FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #5,073 of 7,931

Been rocking the FLC8 recently. I was seriously considering the FLC8 Custom but since the Celeste will be out soon, I thought I'll make do with a used FLC8 for the moment and decide if I'll upgrade to Celeste customs when it's out. Cable is the Vitnesse Copper 8 braid from Null Studio.

I'm also have the FLC silver cable but I'll like to reterminate it into 2.5mm balanced. Can Forrest or someone else confirmed for me: Are the silver wires Litz or just normal silver wires? I have not worked with Litz before so the enamel coating on Litz wires concern me. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #5,074 of 7,931

Been rocking the FLC8 recently. I was seriously considering the FLC8 Custom but since the Celeste will be out soon, I thought I'll make do with a used FLC8 for the moment and decide if I'll upgrade to Celeste customs when it's out. Cable is the Vitnesse Copper 8 braid from Null Studio.

I'm also have the FLC silver cable but I'll like to reterminate it into 2.5mm balanced. Can Forrest or someone else confirmed for me: Are the silver wires Litz or just normal silver wires? I have not worked with Litz before so the enamel coating on Litz wires concern me. 
just curious on why the enamel coating concerns u?

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #5,075 of 7,931
   Are the silver wires Litz or just normal silver wires? I have not worked with Litz before so the enamel coating on Litz wires concern me. 

Some cable you might need to burn off the enamel coating before apply solder on it, Why some you could just apply solder and it is good to go. Also use the multi meter to test whether does it works or not. Are you re terminating it yourself? 

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5,077 of 7,931
  Is there any way to get a 2 pin that works with ASG,SHURE etc to work with these? They seem right width but too fat. Anyone sand or widen the FLC8 2 pin bores?

I haven't tried it myself, but there are some people in Germany who bought UE Pro cables for their Triple.Fi 10 IEMs (that have the same socket/pin diameter as the FLC8s) and sanded them down to properly fit into the sockets.

@Flcforrestwei

By the way, the Triple.Fi 10 had inverted polarity on the left in-ear's socket, so using an aftermarket cable without the Triple.Fi 10 termination required to insert the left earpiece's cable turned by 180° to get the correct phase.
Does the FLC8s also have inverted phase on the left socket?

349x187px-b05d1ea2_UEUE.jpeg

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #5,078 of 7,931
just curious on why the enamel coating concerns u?

Some cable you might need to burn off the enamel coating before apply solder on it, Why some you could just apply solder and it is good to go. Also use the multi meter to test whether does it works or not. Are you re terminating it yourself? 

As whaleshark12 correctly mentioned, with the enamel coating present, I'll need to burn off the enamel coating with solder, before I can apply solder to it and go. Normally, people have a solder pot to properly burn it off, but some of my buddies suggested creating a big solder blob on the soldering iron, and using that to burn off the enamel.

Either way, it's another step where I might screw things up, so just want to check before I attempt anything.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #5,079 of 7,931

@Flcforrestwei

By the way, the Triple.Fi 10 had inverted polarity on the left in-ear's socket, so using an aftermarket cable without the Triple.Fi 10 termination required to insert the left earpiece's cable turned by 180° to get the correct phase.
Does the FLC8s also have inverted phase on the left socket?

349x187px-b05d1ea2_UEUE.jpeg

Yes, termination is exactly the same as the picture above. :)

As whaleshark12 correctly mentioned, with the enamel coating present, I'll need to burn off the enamel coating with solder, before I can apply solder to it and go. Normally, people have a solder pot to properly burn it off, but some of my buddies suggested creating a big solder blob on the soldering iron, and using that to burn off the enamel.

Either way, it's another step where I might screw things up, so just want to check before I attempt anything.

Yes it can too Xuan. But depends on the cable as well. Alo Litz cable is one of the hardest to work with due to the enamel and "cotton" in the cable is too much. So what I do is burn it a several time and use sand paper to sand it. Till I get a signal on the multimeter.

On some cable, you can just apply solder blob on it and make sure it sticks and test it on the multimeter. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,080 of 7,931
2 quick questions please:

1/if i equalize i like a slight smile in my curve, more of a balanced tone
...so while  not flat it's  also not a U shape or V shape.
what would one call it? a relaxed V?

2/anyone ever try custom eartips for the FLC 8s?
i know these impressions and tips can cost about $170 or so....
http://www.vancouvercustomearplugs.com/

asking as I'm having issues finding a good fit with stock tips

...but on the other hand i also know that there are so many interesting
iems coming out (the audeze i-sine, celeste etc)
that spending $170 on custom tips might
also be a bit of a waste should i wish to experiment.

...also what is the diff beween the custom FLC 8S from lend me your ears vs
just taking them to your local audioologist to make earphone impressions
and thus saving the $500? (sure the custom FLC 8S look nicer...but am i missing some info?)

lastly, will be interesting to see how the new celeste stack up against the competition.
http://headfonics.com/category/iem-earphones/hybrid/

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #5,083 of 7,931
  2 quick questions please:

1/if i equalize i like a slight smile in my curve, more of a balanced tone
...so while  not flat it's  also not a U shape or V shape.
what would one call it? a relaxed V?

2/anyone ever try custom eartips for the FLC 8s?
i know these impressions and tips can cost about $170 or so....
http://www.vancouvercustomearplugs.com/

asking as I'm having issues finding a good fit with stock tips

...but on the other hand i also know that there are so many interesting
iems coming out (the audeze i-sine, celeste etc)
that spending $170 on custom tips might
also be a bit of a waste should i wish to experiment.

...also what is the diff beween the custom FLC 8S from lend me your ears vs
just taking them to your local audioologist to make earphone impressions
and thus saving the $500? (sure the custom FLC 8S look nicer...but am i missing some info?)

lastly, will be interesting to see how the new celeste stack up against the competition.
http://headfonics.com/category/iem-earphones/hybrid/

I think you're confusing something here. The earphone impressions that you get from your local audiologist is only a mould of your ear and that is normally used to make customs. Your local audiologist WILL NOT be able to turn any universal earphones, not to mention FLC8S with all of its tuneable goodness, into a pair of customs.

In this case, the FLC8S is more complex than a normal universal, so I think the only way to get a custom pair of it is to get the FLC8C, rather than looking for someone to turn the FLC8S into a custom.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #5,084 of 7,931
I think you're confusing something here. The earphone impressions that you get from your local audiologist is only a mould of your ear and that is normally used to make customs. Your local audiologist WILL NOT be able to turn any universal earphones, not to mention FLC8S with all of its tuneable goodness, into a pair of customs.

In this case, the FLC8S is more complex than a normal universal, so I think the only way to get a custom pair of it is to get the FLC8C, rather than looking for someone to turn the FLC8S into a custom.
yes I was confused...duh on my part...but yes I remember it all now how the impressions work...can't believe I forgot that...thanks for kindly clarifying

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #5,085 of 7,931
What is up with the price increase on LMUE for FLC8S?  IS that due to the exchange rate or did the price actually go up by like $125?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back