FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #1,006 of 1,354
Interestingly, rhodium is actually more expensive than Gold (and rarer). Suspect the fact they are only plating the bore area (where the smoothness of the surface is supposed to play a part in quality of sound, according to Flare) might have something to do with the price being lower.

I had the Gold and reviewed them recently - sadly I sold them on to fund another review target so won't be able to compare properly, but should be able to post some thoughts between the Pron2 (which I still own), the Gold (from memory) and the 2HD when they arrive.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #1,007 of 1,354
I've still got my Gold's only had them a few weeks so I'll do a comparison today at some point. I think its worth waiting to hear some opinions before we discard the new model as being a minor change.
The flares lineup, as far as IEM's go look pretty basic, and we can all admit they surprised us all, I'm hoping the new model will accentuate that further.

The new ones are out for delivery at the moment so once I get a good idea of whats going on I'll update. :)
I may end up selling my Golds, even though Flare have already agreed to return them, if anyone is interested then PM me.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #1,008 of 1,354
Don't get me wrong. I love my R2Pros, but when it comes to details and resolving sound the Noble K10U slaughters them. Certainly hope the HDs are a massive improvement in that area while not losing the organic, natural sound. R2Pros feel like they're dripping musing straight into my soul. No other can or IEM I have listened to does that.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #1,009 of 1,354
Right guys, they've arrived and despite my reservations, there's a definite difference between the Gold and HD2. I've tried listening to a selection of tracks that would really benefit from an IEM with decent resolution.
Afraid to say my Gold's now seem a bit veiled in comparison, best way I can describe is that there's a plastic sheet between my ears and the Gold, which has now been removed. The music sounds a fair bit more dynamic and lively too, which shocked me as I was quite content with my Gold.

Anyway, be interesting to see what others say. But I'm gonna keep listening and give them a good run in!

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,010 of 1,354
Right guys, they've arrived and despite my reservations, there's a definite difference between the Gold and HD2. I've tried listening to a selection of tracks that would really benefit from an IEM with decent resolution.
Afraid to say my Gold's now seem a bit veiled in comparison, best way I can describe is that there's a plastic sheet between my ears and the Gold, which has now been removed. The music sounds a fair bit more dynamic and lively too, which shocked me as I was quite content with my Gold.

Anyway, be interesting to see what others say. But I'm gonna keep listening and give them a good run in!

In terms of detail and dynamism, did this cone through naturally, or does it feel more like a "push" or emphasis in certain frequency ranges? Just got delivery notification for mine, so they should be here tomorrow.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #1,011 of 1,354
In terms of detail and dynamism, did this cone through naturally, or does it feel more like a "push" or emphasis in certain frequency ranges? Just got delivery notification for mine, so they should be here tomorrow.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly. I'd say that the driver itself seems to have more control over the sound reproduction, everything seems faster and tighter. I know that people will be concerned the "detail" is just an accentuation of mid-high sounds being more apparent, but even the bass sounds better to my ears, like it's got more to give. Nothing in particular seems to sit in the foreground above anything else. It's just a nicer experience, at least for me.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,012 of 1,354
That's interesting to hear. It's where they intimate the improvements have been made, in the control of the driver pressures and the surface of the acoustic lens, so makes sense that it would sound cleaner.

Will be really interesting to hear these tomorrow - I know they think so much of their tech around the driver they have patented it, so will be good to hear how much of an improvement it actually is.

Would still love to see an upgraded cable (or just a balanced one!) though.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,013 of 1,354
I'd love a balanced cable. I've had a look on Aliexpress for the parts but I've not had chance to get around to placing an order, also I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that stuff and I'd prefer Flare to just sell me one. :darthsmile:

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,014 of 1,354
It's hard to pinpoint exactly. I'd say that the driver itself seems to have more control over the sound reproduction, everything seems faster and tighter. I know that people will be concerned the "detail" is just an accentuation of mid-high sounds being more apparent, but even the bass sounds better to my ears, like it's got more to give. Nothing in particular seems to sit in the foreground above anything else. It's just a nicer experience, at least for me.

