Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,566 of 3,098
Alright so going between delta and r2a and ve monk r2a is definitily best earphone. and r2a definitely the best sounding earphone that i bought. so ye good on you. im using it with cozoy aegis which is ridiculously loud dac and it pairs with it natively in terms of volume.

Yeah, the extra power is very welcome for the R2A. It has a deceptively low impedance rating, but actually requires a bit more juice to get to an adequate volume.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,567 of 3,098
Just received my R2Pros and am very impressed by the soundstage and bass quality. I'm coming from SE425s which sound quite flat in comparison.

I bought them from amazon.co.uk and was slightly disappointed they didn't come a carrying case.

More importantly, the end caps of the left and right earpieces are screwed in to different heights.

Photo is here:
http://s24.postimg.org/74c7012w5/IMG_0329.jpg

Left earpiece is on the left; right on the right.

I've searched through this thread and there seems to have been a lot of discussion around the end caps. My box came with a small leaflet explicitly saying not to adjust them, and that they should not be screwed in flush! I've emailed Flare to get the official response on the "correct" height. Will update when/if I get a response.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,568 of 3,098
  Just received my R2Pros and am very impressed by the soundstage and bass quality. I'm coming from SE425s which sound quite flat in comparison.

I bought them from amazon.co.uk and was slightly disappointed they didn't come a carrying case.

More importantly, the end caps of the left and right earpieces are screwed in to different heights.

Photo is here:
http://s24.postimg.org/74c7012w5/IMG_0329.jpg

Left earpiece is on the left; right on the right.

I've searched through this thread and there seems to have been a lot of discussion around the end caps. My box came with a small leaflet explicitly saying not to adjust them, and that they should not be screwed in flush! I've emailed Flare to get the official response on the "correct" height. Will update when/if I get a response.

You can check with a tone generator if bass below 200Hz is centered. From your picture, I'd expect it to be stronger on the right side, but you never know...

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,569 of 3,098
To get the end caps screwed in the right amount, it would be nice if Flare would tell us the size gap needed. This could then be measured and set using spark plug feeler gauges. The gauges are cheap at an auto parts store. We can use them now to make sure both earpieces are the same.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,571 of 3,098
Yeah, the extra power is very welcome for the R2A. It has a deceptively low impedance rating, but actually requires a bit more juice to get to an adequate volume.

i still get listenable volume on iphone. including when going out.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2,572 of 3,098
I received an interesting reply from Flare saying that the calibration tests can result in one cap looking more tightly screwed than another. Apparently it's just the nature of them that one side looks different.

I'm not sure what to take from this.

That there is no "correct" height?

Do they bass-match the earpieces during calibration to account for differences in the left and right drivers?

This is assuming that there is a bass variation with different end cap heights. Using the tone generator, I didn't hear a noticeable difference.

Quite odd that they didn't design the end caps to stop at a certain point. Instead, we have this analogue system which may have an effect on the sound signature.

All this aside, they do sound fantastic!

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,573 of 3,098
i still get listenable volume on iphone. including when going out.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's not doable without an amp, I just run it out of an iPod Touch 5g myself, just it's a little more hard hitting on battery because of it. Still sounds great!

I received an interesting reply from Flare saying that the calibration tests can result in one cap looking more tightly screwed than another. Apparently it's just the nature of them that one side looks different.

Do they bass-match the earpieces during calibration to account for differences in the left and right drivers?

This is assuming that there is a bass variation with different end cap heights. Using the tone generator, I didn't hear a noticeable difference.

Quite odd that they didn't design the end caps to stop at a certain point. Instead, we have this analogue system which may have an effect on the sound signature.

Perhaps this sort of mismatch while still sounding right is how they account for manufacturing tolerances? Any person familiar with manufacturing can tell you that while the specs match up, the actual physical products doesn't always match the written specs no matter how precise the machines doing the manufacturing are. Nothing is perfect, including machines.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2,574 of 3,098

There have been several reports of variance, drivers not sliding in to the exact same depth, soldering being a bit different, o-rings slightly askew. Any of these may cause variance in rear air volume and flow, and might lead to different end cap positions upon calibration. If you're getting centered bass with test tones and think they sound fantastic with music, then simply stop worrying about the endcaps and enjoy your Flares!
smile_phones.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,575 of 3,098

There have been several reports of variance, drivers not sliding in to the exact same depth, soldering being a bit different, o-rings slightly askew. Any of these may cause variance in rear air volume and flow, and might lead to different end cap positions upon calibration. If you're getting centered bass with test tones and think they sound fantastic with music, then simply stop worrying about the endcaps and enjoy your Flares!
smile_phones.gif

Agreed, it's all about manufacturing tolerance. Honestly, if it sounds like everything is fine, it probably is. No need to spend more time worrying about it than you have to, just sit back and enjoy the music!
etysmile.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #2,578 of 3,098
  Can I run my Pros balanced if I replace the 3.5mm TRS with a 2.5mm TTRS AK pinout? Do they run 4 wires to the plug? I've got a DP-X1 DAP that would run great balanced with the Flares.

Not with the existing wiring.  There is a wire going up to each driver and the shielding is the common ground.  The shielding attaches to the other connection on the driver and merges at the splitter.  Traditionally the ground also has a different resistance to the other line as well, and they need to be identical in balanced wiring.

As far as I know anyway..

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,580 of 3,098
Thanks mate. I'll have to wait for Flare to get off their hands and launch the balanced cable as they promised

Any idea WHEN? I was thinking of buying a new cable-drivers kit and make it balanced but I would wait for the original solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back