Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #346 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by JarodL1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^I want a LED flashlight for everyday use that isn't the size of a musical instrument and doesn't measure battery life in minutes. Besides that I have no real "criteria".

In that case, the choices available to you should be almost limitless.

The Mag XL100 being discussed above should be more than sufficient for your needs.

Any of the Quark series from 4Sevens would meet your needs. If ruggedness and simplicity are of primary importance to you, then consider the Elzetta ZFL-M60. It is so well made (here in the USA) that it makes the SF seem like a toy by comparison. So, my friend, decide what is most important to you first to narrow down your choices.

k

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #347 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, the choices available to you should be almost limitless.

The Mag XL100 being discussed above should be more than sufficient for your needs.

Any of the Quark series from 4Sevens would meet your needs. If ruggedness and simplicity are of primary importance to you, then consider the Elzetta ZFL-M60. It is so well made (here in the USA) that it makes the SF seem like a toy by comparison. So, my friend, decide what is most important to you first to narrow down your choices.

k

Thanks. The Elzetta seems to be the only one you listed that might be on par in terms of quality/functionality of the Surefire. Although I do like the Surefire's form factor a little more.

Are there any other lights out there that are better quality/performance wise then Surefire? Again, I don't care about value per $, just the flat out best quality lights.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #348 of 828
As far as the Surefire LX2 goes, I'll note that its UI type is taste specific. It gives up the "click to hold" mode in order to have easily accessible dual output levels and still be tactically correct (read: high immediately available, same button press result every time).

The Surefire E1B, E2D, E1L, E2L are more suitable for most users than the LX2 is.

The Elzetta is BIG. The Surefire 6P is already a sizeable light and the Elzetta is effectively an uparmored version of that light.

If cost effectiveness isn't an issue, check out the Ra Clicky. Well built light that's very pocketable with an extremely versatile UI. Overpriced perhaps, but that's the breaks when dealing with a smaller shop.

If money isn't an issue, check out the Customs section of candlepowerforums.com. Some great lights there at "money no object" prices, and a lot more at "almost reasonable" prices.

I wouldn't disregard the 4Sevens Quarks either. They're as well made as any Surefire, if not quite there in ultimate durability (read: not quite as good when used as a prybar). They only thing they really give up is the ability to lockout the tailcap to disable the light. Surefire anodizes the threads on the tailcap interface. Quark doesn't.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #349 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the Surefire LX2 goes, I'll note that its UI type is taste specific. It gives up the "click to hold" mode in order to have easily accessible dual output levels and still be tactically correct (read: high immediately available, same button press result every time).

The Surefire E1B, E2D, E1L, E2L are more suitable for most users than the LX2 is.

The Elzetta is BIG. The Surefire 6P is already a sizeable light and the Elzetta is effectively an uparmored version of that light.

If cost effectiveness isn't an issue, check out the Ra Clicky. Well built light that's very pocketable with an extremely versatile UI. Overpriced perhaps, but that's the breaks when dealing with a smaller shop.

If money isn't an issue, check out the Customs section of candlepowerforums.com. Some great lights there at "money no object" prices, and a lot more at "almost reasonable" prices.

I wouldn't disregard the 4Sevens Quarks either. They're as well made as any Surefire, if not quite there in ultimate durability (read: not quite as good when used as a prybar). They only thing they really give up is the ability to lockout the tailcap to disable the light. Surefire anodizes the threads on the tailcap interface. Quark doesn't.

The RA is a good suggestion. The Elzetta is not a big light. It is smaller than the 6P, but it is far more rugged.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #350 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RA is a good suggestion. The Elzetta is not a big light. It is smaller than the 6P, but it is far more rugged.

I stand corrected.
smile.gif
Must have gotten a wire crossed somewhere back there.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #351 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stand corrected.
smile.gif
Must have gotten a wire crossed somewhere back there.

The Elzetta is a stunner for me. I was shocked the first time I opened the box on mine because it was far more compact than it looked in the pictures...the execution is so precise,....and the output from that M-60 Malkoff drop in...

About as perfect a beam as I've ever seen.

It amazes and delights me every time I fire it up. Awesome light!

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/produ...d=172-173-6699
6699-m.jpg

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #352 of 828
I haven't read this entire thread...but I had to post as a result of a chuckle I had the other day....

I've always appreciated a good flashlight and have always had a Princeton tec LED headlamp or traditional mini maglight close at hand. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a gun show with my dad and I saw a small LED flashlight that absolutely blew me away. In a fully lit exposition center, this flashlight could put the beam on the opposite wall of the building. I don't remember the brand, but it was rated at 240 lumens.

Since I've learned that there is a forum out there for every little hobby, I looked around to do some research because I was definitely behind the times on flashlights. I found candlepowerforums.com (which is a great website that would make Head-fi proud) and had to laugh as I saw several familiar Head-fi folks such as.....kwkarth. Imagine that, head-fiers as all around gear heads....

I did some research and finally bought a Eagletac P20A2 MKII flashlight. I am amazed by its output and am totally satisfied. This little minimag sized light beats out every other light I've ever owned many times over (including my Princeton tec pistol grip scuba light that has impressed me all these years). Add to that a jakstrap and you have an excellent headlamp as well.

My only minor complaint is that there is a little bit of battery rattle (as I'm sure the battery tube is slightly oversized for rechargeables), and I can't see how the front lens could be water tight as there is no o-ring in the design.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #354 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My (major) complaint about Eagletac is their non-existent custumer service. Trying to rech them now for more than four months and still only one (useless) reply.

I had the same bad luck with Eagle Tac until they switched their US customer support over to PTS (Pacific Tactical Solutions) Flashlights in Wenatchee, Washington. Mike at PTS has been awesome in support of EagleTac.

He more than made good on every unfulfilled promise from EagleTac. Because of his support I would not hesitate to do business with PTS/EagleTac.

Tactical Flashlights by EagleTac, Wolf Eyes and Fenix - Pacific Tactical Solutions

Pacific Tactial Solutions Inc.
331 Valley Mall Parkway, Ste, 245
East Wenatchee, WA 98802
Phone: (509) 214-0302
Fax: (509) 214-0301
support@pacifictacticalsolutions.com

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #357 of 828
Mostly interface. E2DL is a clicky. Press for light and click to hold. Release and press/click again to change modes. LX2 is pushbutton twisty. Press lightly for low, hard for high, and twist to hold.

The A2 is a nicer version of the LX2, same UI but with secondary LEDs to provide a flood on low and a primary LED to provide a focused beam on high.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #358 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My (major) complaint about Eagletac is their non-existent custumer service. Trying to rech them now for more than four months and still only one (useless) reply.

Oh, lol.
They replied on 19 april to a mail I sent March 6th

Users who are viewing this thread

Back