Well that is somewhat reassuring. One characteristic I loved about the Flare Gold and Pro 2, is how balanced they sound across all frequencies. I am really hoping Flare did not tweak the tuning in favor of a v-shaped sound to obtain the extra details in the upper midrange and highs. I love my mids and would hate to have them come off as recessed on this new model. One questions I have is whether the Pro 2HD is closer to the Golds or the Pro 2 in midrange presentation and staging? I've owned both, and felt the Pro 2 had a slightly more forward midrange while the Golds had the slightly more expansive sound stage. I am really looking forward to some additional impressions!

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,015 of 1,354
So I asked Tobie from Flare about the Pro 2HD and how it compared to the Pros 2 and Gold in the chats and this was the reply:

• In comparison to the PRO's and the GOLD's, the sound quality is certainly improved, the changes we have made within the design are only microscopic, but this has resulted in a huge change in the overall sound depth.

The GOLD's are no longer on sale with us and have been discontinued, this was because they where a very pricey purchase and we wanted to make our amazing sound and technological innovations more cost effective so that as many people can experience this amazing product! So the sound is certainly improved from the sound we could get from the GOLD's and on top of that we have made the price much more affordable!
  • In terms of the PRO 2, this is the design we have altered, so again, the depth of sound and clarity of instruments and frequency's is certainly improved with the PRO 2HD

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,016 of 1,354
I've been listening to my newly delivered Pro HD2 for around 80 minutes and so far I am very impressed. I've been using my Sony WM1a as a source.

Now this is purely from memory but for me there appears to be more depth and kick to the bass, the detail in the higher levels seems more polished and smoother. The biggest difference for me is that the mids and vocals seem a bit further forward in the mix. With the old Pro's and Golds I always felt the midrange was just a little lacking for my taste. These seem different, listening to Lou Reed's vocals on the Songs for Drella album his vocals are definitely more upfront than they were on my Golds. Not to an extent that they over shadow or over power the other ranges but more prominent than before.

Fit is excellent, although they are bit longer they still fit nice and snug and after 5 minutes I can barely feel them in my ears.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,017 of 1,354
I've been listening to my newly delivered Pro HD2 for around 80 minutes and so far I am very impressed. I've been using my Sony WM1a as a source.

Now this is purely from memory but for me there appears to be more depth and kick to the bass, the detail in the higher levels seems more polished and smoother. The biggest difference for me is that the mids and vocals seem a bit further forward in the mix. With the old Pro's and Golds I always felt the midrange was just a little lacking for my taste. These seem different, listening to Lou Reed's vocals on the Songs for Drella album his vocals are definitely more upfront than they were on my Golds. Not to an extent that they over shadow or over power the other ranges but more prominent than before.

Fit is excellent, although they are bit longer they still fit nice and snug and after 5 minutes I can barely feel them in my ears.

If this is true about the mids, it is going to take all of my willpower to resist ordering these! I really appreciate the quick impressions even though my wallet doesn't! I'm wondering now if the midrange and vocals are more forward than the old Pro 2's...

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,018 of 1,354
If this is true about the mids, it is going to take all of my willpower to resist ordering these! I really appreciate the quick impressions even though my wallet doesn't! I'm wondering now if the midrange and vocals are more forward than the old Pro 2's...

Do bear in mind though that this is to my ears, we all hear different. Other's who have received today and those tomorrow may hear it different to me.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,019 of 1,354
Do bear in mind though that this is to my ears, we all hear different. Other's who have received today and those tomorrow may hear it different to me.
Indeed. I found the Gold tuning just about perfect. Sounds like the Golds is definitely more neutral over the new 2HD if the vocals and mix are more forward, which sounds like a U-shape signature with a lift in the treble. Wouldn't be an "improvement" to my ears. Have fun all with the 2HD, the Golds are staying put with no room from the 2HD.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,020 of 1,354
Indeed. I found the Gold tuning just about perfect. Sounds like the Golds is definitely more neutral over the new 2HD if the vocals and mix are more forward, which sounds like a U-shape signature with a lift in the treble. Wouldn't be an "improvement" to my ears. Have fun all with the 2HD, the Golds are staying put with no room from the 2HD.

That's the thing, I found the Gold's lacked in the mids, I found them to be more U-shaped! The HD2 are not neutral but I'd say they are closer to it than the Golds were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back