FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 12, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #3,647 of 7,931
  I don't think the bass hole can cause the isolation issue, because these is a filter on the plug, another filter on the speaker, and then a diaphragm in the speaker, the three layers can isolate the noise completely.

The cause is the eartips, because the bore of the earphone is big, the tip of the eartips is blut, so the eartips can not be inserted as deep as Shure's, but I think if ear channels are big, the eartips can be insert deeper, FLC8s still can get a good isolation.

Interesting info. Thanks!

May 12, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,648 of 7,931
Innerfidelity measures isolation. Here you can see the SE846 and W40 both isolate better than the twice vented FLC8S. It's most obvious in the bass frequencies:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FLCTechnologiesFLC8CCYVocals.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846WhiteFilterSample2.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneW40.pdf

Ouch. In the bass part of the spectrum the difference is huge.

Then I think i'll stick to my guns because isolation matters more than sound to me. I want to leave this hobby at 80 with my hearing unscathed as it is now.

May 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #3,649 of 7,931
@Flcforrestwei any idea on the pricing for your new flagship so I can plan which othr iems to get first
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry! we don't have the price now, drawing is not finished yet(but almost finished), after the drawing is finished, we need to make final sample to estimate the cost.

May 12, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #3,652 of 7,931

Ouch. In the bass part of the spectrum the difference is huge.

Then I think i'll stick to my guns because isolation matters more than sound to me. I want to leave this hobby at 80 with my hearing unscathed as it is now.

It would be interesting to know what type of ear tips were used for these measurements as I think it makesa big difference.  I would assume silicone on the FLC as that is all that is included.  The Shure and Westone could be foam or silicone.  It might be an apples to oranges comparison..

May 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3,653 of 7,931
Just outside now, 10 metres from a lawnmower/tractor on a windy day  
Using white large tips:

The sound of the lawn mower all but dissapeared! and yet the sound of the leaves blowing in the tress could be heard

So maybe its fair to say 'some' frequencies are very well attenuated but perhaps frequencies in the upper register are not so well isolated?
Same experience with the grey tips
Certainly doesn't impact on the enjoyment of music though when it starts :)

May 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,654 of 7,931
Both SE846 and W40 are with small bores, if we compare the eartips, we'll find that 864 and W40 eartips are cuspidal and FLC8s eartips are blunt, the cuspidal eartips can make the contact area with the ear channel bigger, so they can get better isolation, I think that's the reason.

That's a good point. There are probably other factors as well. For instance the Aurisoncis Rockets are one if the best isolation iems he's tested (better than noise canceling iems), and those are very small barrel housed dynamics. Not sure which tips he used but I'm guessing their stock, in-house tips, which are really sticky. Tyll eventually plans an article explaining how his isolation measurements are performed. Should be interesting reading.

May 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,655 of 7,931
  Sorry! we don't have the price now, drawing is not finished yet(but almost finished), after the drawing is finished, we need to make final sample to estimate the cost.

>$1000 or <$1000?

May 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,657 of 7,931

their flc ciem is ard 900 sgd so I reckon the new universal flagship is ard 600 sgd

so the flagship sounds better than the CIEM at a lower price.

May 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,659 of 7,931
That's a good point. There are probably other factors as well. For instance the Aurisoncis Rockets are one if the best isolation iems he's tested (better than noise canceling iems), and those are very small barrel housed dynamics. Not sure which tips he used but I'm guessing their stock, in-house tips, which are really sticky. Tyll eventually plans an article explaining how his isolation measurements are performed. Should be interesting reading.

Given the fact that the dummy head can not tell Tyll if fit is optimal there will always be needed to ask real users to weigh in the measurements.

Obviously, trying will be the shortest path to assess the matter but many times it's not an option.

Generally speaking, i give credit to the idea the thin bore iems fare better because insertion depth is bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back