FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Apr 2, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #1,036 of 1,354
I've just received second pair - first one had a minor visual flaw. Unfortunately, the second pair have worse channel balance - nothing major but still, the balance is moved a little to the left in midbass and to the right in upper mids. It shouldn't be audible in normal listening to music but it seems there's still stg to improve in quality management.

I was testing them with BT module and Sony ZX300.

It seems there actually is an improvement over Gold version. Overall clarity is a tad better, bass is better defined and stronger and most important - no harshness at upper midrange/highs.
It looks like, Flares PRO2HD are currently best dynamic driver IEMs on the market....

FbD9Tx-Xfse6cyqjAuhwALSL6Q34ShN-nmVSIUJUU4N-CbVJvjwJfPGQCdcGmT7wgn0urlhsDJ3tHErZQaf7zfwEt6lKUNq0X9mxM1EhQNZlqL5Cu2PzXzYWttTs1ZjzDIXQDRnNrU0tWqi4i91dIpWQSrUGhsonQNfoBmnc2_Z7rbioSIP5AE0LcWZKqJa28-srZLMKX8hexMBZVhm5ysZkUyk3JR_90xD9NXJQVMV5O5DU1Y4e5b4TAgXf-7bXZdhs3_PATx8Cacvz8JJ1Zzt4x6_SoZ3TPLB6yS-rOadT7zxrPB1e0YZN9jzs-ODUKL4FHrZ-XFF9xQyXJgZ9GKPwo4Rfrh5k6JsqpUECLhQdkxH54Ws1iD3LnykYsantm_7XjYALELGtlZ5GmkipSheygTnn7g_q5ifNw2Hf79imF-Q6tGLFjcYhl5ouMv803LgDzaBD9sq_LMWUm2miKHn5_D6yCMbhFcXodYnMV3iK9ITdL_V7ckfFUeHDH0UNDGVW5p-DfIpeu5pzBtgRYuurF8YAO5nfgfbdRXwFwa5GZ8sWLecV4z_s3SoDfIFyx7Am6KDr0SVc_1CltbEN_gPrWGvCFJXszN_B5ZBfYjSctKycpneTjGyqN-EvGnH_6fEhYEDJ6CVz3_YKAlNd5P-k7kAu20rB=w1250-h937-no

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,037 of 1,354
@McCol - How do you think they compare to the CL2? I had a session with them this afternoon - definitely my favourite Flare IEM so far. Still haven't run them off against the Pro 2, but I'm just loving the tone of these things.

That's a bit of a tricky one to answer if I'm honest.

There is quite a difference in sound profile between the two. The CL2 to me are very detailed, at times sharp and fast with a defined bass.
The Pro HD2 are also detailed in the mids and highs but not with the same sharpness to the music, the bass is also very defined but with more of a sub bass kick, has a real kick to my ears.

For me I find the HD2 to be the more musical and laid back of the two, not better though just different.

I think Flare have made a cracking earphone with the HD2, the sound from these for the price us stunning.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #1,038 of 1,354
I'm such a sucker - I had promised myself that I wouldn't be taken in by Flare's new models and their discounts any more! Their depreciation is terrible and they muck around with prices so much that it is guaranteed to loose you money to be one of the first to buy a pair of anything new, even with their discounts. I bet these 2HDs will be available for half price in the next 6 months or they'll release a new high-end model in 2 months time.... But here were are again and my 2HDs look like they have arrived. I'll collect them later today.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #1,039 of 1,354
I'm such a sucker - I had promised myself that I wouldn't be taken in by Flare's new models and their discounts any more! Their depreciation is terrible and they muck around with prices so much that it is guaranteed to loose you money to be one of the first to buy a pair of anything new, even with their discounts. I bet these 2HDs will be available for half price in the next 6 months or they'll release a new high-end model in 2 months time.... But here were are again and my 2HDs look like they have arrived. I'll collect them later today.

Same here :)
This time you won't be disappointed even if they muck us again with prices. PRO 2HD are worth it.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #1,041 of 1,354
I was so impressed by these (even though I received 2 pairs with some visual flaws) that I actually wrote a quick review of them with a bit of my history with the brand :)
I think it might be my final IEM :) Unless they release stg else in the future...

BTW. I've asked about the BT module and stg is in the works. I don't know when or if and whether it'll be software or hardware update but I think LDAC and aptHD might be coming.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/flare-pro-2hd.23660/reviews#review-21855

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #1,042 of 1,354
Listening to the 2HD now and I agree, this is a step up in level from the guys at Flare. They have priced it aggressively, and it definitely competes with stuff a lot higher up the price chain.

Should hopefully have my 4.4mm balanced cable determination arriving in the next day or so - looking forward to trying it out with the Ibasso DX200/Amp8 combo to see how it responds to a better source.

Initial takeaway is that these are musical, organic and very clear, with a great bass impact for a 5.5mm driver. Does like a bit of power to get the best out of the driver, though.

The pressure balancing tech they are using does have an interesting side effect, too. Find myself listening at slightly louder levels than I usually do, as I don't get any feeling of pressure build up or listening fatigue, even after long sessions. The housing design is a little more comfortable for my ears, too, so have a tendency to wear them for longer sessions.

