Flat down?
Jul 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi. I store all my full size headphones flat. Does it make a difference whether the earpads face up or down?

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 22
Umm not really. Unless they are LCDs as they are the hippos of our world. I normally store my gear in IKEA boxes lined with satin and cotton stuffing for cushioning.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 22
The orientation doesn't matter so much, but the material you rest them on does matter.  If you store them in metal or plastic, the headphones tend to sound bright over time.  If you store them in wood, the headphones become warm and natural over time.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
The orientation doesn't matter so much, but the material you rest them on does matter.  If you store them in metal or plastic, the headphones tend to sound bright over time.  If you store them in wood, the headphones become warm and natural over time.

whoah thats something i never hered before OoO"
any idea how it works? 

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 22
Jul 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 22
Jul 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
whoah thats something i never hered before OoO"
any idea how it works? 

It has to do with the rich and high carbon count of the wood.  Over time it penetrates the driver membrane and housing of the headphones and gives them a very natural and life-like representation.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

It has to do with the rich and high carbon count of the wood.  Over time it penetrates the driver membrane and housing of the headphones and gives them a very natural and life-like representation.  

so, tell me how does metal and plastic change the SQ? What element penetrates the membrane of headphones stored in a metal-box? :3

Quote:
Did you store them in metal, plastic or wood to evaluate this non existent change?

I used the same software to calculate as I use for protecting my PC from viruses and hacker attacks. It's quite a cool versatile open source software called "Common Sense, Edition 2012"

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

I used the same software to calculate as I use for protecting my PC from viruses and hacker attacks. It's quite a cool versatile open source software called "Common Sense, Edition 2012"

So that'd be a no. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 22
Headphones stored in metal tend to rust over time, and the oxygen found in the rust tends to give a more airy sound to their treble, but many people mistaken this more emphasized sense of airiness and sparkle as a good thing, when in reality it's a very bad coloration.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 22
Sorry, I can't prove that there is no Santa Clause and/or Easter Bunny... which still doesn't prove they exist. But, it's unlikely.

Is there any scientific paper written to prove the positive (or any) effect from storing a driver in a wooden enclosure?

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
Sorry, I can't prove that there is no Santa Clause and/or Easter Bunny... which still doesn't prove they exist. But, it's unlikely.

Is there any scientific paper written to prove the positive (or any) effect from storing a driver in a wooden enclosure?

You could however go to the North Pole where said Santa is suppose to live. (Everyone knows the Easter Bunny ain't real) 
biggrin.gif

And no, you're the one conducting your common sense experiment to provide the science, right?

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
Let it also be known that if you store your headphones in a wooden case under a bunch of heavy books or electronics, it tends to make their bass rock-hard and very impactful.

roBernd, are ya an avid reader? Don't mean to weigh you down with soo much work. But could ya let us know how that turns out as well?

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 22
Gosh, I'm getting trolled... on the internet :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back