Flawless albums
Jul 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #346 of 941

Quote:
Very true.  but...

can you name an album outside of "Rock" that has been hugely influenced by "Nevermind"?

can you name an album outside of Jazz that was hugely influenced by "KOB"?

can you name an album outside of "Prog Rock" that was hugely influenced by DSOTM?

can you name an album outside of "Comercial Pop" that was hugely unfluenced by "Thriller"?

I hate labels of music too but genres are there whether we like it or not...

I guess my question would be, 'Do you mean "influenced" in some kind of direct way or "informed by"?' Because starting at the bottom, I don't think we'll ever truly know how many folks everywhere were inspired by Thriller. For about three years that album was the air just about everybody was breathing, so even though it's a hard thing to quantify I'd venture we all walk a little different because of it. But if we need specifics, I'll offer up a small one: You've heard of the jazz drummer Joe Chambers, correct? He's made history with all kinds of deep post-boppers, and on Mirrors, his 1999 disc on Blue Note, he covers MJ's "The Lady In My Life".

Elsewhere, a coupla months ago I caught a gig by jazz pianist Robert Glasper, who did a fantastic version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Seems like it's been on his set list for awhile 'cause I think there's a youTube video of him doing it from a previous show. I also know that the R&B star Raphael Saadiq threw some Nirvana-type stuff into the last Tony Toni Toné album House of Music. I'm probably not a big enough fan of Floyd to care all that much, but I'd be willing to wager that they've got considerable reach beyond prog.

One other thing: As much as I kinda hate it when folks go all things-ain't-what-they-used-to-be when talking about music, one thing I do miss nowadays is feeling like musicians from different genres are actually listening to each other. Some do, but it's not like I remember it in the '70s and '80s, when there were so many examples it was ridiculous. That's how you got, say, the Isley Brothers doing Stephen Stills tunes; Al Green recording songs by Willie Nelson and Hank Williams; the Minutemen covering Steely Dan. Even Van Halen doing Motown or Aztec Camera doing Van Halen. I remember the first time I saw Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell together in the '80s (they were married at the time) they finished the set with the Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself"…greatness just transcends…

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #347 of 941

Quote:

I guess my question would be, 'Do you mean "influenced" in some kind of direct way or "informed by"?' Because starting at the bottom, I don't think we'll ever truly know how many folks everywhere were inspired by Thriller. For about three years that album was the air just about everybody was breathing, so even though it's a hard thing to quantify I'd venture we all walk a little different because of it. But if we need specifics, I'll offer up a small one: You've heard of the jazz drummer Joe Chambers, correct? He's made history with all kinds of deep post-boppers, and on Mirrors, his 1999 disc on Blue Note, he covers MJ's "The Lady In My Life".

Elsewhere, a coupla months ago I caught a gig by jazz pianist Robert Glasper, who did a fantastic version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Seems like it's been on his set list for awhile 'cause I think there's a youTube video of him doing it from a previous show. I also know that the R&B star Raphael Saadiq threw some Nirvana-type stuff into the last Tony Toni Toné album House of Music. I'm probably not a big enough fan of Floyd to care all that much, but I'd be willing to wager that they've got considerable reach beyond prog.

One other thing: As much as I kinda hate it when folks go all things-ain't-what-they-used-to-be when talking about music, one thing I do miss nowadays is feeling like musicians from different genres are actually listening to each other. Some do, but it's not like I remember it in the '70s and '80s, when there were so many examples it was ridiculous. That's how you got, say, the Isley Brothers doing Stephen Stills tunes; Al Green recording songs by Willie Nelson and Hank Williams; the Minutemen covering Steely Dan. Even Van Halen doing Motown or Aztec Camera doing Van Halen. I remember the first time I saw Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell together in the '80s (they were married at the time) they finished the set with Staple Singers "Respect Yourself"…greatness just transcends…

Absoulutely hear what you are saying, it was just in response to the "seminal" list that thingy made. Sgt Peppers Hugely inluenced the next generation of bands both rock or pop,  The other albums in the list will have all had some influence in one way or another with musicians in general but not in such a way that I would class as "seminal" apart from in thier respected genres. Which is what thingy was suggesting. That all music is universal and not split into genres.   

