FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,021 of 1,354
Strange. I know tips matters second to individuals ear anatomy, and during all the Flares models, I only used the "audiophile" foam tips with probably deeper than average insertion.

Anyhow, happy listening to all, and to all a good day.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,022 of 1,354
Any more sound impressions compared to Pro 2 or Golds? One thing I'm wondering about is the claim that the new housing reduces cable noise. I do think the cable is somewhat microphonic and greatly benefits from a shirt clip so I am curious about this claim.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #1,023 of 1,354
Got mine this morning. Didn't bring an SE source so been running out of the Bluetooth adapter. Initial impressions are very good - seems to take the slightly more organic tonality and forward midrange of the Pro 2, and blend with the more refined sound of the Gold.

I sold the Gold a little while ago (decided to keep the Pro 2 as my high end Flare model), but should be able to compare the 2 and 2 HD in more detail soon.

There is definitely something different about the HD, though. The detail they talk about is readily apparent, but they sound as smooth as butter - no peakiness or harshness so far. They look incredible, too.

Colour me impressed.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,024 of 1,354
There is definitely something different about the HD, though. The detail they talk about is readily apparent, but they sound as smooth as butter - no peakiness or harshness so far.

Sounds kind of counter intuitive to me, but if Flare figured out how to increase detail without the addition of harshness or fatigue while remaining smooth, I'm in! I appreciate the quick response and look forward to your detailed comparison. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,025 of 1,354
Sounds kind of counter intuitive to me, but if Flare figured out how to increase detail without the addition of harshness or fatigue while remaining smooth, I'm in! I appreciate the quick response and look forward to your detailed comparison. Thanks!

It's possible to get both, but only in the real TOTL monitors I've heard (or own), like the Empire Ears Zeus. It's a sort of "natural resolution", where they achieve clarity without artificially pushing a peak in the upper range to give an artificially sharpened edge to notes and trick you into thinking you are hearing more detail than you actually are.

Before anyone takes this the wrong way, I'm NOT suggesting the 2HD are more detailed than the Zeus (not much is!), but it gives that same sense of inner clarity rather than an emphasised peak somewhere. It's either genuine resolution or some very clever tuning.

Will actually be comparing these against the Zeus at some point as well, just to see, but need to give them some more serious ear time first, just to get an idea of where they actually sit in terms of performance and tuning.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,026 of 1,354
It's possible to get both, but only in the real TOTL monitors I've heard (or own), like the Empire Ears Zeus.

It's funny you mention Zeus because that is one iem I kind of always thought I would love but never purchased mainly due to the large housing and price. I'm not expecting the Pro 2HD to best the Zeus, but if it is comparable in some respects, that would be very high praise indeed!

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,028 of 1,354
@Jackpot77 Glad you're seeing similar improvements over the previous models. I still need to give some quality time to these IEM's as I feel the best is yet to come and I don't even have a good source. Interesting to hear that they're coming close to an IEM which is considered end game for most people. I doubt i'll ever get to try the Zeus but it's nice to know I've come somewhat close. :)

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,031 of 1,354
A few days in with the Pro HD2 and got to say I'm loving them.

Listening to the live Lou Reed album Take No Prisoners is pure joy, the bass from these is sublime, textured and detailed with a superb kick when its required.

I stick by my initial thoughts on vocals and mids, a bit more forward in the mix for me compared to previous Flare products.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,032 of 1,354
@McCol - How do you think they compare to the CL2? I had a session with them this afternoon - definitely my favourite Flare IEM so far. Still haven't run them off against the Pro 2, but I'm just loving the tone of these things.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,033 of 1,354
Forgot to mention - been so impressed with both these and the Pro 2 that I've got a great coming in the next few weeks from Triton Audio (also known as alpha421 on here) - a reterminated Flare cable in 4.4mm balanced. Looking forward to running the Pro 2 HD from my DX200 / Amp8 combo to see if they scale...

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,034 of 1,354
I've been meaning to do that for so long but never found an easily available 2.5mm plug that I liked the look of (I only see those ones with carbon fibre look sleeves that look cheap, or very basic mickle ones).

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,035 of 1,354
Just got them (Flares 2HD I mean). I'm a bit miffed since they put the wrong value on invoice which raised import duty imposed on me, but the sound these little beauties produce makes me forget about all that. They're so dang good, if I were to use flowery audiophile language to describe them, I'd say that they're the most mature sounding out of all Flares line-up I've ever heard yet (barring the Jet family since I've never heard them).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back