FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,249 of 1,354
To change cable to a commercially available balanced one, I guess to change cable for a custom one (I don't think that's needed, but some do).

I think it's just that plug that makes them look uncomfortable. Would be better to have a much smaller connector that acted more like the old cable.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #1,251 of 1,354
Can you please give instructions/tutorial for this? Because you seem to be the only one who did this and I have Flares Gold on its way here which I want to mod too. Mainly for the benefits of better SQ with a good cable.

We still haven't heard from the original poster as to why he'd want to modify the IEM with a MMXC connector. As you've suggested though, let us presume its for sound quality purposes. Is adding another connector (the drivers are soldered directly to the output cables at present) really going to make any difference? I'd challenge anyone in a blind listening test to notice any difference, even with the most exotic cable you could buy, if connected that way.

The biggest issue for me is the shape of the connector/IEM once its done. When my Pro's are in my ears they stick straight out, not at an angle. And if the IEM with MMCX makes them angle downwards at the end like in that picture, for me it would mess the sound up completely! The Gold is larger than the Pro too, and I think that could be even worse. My Gold's sit nicely in my ears at the moment, and I wouldn't want to change that.

Bottom line is I'd hestitate to make any modifications like the one above. The body on the Flares are not designed around a removal connector, so making one that works the same as the current cable exit set up I think would be impossible.

If you're convinced that different cable could improve the overall sound quality then solder it directly to the drivers as at present. That is possible, I've had a few pairs of these apart and its not a difficult job. For me though I'm happy with the original cable. In fact I've just replaced one of the 3.5mm jacks with a new one as the original became damaged, rather than change the whole cable which I could have changed if desired.

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,252 of 1,354
We still haven't heard from the original poster as to why he'd want to modify the IEM with a MMXC connector. As you've suggested though, let us presume its for sound quality purposes. Is adding another connector (the drivers are soldered directly to the output cables at present) really going to make any difference? I'd challenge anyone in a blind listening test to notice any difference, even with the most exotic cable you could buy, if connected that way.
Hello. I have modded Sony MH1C to MMCX connectors and also a stock one. Let me tell you the difference between the stock cable and some of my IEM cables is quite big SQ-wise. You get more definition in all frequencies, larger (wider and deeper) soundstage and better localization. As for adding a connector in-between a driver and a cable, the SQ difference shouldn't be as large as changing the cable to a better one, because the length of the conductor (the connector) is small in relation to the length of the cable.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #1,253 of 1,354
Hello. I have modded Sony MH1C to MMCX connectors and also a stock one. Let me tell you the difference between the stock cable and some of my IEM cables is quite big SQ-wise. You get more definition in all frequencies, larger (wider and deeper) soundstage and better localization. As for adding a connector in-between a driver and a cable, the SQ difference shouldn't be as large as changing the cable to a better one, because the length of the conductor (the connector) is small in relation to the length of the cable.

I don’t dispute that cables can make an improvement, I was commenting on the Flares specifically as I think it’s a good cable having had one apart.

The biggest issue is the difficulty in modifying the Flares with an MMCX so it retains the same physical layout as currently.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,254 of 1,354
I don’t dispute that cables can make an improvement, I was commenting on the Flares specifically as I think it’s a good cable having had one apart.

The biggest issue is the difficulty in modifying the Flares with an MMCX so it retains the same physical layout as currently.
I believe the only way of doing that would be to model and print the same plastic slab as the original but adapted for MMCX connector. But I'm still interested in how the guy above did this.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,255 of 1,354
Nice looking cable :beerchug:

I'm not surprised about the benefits of balanced with Flare iems. Like you, I've owned all the models, except for those generic looking Jet models. All of them benefit with essentially more power, which balance brings to the table over SE. Next to synergy, power is everything in this insane hobby, IMO.
I just got the hd's, love them, even next to Kahn or Roland or LX, could you make me a 4.4 and send to london UK? Thanks

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,256 of 1,354
Flare sold out the PRO models with their Christmas / New Year sale.

I'm wondering if and when there will be a new PRO model.
Would not have expected that they would discontinue the PRO model with the new bud design so fast.
Currently happy with my Flare GOLD, but I'm open buying a new In-Ear from Flare - I'm a fan since their initial crowdfunding.

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,257 of 1,354
does anyone know where (or if) I can source a replacement MMCX-3.5mm Jack cable replacement for the orignal Flares Pro? The connector seems damaged, and I now only have one channel.

I've googled to no avail, and there's nothing on Flare's website (I haven't called them direct yet to ask)

I dare say it's repairable, but having no soldering experience or equipment I wouldn't know where to start. I can still use via the BT module of course, but I love using these via a headphone amp so really want to get the wired connection sorted!

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,258 of 1,354
does anyone know where (or if) I can source a replacement MMCX-3.5mm Jack cable replacement for the orignal Flares Pro? The connector got pulled and bent by another passenger on a flight recently, and I now only have one channel.

I've googled to no avail, and there's nothing on Flare's website (I haven't called them direct yet to ask)

I dare say it's repairable, but having no soldering experience or equipment I wouldn't know where to start. I can still use via the BT module of course, but I love using these via a headphone amp so really want to get the wired connection sorted!

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Flare Audio will be able to provide one - just get in touch with their customer service.

If you like using them wired, @alpha421 on here runs a cable manufacturer that have done me a 4.4mm balanced cable for my Flares Pro2 HD, so might be s good origin to speak to?

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,259 of 1,354
Hi everybody, i am new here. I want to find the suit one for my taste, please help!!
My favorite genre are Prog. Metal (Dream Theater, Opeth, Haken), mainly, and others Rock bands like Eagles, Scorpions and some classical epic like Hans Zimmer, etc.
So, can the Flare Pro 2HD drive it well?
Thank you!!!

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,260 of 1,354
Remember that the Pro 2HD is now sold out and discontinued! You'll have to buy secondhand.

Their twitter account said their sale was the last chance to buy them... and now they're sold out.

Not sure what Flare Audio are doing next - they wouldn't say when i asked. Perhaps demand has been slow and they're getting out of the headphone game? Who knows... could mean a new product is coming instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back