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #348 of 941

Quote:
Absoulutely hear what you are saying, it was just in response to the "seminal" list that thingy made. Sgt Peppers Hugely inluenced the next generation of bands both rock or pop,  The other albums in the list will have all had some influence in one way or another with musicians in general but not in such a way that I would class as "seminal" apart from in thier respected genres. Which is what thingy was suggesting. That all music is universal and not split into genres.  

Ahhh, I see now…that whole seminal discussion kinda lost me, but I might as well add that while I think Nevermind is pretty flawless, the reason I wouldn't consider it "seminal" is that I equate that with breaking new ground, which it didn't. Remember the documentary "The Year Punk Broke"? Well, to me, that about sums it up…Nirvana was the band that popularized something that had already been here for quite awhile. And at least "punk broke" with a great record rather than something watered down.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #355 of 941

Quote:

One other thing: As much as I kinda hate it when folks go all things-ain't-what-they-used-to-be when talking about music, one thing I do miss nowadays is feeling like musicians from different genres are actually listening to each other. Some do, but it's not like I remember it in the '70s and '80s, when there were so many examples it was ridiculous. That's how you got, say, the Isley Brothers doing Stephen Stills tunes; Al Green recording songs by Willie Nelson and Hank Williams; the Minutemen covering Steely Dan. Even Van Halen doing Motown or Aztec Camera doing Van Halen. I remember the first time I saw Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell together in the '80s (they were married at the time) they finished the set with the Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself"…greatness just transcends…

Thanks for your very thoughtful post.  You possess a cool eloquence that often escapes me.

Quote:

I never implied that music was not split into genres BugaLugz, you inferred that from my comment and perhaps my prose was clumsy (probably drunk).  I recognise the need for it, just as their is a need for scientific nomenclature.  I just prefer not to think of music in those terms.  It helps me keep an open mind (which aint easy, let me tell you).

Quote:

Ahhh, I see now…that whole seminal discussion kinda lost me, but I might as well add that while I think Nevermind is pretty flawless, the reason I wouldn't consider it "seminal" is that I equate that with breaking new ground, which it didn't. Remember the documentary "The Year Punk Broke"? Well, to me, that about sums it up…Nirvana was the band that popularized something that had already been here for quite awhile. And at least "punk broke" with a great record rather than something watered down.

Agreed.  However and imo Nevermind was ground-breaking in terms of what it achieved for the music industry.  It put 'alternative music' firmly into the mainstream.  As a result and imo, Nevermind killed pop music as we knew it at the time.  It wasn't musically ground-breaking of course.

Yours in all earnesty,
The Thing with Three Heads

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #356 of 941
London Calling, The Clash , along with the Jam the best bands to come out of the British Punk Rock era, a terrific live band also.

Live at Leeds, The Who, I was there, the best live band I have seen, and I,ve seen them all, U2 are the close 2nd, Bono agrees with me, said as much on twitter.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #358 of 941

Quote:
Haven't read the whole thread but there are some very good selections so far and some er, questionable ones. A flawless album to one may be horrid to another person so I don't want to criticise anyone for their 'taste'. Anyway these are some of the most complete albums I have come across so far:

What these particular entries need is cover art…

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #360 of 941
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild OST
ISIS - Panopticon
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, Giant Steps
mewithoutyou - Catch For Us the Foxes
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
U2 - The Joshua Tree
The Who - Who's Next

I am probably missing a few, but I would say that all of these albums are "flawless" (no filler).  Some tracks do stand out more than others, but they all stand up on their own.

Honorable Mentions (1-2 filler tracks):
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (I really wanted to add this one, but 'The Fix' seems like filler to me)
Led Zeppelin - IV (Yes, this album deserves to be in the list above, and yes, Stairway to Heaven is a great song, but I've heard it so many times I have to skip it)
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (On the Run.... ugh)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (Videotape)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back