Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Feb 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #436 of 828

Quote:
Thanks! I got my Led Lenser M7 was doing some research of what batteries should I use. When alkaline batteries are draining, the voltage gets lower and lower. With NiMH batteries the voltage stays pretty much the same and it suddenly goes away when the battery has no power anymore.

So the M7 has a circuit (or something like that) that keeps the voltage the same so you get a constant brightness no matter how much you (alkaline) battery is used. Will that circuit still work with NiMH, since NiMH and Alkalines act differently when being drained.

Virtually every good modern led flashlight uses pretty sophisticated voltage/current regulation circuits these days.  I am not aware of a quality modern AA flashlight that will not work with NiMH cells.  Just remember, when you're out of juice, you're out of juice, and yes, that comes upon you more by surprise with rechargeables than with primaries.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #437 of 828
Thanks a lot for kwkarth and all of your guys help! 
I haven't seen much forums with so much helpful people, you can just ask about any gadget and there will be an expert on it here on headfi!

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #438 of 828
Quote:
Thought I'd post a comparison between the joke of a flashlight and my TK35.  The joke being a 3 cell Maglite.

Yep, an incan 3D Maglite only outputs 45 lumens. Surefire's P60 lamp had a bit more voltage to work with and was a bit better at 60 lumens. These days, I get that sort of performance from a dinky 1x AAA Preon. It's amazing how much LEDs have improved flashlights in such a short amount of time.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #440 of 828

Quote:
Yep, an incan 3D Maglite only outputs 45 lumens. Surefire's P60 lamp had a bit more voltage to work with and was a bit better at 60 lumens. These days, I get that sort of performance from a dinky 1x AAA Preon. It's amazing how much LEDs have improved flashlights in such a short amount of time.

No kidding!  It is truly amazing.  I think my Surefire C3 hasn't been fired up for two or more years.  I get well over twice the lumens (almost 3x) from less than half the power in my Olight Triton, and it (the Triton) has been old news for over a year already.

Staff Choice: MC-E Class Flashlight of the Year 2009!
Olight M30 Triton MC-E LED 700 Lumens! 
In addition to offering Olights world-class quality construction and engineering the M30 introduces Olight's all-new 'Special Operations' user interface which allows for ONE HANDED OPERATION of the light with direct access to illumination mode AND tactical strobing. The M30 Triton outputs an amazing 700 lumens on high output, a double striking bezel design and special anti-rolling design. Designed with the direct input of law enforcement and soldiers the M30 is also an ideal choice for adventure, hunting, and other tough and hazardous tasks that require the brightest and most compact package available. 

Product Data:
  1. LED: CREE MC-E led (M-bin)700 Lumens (at emitter)
  2. Battery Options in 3 Cell Configuration:
    1. 3 x CR123A/RCR123A batteries
    2. 2 x 18500 Protected Li-Ion
  3. Battery Options in 4 Cell Configuration w/included extender tube:
    1. 4 x CR123A (Note: 4 x RCR123A's CANNOT be used with extender.)
    2. 2 x 18650 Protected Li-ion
  4. Dimension 43.5mm/1.71"(D)X176.9mm/6.96"(L)
  5. Dimension with extender tube 43.5mm/1.71"(D)X210.9mm/8.3"(L)
  6. Weight: 165.2g/5.83oz (exclude battery)
  7. Function Three brightness levels and strobe mode.
  8. Output and runtime (2x18650, to 50%): High Mode 700 lumens/1.5 hours,
  9. Medium Mode 120 lumens/9 hours,
  10. Low Mode 8 lumens/90 hours
  11. Strobe 700lumens/1.5hours
Features:
  1. World-class super bright Cree MC-E LED
  2. Max 700 lumens
  3. Max 80 hours long runtime
  4. Side switch on tail cap for direct access to strobe from power-off
  5. Side switch on tail cap for changing modes from power-on
  6. Three digitally controlled constant brightness levels and strobe
  7. Front removable & Rear striking bezel provided for close quarter combat defense.
  8. Superior heat sink that disperses heat to protect LED and electrical components
  9. Ergonomic design for easy & comfortable operation
  10. Full orange peel reflector with perfect beam
  11. Rugged indestructible aluminum body with scratch, wear and corrosion resistant type III hard anodizing
  12. Twist strip for safe keeping and easy carry
  13. Water resistant to IP68
  14. Anti-shattering ultra clear lens, anti-scratching and anti-slip
  15. Engineered anti-slip body texture for a tight firm grip
  16. Built-in stainless steel pocket clip
  17. Advanced digital power management system for smooth and even brightness during battery life time
Standard Accessories:
  1. Extended tube
  2. Diffuser
  3. Battery magazine (for 3 pcs CR123A batteries)
  4. Twist strip
  5. O-ring grease
  6. Carry/storage case
Operation:
  1. Turn On/Off The Power - Pressing the tail cap switch will turn on/off the power; pressing softly will activate momentary illumination.
  2. Switch Mode - Pressing the side switch when power-on cycles modes through low, medium, high, strobe.
  3. Direct Strobe Access - Pressing the side button when power-off activates strobe mode directly

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #441 of 828
Yeah the M30 is still a good light.  I have a not so good comparison between the M30 and TK35, I'll post it later.  The TK35 totally outclasses it in throw and spot brightness, even though the pictures don't show it too well.  Shining them inside doesn't give you a huge difference, but once you take them both outside it's a different story.

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #442 of 828

Quote:
Yeah the M30 is still a good light.  I have a not so good comparison between the M30 and TK35, I'll post it later.  The TK35 totally outclasses it in throw and spot brightness, even though the pictures don't show it too well.  Shining them inside doesn't give you a huge difference, but once you take them both outside it's a different story.

I can believe it!  I see the same thing when I compare throw between the M30 and my TK40.  My TK40 seems to throw about 30% farther outside, but inside it's difficult to see substantial differences in brightness.  I only use the M30 with 3 cells, not 4 and I suspect it would be somewhat brighter with 4 cells.

Your TK35 uses the very latest LEDs and I love the form factor and user interface.  It's on my list!!

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #443 of 828

Quote:
I can believe it!  I see the same thing when I compare throw between the M30 and my TK40.  My TK40 seems to throw about 30% farther outside, but inside it's difficult to see substantial differences in brightness.  I only use the M30 with 3 cells, not 4 and I suspect it would be somewhat brighter with 4 cells.

Your TK35 uses the very latest LEDs and I love the form factor and user interface.  It's on my list!!

Indeed.

Here is the picture:

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #444 of 828
Tried my Led Lenser P7 with lithium AAA batteries, there wasn't any noticeable difference on the output. Let's hope it lasts longer. EDIT: Actually the difference is big, you can't really see it during the day, but at night lithium batteries does make the P7 much brighter. I am kind of worried that it gets hot, so for long hikes I still use alkalines.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #447 of 828
I always thought my Led Lenser P7 are great and durable, until today. It fell out of my hands while I was lifting them above my head, around 2m high to a concrete ground... it broke. It only lights up when I tap and hold the button.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #449 of 828
Yeah, both my Fenix flashlights (large and small) have taken some serious suicidal drops onto the floor and concrete with no "ability to light" problems occurring. Worth every penny.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #450 of 828

Quote:
Yeah, some people are happy with stock iBud earphones too.

What about "1 ipod bud"...the other being shared in their friends ear. 

Now that's true audiophile quality, especially if it's a 128kbps file. Life doesn't get much better than that, no?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back