Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Apr 23, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #2,731 of 3,098
Colour doesn't matter much as there's nothing sticking out other than the headphones. Tips sit deep in your ear.

I've sent Connect Hearing an e-mail to see what's involved in making ear canal impressions. The alternative here is Pacific Ears who do both the molds and the sleeves but they weren't prepared to work on anything seen as non-mainstream. A pity as I could have got the whole lot done without posting etc.

Your guy in Adelaide seems to have done a great job so I'll guess I'll send him my R2As when I get the impressions done.

How much more significant was the improvement in sound quality. These Flares are pretty amazing and to make them considerably better is a delicious prospect.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,732 of 3,098
FWIW I contacted Lear Hk and they said that they could make custom eartips for Flare R2. I don't even have to send the phones (though it's better if I do) since they'll simply make the custom tips to fit Comply T200-compatible nozzles.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2,733 of 3,098
  FWIW I contacted Lear Hk and they said that they could make custom eartips for Flare R2. I don't even have to send the phones (though it's better if I do) since they'll simply make the custom tips to fit Comply T200-compatible nozzles.

I know theres another company called Snugs that does this 
https://snugsearphones.co.uk/shops/

Not sure if LEAR does it cheaper, been interested in some of these. but the cost really put me off

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,735 of 3,098
how much improvement do custom tips do?
i put glue tac behind the tip and interestingly i get even better sound.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,737 of 3,098
Was that Blu Tack? More information please.

haha ye, just roll some tack into a tube and turn tip out and put tack roll around the stalk and make a ring, then put tip sleave back over the tack and put in your ear. at first just make impression by pushing iem with tip in ear a few times wiggle it to make good impression it will make the shape, and after that you can use it. the shape stays the same, and i put the right way cause i know where cable is down its where to point when putting it in ear.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #2,738 of 3,098
haha ye, just roll some tack into a tube and turn tip out and put tak roll around the stalk and make a ring, then put tip sleave back over the tack and put in your ear. at first just make impression by pushing iem with tip in ear a few times wiggle it to make good impression it will make the shape, and after that you can use it. the shape stays the same, and i put the right way cause i know where cable is down its where to point when putting it in ear.

Nicely done! Looks like those sony hybrids with foams

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,740 of 3,098
Hi, I've been desperately trying to find someone who can compare the FL r2As with Hifiman re400s. i liked the re400s but they were just a bit bass shy and they got a bit boring to listen to. I've been after something with similar or better mids but a touch more bass. I don't really want to pay £100 and get a sound that is far too similar to the re400s, and from searching it's difficult to decide if they'd be an upgrade or not?!

thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,741 of 3,098
  Hi, I've been desperately trying to find someone who can compare the FL r2As with Hifiman re400s. i liked the re400s but they were just a bit bass shy and they got a bit boring to listen to. I've been after something with similar or better mids but a touch more bass. I don't really want to pay £100 and get a sound that is far too similar to the re400s, and from searching it's difficult to decide if they'd be an upgrade or not?!

thanks in advance

Isn't overamped drama on a different thread? Viz:

des·per·ate
ˈdesp(ə)rət/
adjective
feeling, showing, or involving a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,742 of 3,098
  Isn't overamped drama on a different thread? Viz:

des·per·ate
ˈdesp(ə)rət/
adjective
feeling, showing, or involving a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.

I have a long flight from the UK to Australia next Monday and my current IEMs have broken so i am desperate to get a new pair by the end of the week, and a pair i can enjoy.

Also you know fine well I wasn't being as literal as that, so stop being a smart ass and maybe offer something constructive instead of pulling apart posts for the adjectives they use. Anyway, apologies if you have mental illness and can't help it and thank you for your contribution.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,743 of 3,098
so far sound is epic with the zuperdac

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #2,744 of 3,098
Haven't heard R2A and it's been a long time since I auditioned RE400 (I thought it sounded unnatural at that time). But I know someone who quickly sold his then-new RE600 since he thought his modded R2A were better. Take it as you will.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,745 of 3,098
I haven't heard the RE400's, but I have the TDK BA200, which I've read are similar. (This review has a comparison between them: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/tdk-ba200/)

The Flares (I have the R2Pro but I've read that the R2's are all very similar to each other) have noticeably more bass than the BA200, but how much more is dependent on how tightly the end caps are screwed on - the bass decreases with increased tightness. When the end caps are screwed on as tightly as they can be, the bass is still more than the BA200, but not that much more - it's still a rather balanced frequency response.

Warning though, that too much tightening of the cable can damage it. You can also mod the Flares to more safely adjust the bass amount, with less risk to the cable. See this post for details: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766183/flare-audio-r2pro-kickstarter-campaign/1905#post_11842307

The soundstage is much larger on the Flares - it's one of their best qualities - that and the bass depth & texture, but the midrange and treble are pushed slightly further back compared to the BA200. The mids on the Flares are still lovely, just not as forward and emphasized. Also, the treble can be a touch peaky on the Flares, although this can be resolved with the right tips - such as complies (which the Flares come with) or other foams or using the teabag mod (mentioned in this thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back