FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Sep 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,231 of 1,354
Interesting take. I think while the tuning is different, it's not that different. Flare even acknowledge that the 2HD is the new "flagship" in terms of SQ, despite the lower price. Everyone's hearing and preference is different, so if that's way you hear them, that's fair enough - I owned both for a while and ended up selling my Gold as I preferred the 2HD, but I know a few people who prefer the Gold.

Also, agree with you on the foams. Wide bore tips work really well with these IEMs - they are designed to work with the conical funnel type design, so something like Spiral Dots work really well for me too.

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,232 of 1,354
Thanks all, due to the Pro being new ones, i would go for that now, mainly due to warranty and probably better BT battery and such. As for the tips, i usually have hard time fitting them yo my ears and getting the Comply ones, but i do not see them in the Comply website - are there any recommended tips to buy online?

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,233 of 1,354
Thanks all, due to the Pro being new ones, i would go for that now, mainly due to warranty and probably better BT battery and such. As for the tips, i usually have hard time fitting them yo my ears and getting the Comply ones, but i do not see them in the Comply website - are there any recommended tips to buy online?

Try your luck with the audiophile foam tips that done with the HD first - if they work for you, you may not need to go long for external tip choices. I actually use them on a few of my non-Flare IEMs.

Sep 25, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,234 of 1,354
Try your luck with the audiophile foam tips that done with the HD first - if they work for you, you may not need to go long for external tip choices. I actually use them on a few of my non-Flare IEMs.

I use those audiophile earphones on my non-front vented iems now as well as on a few others. They are not cheap but very much worth it IMO.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #1,235 of 1,354

I’d also say try the audiophile foam tips first. You can buy them when the Flare sales are on and then they’re no more expensive than other branded tips.

I do wonder if the feedback from elixberd is partly based on the fact he used those Comply copy tips. The Comply’s I tried did make the bass overblown and the treble too recessed.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #1,236 of 1,354
I use the Mandarine Wides because they seal so well and and being a wide bore they do what the Flare tips do. BTW, I have the Golds and having read all the posts on this thread I've come to the conclusion that getting the 2HDs would make very little difference as far as SQ goes.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,237 of 1,354
I use the Mandarine Wides because they seal so well and and being a wide bore they do what the Flare tips do. BTW, I have the Golds and having read all the posts on this thread I've come to the conclusion that getting the 2HDs would make very little difference as far as SQ goes.
This is good to know and today probably i will get the 2HD.. the only concern is that i was planning to use them on the go, and when looking for audiophile grade BT headphones, these are the ones that won my attention but I've just found out they do not have a Microphone.. i will have to get another headsets for making the calls as well... Does Flare have any headsets that include a mic?

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #1,238 of 1,354
This is good to know and today probably i will get the 2HD.. the only concern is that i was planning to use them on the go, and when looking for audiophile grade BT headphones, these are the ones that won my attention but I've just found out they do not have a Microphone.. i will have to get another headsets for making the calls as well... Does Flare have any headsets that include a mic?

The BT module is the same for all the Pro's and it does have a microphone! Where did you see that it didn't on the 2HD?

Either that or I've been speaking into my BT module like a berk for a couple of years and its my iPhone picking up my voice!

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #1,239 of 1,354
Screenshot_20190926-050141.png

The BT module is the same for all the Pro's and it does have a microphone! Where did you see that it didn't on the 2HD?

Either that or I've been speaking into my BT module like a berk for a couple of years and its my iPhone picking up my voice!

Hi, I've been using the bt module to make calls for awhile now and can confirm the module, indeed, does have a microphone. No details online about the microphone but I've double checked with flare via chat this morning

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,240 of 1,354
I didn't find the sound between the Gold and 2HD to be that different when I had them. So I returned the 2HD because I could, and get the money back.

The 2HD is now the flag-ship yes, but probably because the Gold was too damned expensive and probably not selling because of it.. it was for bling purposes really IMHO, upselling. Really good, but as is shown, as good quality (but slight different presentation) is then suddenly available for much less.. Hmm.. I used the big discount when the Gold came out and they were a lot better than the other models at the time, so not too bothered about paying still a lot for them.

Anyway, Flare Audio currently have a discount code for 25% off, including the 2HD. So you can buy them new for £299! Maybe decision made for you?

Code is : F25

Guessing it's a Facebook ad code, otherwise I would have expected someone else to have posted it up here too. If you go to Clare's Facebook page and like it, you'll probably see the ads too.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,241 of 1,354
Got both the 2HD and the E5000.

E5000 is bassier and warmer in tone. Both are small and fit well in my ears. Build quality about equal, but 2HD has the additional Bluetooth module and killer packaging.

E5000 is warmer and more romantic in tone, bit less resolving than the 2HD, which is technically more proficient. Neither are bass light, but 2HD is more natural/neutral, with just a small uplift in the low bass.

2HD feels clearer and more emphasised in the mids, whereas the E5000 is more relaxed but definitely not V shaped (it's more L shaped than anything else).

Both are excellent sounding IEMs, but if you are going for technical ability and don't need a huge badb, I'd go for the 2HD.

Hmm, interesting. At this point i suppose it's a choice between 2HD and Tanchjim Oxygen for me.

Anyone can weigh in on this? Does anyone here own both?

Also I have to consider you apparently cannot detach the cable connector on the 2HD. Can the 2HD be worn over-ear?

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,242 of 1,354
Hmm, interesting. At this point i suppose it's a choice between 2HD and Tanchjim Oxygen for me.

I

Also I have to consider you apparently cannot detach the cable connector on the 2HD. Can the 2HD be worn over-ear?

I have the Golds and yes they can be worn over ear without any problem.

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,243 of 1,354

Yes, as stated above, over ear wear is no problem. The cable IS detachable, just not at the IEM end. The connectors are at the y-split, which is where you change from the wired cable to the included balanced Bluetooth adapter.

You can get cobblestones like Triton Audio cables to make a balanced cable for you using Flare Audio cables and a new balanced plug if you need (I have a 4.4mm balanced cable they did for me) if you really need to as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back