpg 20180503_133210_HDR.jpg 20180503_133238_HDR.jpg 20180503_133355_HDR.jpg 20180503_085759_HDR.jpg 20180508_231734_HDR.jpg 20180508_231742_HDR.jpg

May 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #7,346 of 7,931
The cable is probably same quality, but is terminated differently... should be 0.78mm pins, while FLC8/8s should be 0.74mm, if I remember correctly (and one can try using the 0.75mm after market cables, while the 0.78mm are way more widespread). Looks great, grats :) :thumbsup:

May 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #7,347 of 7,931
I really like the shape of these 8n.

May 8, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #7,348 of 7,931
If you guys want any pictures to confirm a detail such as pin cable or other things don't hesitate to ask.
Anyway i'm really happy with my FLC8ns. After some testing i am settled on grey grey grey and transparent ear tips (i'm currently waiting for spinfits that i ordered on taobao because none of the stock tips are really comfortable to my ears).

May 8, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #7,349 of 7,931
Depending on your ears (of course), you might want to give a try to the JVC Spiral Dots... the Spinfits are not good for my ears for instance (though several people are quite happy with them). The Spiral Dots are my go-to eartip for almost all earphones.

May 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #7,350 of 7,931
Depending on your ears (of course), you might want to give a try to the JVC Spiral Dots... the Spinfits are not good for my ears for instance (though several people are quite happy with them). The Spiral Dots are my go-to eartip for almost all earphones.
yeah thats what i saw on this thread but they were not available on taobao at my size and i was lazy to wait them for 3 weeks from japan. So i just got spinfits and i'll invest later in spiral dots if spinfits don't do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back