Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Mar 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #452 of 828

Quote:
Yeah, both my Fenix flashlights (large and small) have taken some serious suicidal drops onto the floor and concrete with no "ability to light" problems occurring. Worth every penny.

Oh,I thought it's just the Led Lensers have a bad quality. I'm buying a new one anyway... Maybe a Led Lenser Hokus Focus since it seems to be a great value, and I could probably get some more lumens out with Energizer Lithium batteries.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #453 of 828

Quote:
Oh,I thought it's just the Led Lensers have a bad quality. I'm buying a new one anyway... Maybe a Led Lenser Hokus Focus since it seems to be a great value, and I could probably get some more lumens out with Energizer Lithium batteries.

You might want to consider a better brand.  4Sevens, Fenix, Olight, Surefire, for example.  There are many more besides the four that I mentioned too.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #454 of 828

Quote:
I always thought my Led Lenser P7 are great and durable, until today. It fell out of my hands while I was lifting them above my head, around 2m high to a concrete ground... it broke. It only lights up when I tap and hold the button.

The switch is usually the weakpoint for a forward clicky light and generally doesn't stand up to abuse as well as the rest of the light. From your description, sounds like your light landed on the switch and broke the clicky bits. Not sure if Coast does it, but many companies will send you a replacement switch if you call in for repairs. Replacement is usually an easy fix if you have a pair of needlenose pliers.

It's one of the more common malfunctions in a clicky light, so I wouldn't be too worried about it unless it becomes a common occurrence.*

* However, I'll note that none of my critical lights are clickies. Too much opportunities for something to go wrong and for no light to come out when I press the button.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #455 of 828

Quote:
You might want to consider a better brand.  4Sevens, Fenix, Olight, Surefire, for example.  There are many more besides the four that I mentioned too.

I've done some searching, but it's just impossible to find Fenix or Shurefires in Europe...
Led Lenser basically dominates the whole "premium" flashlight market, just like Sennheiser with headphones.

Anyways I still have my Led Lenser M7, and it works great! (I haven't dropped it, yet) I found that it works better with rechargeable batteries, it's brighter, and the Turbo mode now actually works (didn't work with alkalines) also there is more brightness difference between the "dim" or "low" mode and the normal mode.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #456 of 828
Here's the flashlights (along with the rest of the gear selection):

Surefire C2-BK w/ M60W
RA Clicky 140-Cn
Inova X1
Peak Kino Bay SS P4
Arc-P
and a cheap Chinese AAA CREE Q5 light

Not pictured:

3D Aspherical Maglite with CREE Q5 emitter
Inova X5

Pretty much covers all the bases, right?

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #458 of 828

Quote:
COOL! I've always wanted to buy a tactical pen for self defense, it might go well into your gears too.

Tactical pens are cool looking, but depending on one for self-defense is ill-advised. You're better off taking self-defense classes instead. That said, I've heard good things about the Embassy Pens.

Thanks for the compliment on my gear! My wallet hates me between all that and my audio-related purchases.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #459 of 828

Quote:

Tactical pens are cool looking, but depending on one for self-defense is ill-advised. You're better off taking self-defense classes instead. That said, I've heard good things about the Embassy Pens.

Thanks for the compliment on my gear! My wallet hates me between all that and my audio-related purchases.

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking some classes when I have time, but don't they teach us how to use tools like tactical pens etc?

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #460 of 828
Just got myself a 4Sevens Quark AA^2 Tactical. I am amazed by how much light the 170 Lumens actually is in a dark forrest at night. I absolutely love this flshlight. I never knew of 4Sevens untill I saw it earlier in this thread. So thanks for sharing 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #461 of 828
Congrats on the new Quark!

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #462 of 828

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking of taking some classes when I have time, but don't they teach us how to use tools like tactical pens etc?

Some of the "tactical" pens aren't really very tactical, but they're very well built pens in their own right, such as the Surefire EWP-03 and EWP-04.  Nice pens.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #463 of 828

Quote:
Just got myself a 4Sevens Quark AA^2 Tactical. I am amazed by how much light the 170 Lumens actually is in a dark forrest at night. I absolutely love this flshlight. I never knew of 4Sevens untill I saw it earlier in this thread. So thanks for sharing 
normal_smile .gif

Total noob to this thread, but I certainly appreciate a quality piece of machinery... and flashlights are a necessity, especially for camping, hiking, earthquake country, etc.

So how did you choose this particular one? Did you look at comparables by other mfgrs? The Olight I25 - T25 (205 lumens) looks interesting. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have recommendations?
I'd like to stay with AA as they are everywhere and I've got a ton of rechargeables.

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #464 of 828

Quote:

Total noob to this thread, but I certainly appreciate a quality piece of machinery... and flashlights are a necessity, especially for camping, hiking, earthquake country, etc.

So how did you choose this particular one? Did you look at comparables by other mfgrs? The Olight I25 (205 lumens) looks interesting. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have recommendations?

I'd like to stay with AA as they are everywhere and I've got a ton of rechargeables.

Shane,
So you want to stick with AA batteries?  That's not a bad choice since they're pretty much ubiquitous.  Just be aware you will not be able to achieve maximum lumins in the smallest package.  That's about the only practical limitation of AA's, particularly when you consider using rechargeables like Eneloops.  All alkaline batteries WILL leak if ignored ling enough.  Some AA lights do not work well with Lithium batteries, although many do.  Some of the best value/performance AA lights are the offerings from 4Sevens.  Their 2011 catalog is an easy browse to see an overview of what they offer.  They're a great company. I've been doing business with them as long as they've been around.  Their quality and customer service have always been exemplary.  

https://www.4sevens.com/2011_Catalog.pdf

If you have any questions about them, I have experience with most of their models as well as the Fenix, EagleTac, and Olight series.

For me, in most cases, no light can be small enough.  The smaller it is, the more likely you are to have it with you when you need it.  CR3 and CR2 lithium power is typically the highest energy density you'll find, and also a typical 10 year shelf life.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #465 of 828
Thanks for the link.
Yeah, the CR123's are shorter and have better power and shelf-life, but they are not, as you put it, ubiquitous. For my purposes, and for convenience, the AA would be the better choice. If I throw one in my wife's glove box, she'd be able to deal with AA batteries easier than CR123's.

Yes, the 4sevens has a very good selection and the AA2's look like they would suite my purpose pretty well.

Between it and the Olight, (or ITP) is there much of a build quality, durability / operational difference?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back