This one really deserves to capture the attention of more people on here - have a feeling that by lowering the pricetag they will probably shift more units but get overlooked by some of the pricetag snobs who assume the sound can't be a good as other IEMs in the $1k+ bracket. Hoping that isn't the case - these aren't cheap, but they just could be pretty special.

Good news about the upgraded BT module, whenever that surfaces.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,043 of 1,354
Speaking of upgrades...

15543272519098778679732072847547.jpg
15543273358874710802242222439783.jpg

My very own 4.4mm terminated Flares Pro 2HD (with a nice Eidolic connector to boot) courtesy of @alpha421 / Triton Cables.

Let the listening commence! :wink:

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,044 of 1,354
It's official - they pair VERY well with the DX200/Amp8.

Flare really should offer balanced cables as standard for these things (note - I don't subscribe to the "balanced is always better" school of thought, it's just some of my favourite DAPs happen tob have a very good balanced implementation).

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #1,045 of 1,354
Nice looking cable :beerchug:

I'm not surprised about the benefits of balanced with Flare iems. Like you, I've owned all the models, except for those generic looking Jet models. All of them benefit with essentially more power, which balance brings to the table over SE. Next to synergy, power is everything in this insane hobby, IMO.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #1,046 of 1,354
Got mine today - mmm... not sure yet! Listening to HiFlight's (member here, has earlier Flares) own binaural recording of rain and thunderstorm, the rain is perceivably more palpable on my Golds than the 2HDs - the individual drops feel more real and placed around you with the Golds, whilst they blend into general, surrounding background with the 2HDs. Could that mean actually less detail, slower driver response, or simply different frequency responses? Is 2HD perceived extra detail from a FR change to another part of the spectrum compared to Golds, speed of driver is the same? Or real extra detail, faster driver response, in the 2HD but change in FR from Golds?
Other than that, I was tired so couldn't remember between changing over, what the previous one sounded like (I guess meaning that they're very close?). This is on my A&K AK320. I'll do more listening ...

Also, a personal thing, but they seemed not to fit as well, changing tone when I move my jaw, whilst all my others don't. Could be they're weighted differently or need inserting to a different depth than the others. I'll keep checking!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,047 of 1,354
Well, I'm intrigued and might think about buying these. I have the Golds, which are superb, especially for classical music. Then again I might do what I've done with all of the Flares I've bought and wait until someone wants to hand them on for a lesser price. I'm in London on the 16th for six nights and maybe I could arrange a trip down to Lancing to see where they make them and get an audition that way.

Off topic, my traveling iems will probably be the Pros. Paired with the A&K Jr they sound great.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,048 of 1,354
@LuckyNat let them play a while. They need a little burn-in. You also need the same quality fit to properly compare them.
Maybe try them with BT module? This way you'll eliminate possible synergy problems. Maybe they don't get along with AK320, although it wouldn't make any sense since the drivers and cable are the same as with Golds. .. Tonality is not that different either

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #1,049 of 1,354
I've done some more listening, same tracks over and over. Another thing you can do with this cable is have one of each in different ears!

I've come to the conclusion that the Gold has either upper treble lift or conversly that the 2HD has an upper treble roll-off. Either way, the Gold has a little more treble which to me comes across as more open sounding, airy and possibly brings out more immediacy from some transients. I've no idea which is the neutral one though!

When I listened with a Gold in one ear and 2HD in the other and panned from side to side on the settings in the DAP, I didn't notice any more detail with one or the other. When both playing together, the FR response difference didn't stand out either (in stereo, it's harder to tell that difference between left and right although I did also test mono by pulling the jack out a bit). When swapping them over completely, I'd think "I didn't hear that detail before.." Then I'd swap back and think, "Oh.. there it is, I can hear it on these too" . I had to keep checking which I had in my ears each time I thought I heard more detail - sometimes with the Golds, sometimes with the 2HD - but each time I went back again, I could hear that "new" detail just as well but just hadn't picked up on it.

So, I'm thinking it's simply a slightly different flavour of the Gold, not better nor worse other than down to taste. Which do I prefer? Dunno... The Golds do feel slightly more comfortable to wear but can't see why, could just be weight balance or the older tips that have squashed down a little. Of course the 2HD is WAY better value than the Golds!

I'm slightly tempted to send them back on the grounds that sooner or later there will be a new model with a new bluetooth module, probably the 2HD. Although it would be good if registered uses of Flares could buy it seperately.. Or I wonder if I could get more back than I paid with the discount if I sell secondhand now??

If you don't already have the Gold, then this 2HD is just as good in my opinion, at less than half the original price.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,050 of 1,354
Initial takeaway is that these are musical, organic and very clear, with a great bass impact for a 5.5mm driver. Does like a bit of power to get the best out of the driver, though.

The pressure balancing tech they are using does have an interesting side effect, too. Find myself listening at slightly louder levels than I usually do, as I don't get any feeling of pressure build up or listening fatigue, even after long sessions. The housing design is a little more comfortable for my ears, too, so have a tendency to wear them for longer sessions.

For sure! I've been convinced by their tech claims simply because the pressure balanced designs just never ever feel harsh or tiring - it was close with the original Flares and their slight mid/treble peak, but still got away with it. Sometimes I'm tempted to set up a microphone to mix in so I never have to bother taking them out of my ears and I can forget they exist - make a kind of aural augmented reality! That would be great actually, to carry around a powerful DSP engine with audio-bending plug-ins.. one day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back